Thread: Learning songs.

User Info Menu

Default Learning songs.

Hey guys, this is a weird one.

I've been playing for a year next week, but I've yet to learn a full song. I've recorded several covers of songs from the charts (trying to keep my musical taste open) but I've learnt nothing song wise, I've learnt no songs of my personal taste at all.

This is mostly because I primarily listen to Five Finger Death Punch, Amon Amarth and Lamb Of God (All metal bands). I cannot at all get double bass to work for me, I can't seem to do any of the methods (slide, heel toe ect.) So I decided to strip back my double bass pedal and walk before I can run.

So my question is, what songs did you guys learn to play with a single bass pedal? I'd prefer metal/rock but I'll play anything from blues to jazz and back again. If you know a song I can learn that has sheet music up online that'd be fantastic, but if not I always need oppurtunity to learn by ear.

Thanks again,
    Aiden.

My Kit:
    Mapex Horizon HZB in Transparrent Cherry.
    Consisting of 10" and 16" Toms.
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.
    Toms have Aquarian Perfomance II, snare has ambassador coated.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    20" Paiste 400 Power Ride.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning songs.

Hmmm. Grab a few Led Zepplin songs off Itunes and just start getting the bass beat down and go from there adding snare and accents. Zepplin songs are a blast to play and every body knows them when they hear'm. Playing alot of Zepplin will also help in speeding that one foot pedal up alittle too. But in all, Bonham beats are just fun to play. Zepplin songs are ageless........ I like playing "When the Levy Breaks" and "Kashmir". I'm still working on "The Immigrant song".

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

How are you going to learn metal that requires a double bass pedal without using one? I would try a metal song that uses less double bass or else slower speeds of it, like One from Metallica. You can still use the double, just take baby steps with it. Try out some drills and exercises from an instructional dvd too if you have one.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

For something double bass and simple try Red Hot by Motley Crue. Just straight 4/4 with 8th notes on the bass drum. For something fairly basic in the rock genre, mostly 4/4 and simple straight forward timing and changes try some AC/DC.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

@Russ. I'm practicing double bass, just don't want to stick it into songs just yet because I'm mauling them (not in a good way) So playing single pedalled stuff.

My Kit:
    Mapex Horizon HZB in Transparrent Cherry.
    Consisting of 10" and 16" Toms.
    14" Snare and 22" Bass.
    Toms have Aquarian Perfomance II, snare has ambassador coated.

Cymbal Array:
    14" Pearl CX-200 Hats.
    16" B8 Rock Crash.
    20" Paiste 400 Power Ride.
    10" Meinl MCS Splash.

User Info Menu

Hm.. I agree with drumsetsnide on here as far as simple songs go. AC/DC are very easy to play to. Guns n Roses, as well. Then Possibly Nirvana should be fun to play to.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Looking back on my experiences as a drummer over the last 8+ years, I can't think of too many songs I learned simply for the sake of learning them - probably fewer than 20. Most of the time if I learn a song it's going to be because I am going to perform it at some point in the near future so I need to know it in order to be able to successfully execute it and fulfill my role in the band.

Occasionally I'll find a song I like and learn it though, but without knowing where you are as a player it's tough to give any advice about that. 1 year is not a long time on an instrument, but some drummers go a long way in that time while others are still struggling with some basic concepts like time and tempo, structure, dynamics, etc.

My advice would be to listen to some old AC/DC and find something in their catalog of stuff you like and learn that. While some of the drum parts are pretty simple, they are nicely structured and are great for the songs, so you could do a lot worse for things to learn. A cool one to approach is the old tried and true "Back in Black."
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    Hey guys, this is a weird one.

I've been playing for a year next week, but I've yet to learn a full song. I've recorded several covers of songs from the charts (trying to keep my musical taste open) but I've learnt nothing song wise, I've learnt no songs of my personal taste at all.

This is mostly because I primarily listen to Five Finger Death Punch, Amon Amarth and Lamb Of God (All metal bands). I cannot at all get double bass to work for me, I can't seem to do any of the methods (slide, heel toe ect.) So I decided to strip back my double bass pedal and walk before I can run.

So my question is, what songs did you guys learn to play with a single bass pedal? I'd prefer metal/rock but I'll play anything from blues to jazz and back again. If you know a song I can learn that has sheet music up online that'd be fantastic, but if not I always need oppurtunity to learn by ear.

Thanks again,
    Aiden.
    You want heavy, hard-hittin' stuff, right? Some of this stuff has some double-bass fills every now and then, but all are pretty much 95% straight single (you can always get creative with the toms on the fills).

Helmet - Unsung

Carcass - Blackstar

Probot - Shake your Blood (with Dave Grohl, Wino, and Lemmy!)

Down - Lifer

Entombed - Rotton Soil

Alice in Chains - Them Bones

Pantera - 5 Minues Alone (it'll be a sonofab***h, but it can be done!)

Strife - Blistered (one of my favs)

The Haunted - Choke Hold (almost all singles)

Good luck!