Thread: Do You Start Big or Small (Tom Tuning)

User Info Menu

Default Do You Start Big or Small (Tom Tuning)

When you tune your toms do you start with your smallest tom and work down or your largest tom and work up? Bonus question: Do you tune the reso or batter first?

When I'm tuning all the toms, I tune them in this order, 16, 14, 12, 10. I tune the reso first then the batter.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do You Start Big or Small (Tom Tuning)

I start with my biggest tom, to the smallest. I don't want to wind up coming to the floor tom and having to either tune it so low I get a muddy sound, or having to go back through and tune all the other toms higher so they fit together. I tune batter to reso.

User Info Menu

On my Catalina Maple kit, my 10" tom is the one that is the most finicky, so I start there and get the tone I want - isolating the heads, and then tuning them the same. After I get the 10" tom right, I tune the toms in fourths.

With the 4 piece Catalina Elite kit, it doesn't seem as critical, but I start with the 12" tom just because it's my habit now to start with the smallest 1st. The next time I'm tuning that kit, I might just start with the 14" just to see where things end up.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Never really thought about it. I always start with my highest tom, batter side, then go reso and work my way down. Maybe I'll try to switch it up now
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    When you tune your toms do you start with your smallest tom and work down or your largest tom and work up? Bonus question: Do you tune the reso or batter first?

When I'm tuning all the toms, I tune them in this order, 16, 14, 12, 10. I tune the reso first then the batter.
    I typically start with the 16 and then work my way up to the 10. However, my last tuning, I started with the 10 and worked my way down to the 16. It worked out well for me.

I always tune the Reso's first.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I do the same. Ideally I would start 22, 16, 14, 12, 10 in perfect 4ths
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I tune with my toms off the kit starting with the reso side using a turntable, then the batters. After they are tuned up to the sound I want, I put them back on the kit. I have an 8", 10" 12" 13" 14" floor, and a 16" floor set-up right now. As I feel that the 13" is the most important tom and the the one I use the most, I fine tune that one first. Then go up or down accordingly.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

i start with low tom but not always, and I do the batter first. On my old kit i didnt even use reso heads i pulled them off, but on my home and church kit, I dont even always tune the reso heads depending on what im doing to them.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I start with whatever drum is hardest to get a good sound out of and then tune the rest of the kit around it. I isolate the heads and tune batter then reso.
    But tbh with my Superstars they only need tuning when I put on new heads or change rooms. otherwise its just the occasional tweaking if a drum sounds off.

User Info Menu

I like to tune up the reso first, that way I can keep hitting the batter as I tune up and hear when the two sides match up. When I do tune I usually start with snare and kick, because those are the two drums I use the most. I like to prioritize, whatever i'm going to use i'll tune up but if I don't I won't bother.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

+1 big to small and reso to batter

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Big to small and reso first.

User Info Menu

Same here smallest and resos always first.

doctor dirt Guest

Bass drum first and usually at the sound check so its tuned mic'ed and live. Then the smallest to the largest. I never use more than 2 up & 1 down so the differences between the toms isn't drastic I prefer a tight focussed sound with not a huge seperation between them.
    I also tune to the drum shell tone so the drums dictate how the tuning begins. If thats done first you eliminate rings and overtones from drum to drum. This week I'll be going back to a 4 pc kit that will have Bop sizes so the 8x10 and 14x14 will need to be slightly lower than their timbre natural pitch. I'm hoping the die casts are an addition because sometimes they detract from certain shells. We'll see!!!

Always take your time tuning and find the sweet lug or lugs that really make a difference in the tuning of a particular drum. Doc.

User Info Menu

Big to small and batter first.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

I vary my set ups quite a bit, but generally, for the main set I pick the toms out of a choice of an 8", 10", 12", 13", 14" and 16". What I do is tune the 8" fairly high (not quite timbale-like, but still nice, high pitched and ringy), then tune the 16" floor tom as low as possible without sounding flappy. Then all the other drums will sort of fall into pitches in between those two. I start by getting the batter and resonant heads fairly even (usually I have Remo Clear Ambassadors on top and bottom, so this is easily achieveable). Once all heads are even, then I'll start to tweak around so that the drums sound right for the room or enviroment I'm playing in. With this set of toms, I have the following configurations I like to use: 8", 10", 12", 14" (rack as a floor tom) and 16" floor...8", 10", 12" 13" & 14" (last two are racks used as floors)... 10" 12" & 14"...10", 12" 13" (as rack tom) & 16" floor... 10", 12", 13" and 14" (last two as 'floor toms')...8", 10", 13" & 14" (last two as 'floors')...10" as a single rack tom with 13" & 14" 'floors', 12" as a single rack tom with 14" and 16" 'floors' or 13" as a single rack and either a single or two 16" floors (the one extra tuned a little lower). Once I've picked a particular set up for a situation, one or two toms will be tweaked a little higher or lower, I do this a lot wïth the 13" tom, as it gets paired up with the other lower toms. To this kit I will occasionally add a few little extras such as timbales, mini timbales, roto-toms or octobans, these I would tune up or down only after tweaking the kit toms first, but usually I get them tuned a lot more ringier, or in the case of the octobans, various pitches for a high one for the shortest length (8" deep), right through to a deep throaty sound for the 22".

That's the main kit. I also have one kit which I fitted with Pinstripe heads as batters (Ambassador clears on bottom)- a 12" rack tom and a 16" floor tom. Just a straight out four-piece kit. The floor tom's tuned first......nice and deep sounding - it should hit you in the guts, soundwise) whilst the rack tom has a medium tuning, not dead and too low for it's size, but not high either. This kit just gets used now and then for heavier stuff like punk, but you can even use it for a blues or rock gig.

Then another kit's completely different - that one has all Coated Ambassadors all the way around the batter heads, Clears on the bottom, Coated Ambassador on the bass drum batter head and Fiberskyn resonant. This tuned up like a 1950's jazz bebop set (think Max Roach). The snare's like a biscuit tin....tight! The bass drum, tuned wide open, is just a little lower tuned than the floor tom on my main kit (this bass drum is 18" diameter). As far as the toms go, once again I tuned the 8" rack tom, then went to the lowest, the 14" floor tom, got that the lowest, then the other two toms were tuned accordingly. More often or not, I'll just use the 10" rack tom and 14" floor tom. So I don't go completely ascending or descending in pitch when it comes to toms, I try to find the high and low range limits and then get all of a kit's toms to fall in between those two ends.

And as for the Trixon Co.cktail set? Well, that's another can of worms, that's where the tuning rule-book gets thrown out, lol.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Smallest drum first. Batter first.

User Info Menu

Small tom to big tom. I use about the same tensioning on all my drums and get a pretty consistent result from drum to drum.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Bass drumfirst. Then smallest tom to largest. Reso first then batter.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

small to large excluding BD...I do that first.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

If my reso heads are fine then i just go to tuning the batter. but if my drums get out of tune(which seems to not happen often) then i tune the reso first now that i think of it. then I tune the batter and keep hitting while im tuning it to see where im at, thinking about it now though, i mainly tune the mid tom first then tune the others around it because the mid tom seems to be the hardest to tune.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I usually start with biggest to smallest, reso to batter but end up going back and fourth with this because I might want a certain tone on whatever the high tom is not counting anything higher than a 12". But sometimes if there is a thirteen involved (for instance with a 12" in a 5pc.), I think they're difficult to tune as mentioned.