I'm still relatively new at this stuff, but I did quite a bit of research for months lately, and I've gotten some helpful info from professionals, and home studio owners.
I'm no expert at recording and treating, I still have a lot to learn.

A form of acoustic treatment most often mentioned is bass traps, and thats what I will focus on in this thread.

So I will mostly quote some very helpful people, as they get the point across very well about the importance of bass traps, and tips to build them.

"Putting up foam without bass traps will only make the sound worse, as you are killing your high frequencies, but not the low ones, which is where the bigger problem is."

"foam does help recording spaces, but unless you get some bass traps like he said then the cake will only be half-baked."

"So, like ____ suggested in the other thread, bass traps in the corners, a cloud over the drums, as many gobos and broad-band absorbers as possible. I'll insist again that foam and carpeting will only make your room sound worse. In 99% of rooms, bass is 99% of the problem. Without materials that can absorb bass frequencies, all you're doing is killing the highs and mids. You're now making bass 100% of your problem and making a small room sound more box-y than it already is. The bass traps, cloud, gobos and absorbers need to contain the proper materials like rigid fibreglass or a few other materials that are acceptable."

Ok, you may be wondering how to get these bass traps now.
The answer is rather simple: Build them. Really, this is actually the fun part!

You will need some type of frame, rigid fiberglass or rockwool (can be had online for relatively cheap, also check locally), a cover for going over the fiberglass, like a bed sheet.

You can also build gobos (to be used with bass traps is the best option, but you can also use a few gobos on their own as well), which are a very good option if portability and compactness is a concern.

Quotes: "Those are what we call Gobos. And they are a great idea if your for portable room room treatment when your in a position where you can't hang panels from your walls. They can be used for anything and everything to cut down on reflections and semi-isolate the instruments."

"A broadband absorber is, or can be, a bass trap. It's effectiveness is based upon thickness, material used, and placement. Using gobos, is a way to reduce reflections in a room. How efficient they are in any particular room, is a trial and error kinda deal. You would use them if you hear an issue."

" I have over 20 2'X4' 4" thick rockwool panels that I built for under $500. It is probably the best investment I have made in my studio. If you are handy with a circular saw, drill, knife, scissors and stapler, or know somebody who is that owes you a favor, absorption panels are quite cheap."

Question:
I have anothr question. How should i use these if i dont want to completely kill my room's sound? Im a big fan of room sounds, but it is something that will play against you if the room is not treated properly. I know some guys place gobos around amps in order to fully isolate the mic from any other source, but i would like some natural reverb on my recordings.

Answer:

Natural reverb is very important IMO. Depending on the size of your room, I doubt that even 50% coverage of walls would make a room sound dead. My 20 panels in two 27X15' rooms, does not even come close to sounding dead. Just more controlled. Even my drum room which has concrete walls and floor, 8 4" hanging wall panels, with the whole ceiling filled with 4" rockwool, has plenty of ambiance.

Roxul 80 is what I am using.

Question:
"One more thing: oc703 is sold in packs of 6, so I had this in mind:

Building 2 double gobos (2 panels attached together each, so they can be folded and stand on their own)
This would leave me with 2 more panels, so I was thinking about cutting them in half and stacking them to have two 2'x2' bass traps with double thickness (4'')

Do you think this would be a good choice? Or should I just build 3 double gobos and then build bass traps in a few months? I know just two small bass traps wont solve all of my room troubles, but I want to work with some panels first and then build some more. Also, my room is small so I guess bass build up wont be as severe as in bigger rooms."

Answer:
"Do what ever you think is going to be most applicable for your room. Either way, your going to have to buy another bundle in the future anyway. Option 1, will probably give you the most immediate results with a better quality drum recording. How ever, I personally wouldn't make smaller bass traps, just make a 2, 2x4 traps for your corners. And then with the next bundle build proper bass traps, and then use the ones you've already built as broad bands for your side walls or to make more gobos."

This is a lot of info I found that helped me out, and hopefully can help you out if you are looking into making some of these, or if you want to record.
I would link to some pages to give you some instructions to build them, but unfortunately they are from commercial sites. You can easily Google it and find tons of DIY's on making gobos and bass traps.

If any of the experts here have something they want to add, let me know and I'll put it in!