Thread: What is your opinion?

User Info Menu

Default What is your opinion?

I am considering getting a portable recorder. I have looked at the Zoom H 1 and the TASCAM DR-07mkII. I want something small, easy to use and not too expensive. Any thoughts?
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is your opinion?

Drumsetsnide, I've owned and used the Zoom H4. I sold it to a drummer buddy of mine and purchased its replacement, the Zoom H4n. Both of these units are fantastic and they come with Cubase LE software. The Zoom H4n has features that the H4 did not and if you can, I would go with the H4n. I bought mine used and I see them regularly selling from $200 on up. These two units are the only portable recorders that I've used, but they both do such a phenomenal job that I can honestly and highly recommend either one.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

iv seen some good results from both and zooms video recorder

in a perfect world you could go to a music store see what sounds best?

maybe play a collector DW to test them out

User Info Menu

I have owned the Tascam DR-07 MKll about 2 years now and have been very pleased. It's loaded with recording options so much that it would be helpful to know more than just recording basics, very sensitive. I record all of our jam sessions most last 3-4 hours without turning it off. It attaches to a any tri-pod via the threaded insert on the back and it takes a beating.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming.

itchie, DW makes nice drums but I will stick with my Tama's and Gretch. Thanks for the suggestion though
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

I have used the Zoom Q3 a couple times because my friend has one along with some other cool camera gear. For someone without mics, it's a great investment. I've heard nothing but good reviews on it. Plenty of demos of it on YouTube.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I like the zoom q3. Its a great pocket recorder that does crappy video. Its very sensitive to light I would get the q3 hd if I were buying now. Its less finicky with light.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Field recording isn't bad, if that's your only option for one reason or another. Preferrably you want to tweak each part of the kit seperately, but for a solid mono mix you can't really lose. I have the zoom h4n(audio only) and really like it! Not too hard to use I think, has enough features for me:
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

After hearing some suggestions, the Zoom H4n is looking pretty nice. Here are my next questions. Do I really need the XLR's? ALso, I was looking at the Zoom H2n and there are four different settings/patterns for the built in mics- XY, 2ch, 4ch and MS (XY with mid-side). With the H4n, I'm only getting the XY. Any benefit to the H2n having four micing options? I have heard some samples of the recordings from the H4n and I'm pretty impressed.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    After hearing some suggestions, the Zoom H4n is looking pretty nice. Here are my next questions. Do I really need the XLR's? ALso, I was looking at the Zoom H2n and there are four different settings/patterns for the built in mics- XY, 2ch, 4ch and MS (XY with mid-side). With the H4n, I'm only getting the XY. Any benefit to the H2n having four micing options? I have heard some samples of the recordings from the H4n and I'm pretty impressed.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the H4n is the only Zoom recorder that has a 4-channel mic option.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

XY is all I wanted when I was looking around for something, to me it's the perfect setup for a pair of overheads. I never tried to access the other modes, but I believe it would have them since the h4n is the upgraded model of the h2n. The xlr's are for using optional microphones, and if used you switch to a different recording mode(one of the ones I never messed with) and they activate that way. The main attraction though is this device allows you to get reasonably good sound from anywhere - it's like a portable cheaper studio that most people can afford.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the H4n is the only Zoom recorder that has a 4-channel mic option.
    The H2n does have the 4ch option. I was looking into them as well as the H4n. I see two H4n's new on the internet, one for $179 and another for $189.

What I like about either of the Zooms is they come with the editing software and they come with an adapter that you can screw on and put it on a mic stand using a mic clip. Very cool.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 04-01-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    XY is all I wanted when I was looking around for something, to me it's the perfect setup for a pair of overheads. I never tried to access the other modes, but I believe it would have them since the h4n is the upgraded model of the h2n. The xlr's are for using optional microphones, and if used you switch to a different recording mode(one of the ones I never messed with) and they activate that way. The main attraction though is this device allows you to get reasonably good sound from anywhere - it's like a portable cheaper studio that most people can afford.
    I started out using the XY to record shows and rehearsals. But, I also used both the H4 and H4n hooked up directly from the mixing board with great results. I now use my H4n to record rehearsals coming out of the "JamHub" with excellent results as well. If you don't know what a JamHub is, Google it. This unit is awesome for band rehearsals!
    "it is what it is"

User Info Menu

drumsetsnide, I got the Tascam DR-07mkII over the Zoom H1 because the Tascam unit allowed me to slow the playback without changing the sound. The Zoom H1 couldn't do that. For me, I liked that I could record someone else playing something that I wanted to learn, and then I could slow it down to make sure I understood it.

I decided not to step up to the Zoom H4N just because it seemed so far over my head, and I got the Tascam recorder on sale, so there was a decent price difference. Love the Tascam, but I'm sure the Zoom H4N is excellent as well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Mate, I use this. It's not exactly a portable (although it takes batteries), but for it's small size, you get a lot of features jammed in.
    I use this for all my ideas at home, and it hasn't let me down once. This retailed for about $750.00 AUS about 5 years ago.
    They're a dis-continued line from BOSS, but if you could find a 2nd hand one, you'd be laughing because they're fantastic mate.

Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Mate, I use this. It's not exactly a portable (although it takes batteries), but for it's small size, you get a lot of features jammed in.
    I use this for all my ideas at home, and it hasn't let me down once. This retailed for about $750.00 AUS about 5 years ago.
    They're a dis-continued line from BOSS, but if you could find a 2nd hand one, you'd be laughing because they're fantastic mate.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Zoom H4n or the H2n. Both have the playback features to slow the music down without changing the pitch or you can change the pitch as well if needed. Also the both plug directly into the board, the H4n via the xlr's and the H2n via an 1/8 plug. Hmmm... And they all come with editing software and all kinds of other on-board features and goodies. For "major" recording we/I will just use the board and the studio, of course. But this will be a nice beneficial tool for us/me to get rough recordings and to remember and expand upon ideas when we are doing free jamming or when recording is not an option at a gig.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro