Thread: Drum ethics.

User Info Menu

Default Drum ethics.

What are your drum ethics? What's the code you drum by? Do you strive to play in different time signatures? Do you strive to play as fast as possible? Do you want to be famous through your drumming? Do you want to be so good, that before you even join a band you've practiced for years and years? (that might be me in a while )

Me, I like playing fast but with a bit of complexity...I do want to be famous through drumming, not so I can be famous for the sake of it, rolling in money and go on MTV or something stupid like that, but because it's currently one of the most important things in my life and it feels like it can lead me to where I want to be, and I'd like it if people could see that in me. Having said that, I wouldn't ever neglect my drumming...oh no.
    I want to get better and better, but by myself, not how someone else tells me. If I can comfortably work out rudiments and play them with speed on my kit I'll be happy. Different time signatures don't seem that important to me, I can visualise them but playing them is a different matter...

So what do you think about your drumming? What are your aims, your styles, your ethics? IN THIS TOPIC, ANYTHING GOES!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Cool Drum ethics...

Great topic, ETF...

...might as well "get the beat goin'," to coin a phrase...

I started late in studying percussion. When I started I just wanted to play congas and bongos like a pro...but when the first bongo book I picked up told me to learn the 26 rudiments, I wanted to be the best drummer I could be. Strange as it sounds, I am a perfectionist--and I learned quickly that it was the worst thing I could be behind a drumset or behind the hand drums.

The drummers I admire most are those who not only have the training and discipline to play their best, but also the ones who enjoy themselves while playing--the ones who know when they're groovin' with their bandmates, and who can laugh at themselves whether they make a mistake in practice or on those rare occasions that things go wrong on a gig (and there's not a single drummer here to whom that hasn't happened!).

They're the ones who practice regularly, even if they don't feel like it; the ones who always want to learn something new (and there's always something new to learn, even if you're uncomfortable or unfamiliar with it at first); the ones who can leave the 'tudes behind them on a gig; and the ones who that there are other things that matter besides drumming (strange for me to say but true!). As a wise person once said, "Life isn't about getting there...it's the journey."

And I have a long way to go on all accounts ...

As for my style of playing, it's no secret I dig Latin music, jazz and for that matter, anything into which bongos and congas can fit. But I enjoy a wide range of music--even though opera leaves me a bit confused!--and there's something to find in all types of music that can be adapted to the way you play.

While I haven't quit my day job because of drumming, I enjoy it as a hobby, as a ministry at my church, and, should the door open for a middle-aged conguero, I hope to make my (uncorrupted) wish of playin' my congas on stage with a Buffett-style or Latin band come true...not necessarily as the leader, but as the dude with the grin on his face that you see on my av...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I drum because it takes me away and relaxes me even though it can be very physical at times. Its a hobby for me too but a hobby that will be with me for life.

I have a PS2 at home and PC games which could take up my time but I choose to play the drums, even if it is diddling away on my pad in front of the tv. Only a fellow drummer would understand I suppose. My beautiful fiance loves it as well and its great that I can entertain her in that way. It adds spice to my life, I am addicted lol.

There is no interest in playing in a band anymore as a full time thing but playing for myself is what I am happy doing at the moment. I want to be able to entertain friends on those special occassions and it is always nice to be able to play nice beats if a mate brings a guitar along to wherever we may go!

User Info Menu

My drum ethics: My number 1 desire as a drummer and the thing I strive to be recognized for is my ability to keep good time. Play at steady tempos. Number 2 play musically - play at the appropriate dynamic level and blend in well with ensemble. Number 3 to learn to be versatile to be able to play in just about any style, know all the basic latin beats, swing, rock, etc.
    Oh and number 4: Enjoy myself doing it!!!

User Info Menu

i have kinda gotten past trying to make it in the next big band as i am getting a little older and have a family now. however i am still set on making my living as a drummer. between teaching and playing with 3 bands i'm almost there. the session market is pretty wide open in my area and my goal is to dominate this region and start earnnig calls to the bigger markets such as NY LA and nashville.
    things that will help me acheive that are... playing for the song and not my ego to be the biggest shredder, keeping a professional working attitude and strong metronome and sight reading skills.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 07-15-2007 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

i just wanna be as good as my name says, i wanna be remembered as "The next bonham, or the next dave lombardo." it's just a mater of talent for me. also i'd like to be the best open handed drummer ever.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

My goal is to be an accomplished, solid drummer whos good at playing many different styles.

User Info Menu

I stive to write songs while thinking "outside the box" Maybe a little melodic sometimes frantic. And I try my best to do stuff creatively without being over the top so to say. Hopefully one day to have a project of mine make some money so I can say I'm a professional musician.

User Info Menu

well mine right now are pretty simple

just look at Church Drummer's ethics! hehe accept right now im not actually practicing different drums styles, but i hope to someday, I also want to build alot more speed in my hands and feet, so i can reach those higher tempos when there set in front of me. but who doesnt?

User Info Menu

in the future, not now cause i think its boringish, but later in life play jazz drums- that stuff is so complicated and hard it would be cool to play

User Info Menu

I really only have 1 goal in drumming: To make other people understand what I am saying without using words. If I see peoples' toes tapping or people out dancing while I am playing, then that is the greatest feeling in the world to me because I set the groove that made those people want to get up and have fun instead of worrying about their troubles. I may not be the fastest or most technical drummer in the world, nor will I ever be, but I am totaly OK with that as long as I can continue to help make the world a happier place by creating music.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Amen, 1DB! I grew up feeling the beat of the drums, and listening to music , or dancing, was always about keying on the rhythm of the drums, for me. That's what I want to do. I'm not sayng that all people are tuned in to the drummer, but for those that are, I want to touch their lives. I also play guitar, because sometimes I can hear music in my head, and I want to be able to communicate what I hear. Ultimately, then, I know I will need to be able to tab my instruments, as well.

Did I mention that I have a lot of work ahead of me? Frankly, I hope it takes me the rest of my life! It'll give me something to do!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    I really only have 1 goal in drumming: To make other people understand what I am saying without using words. If I see peoples' toes tapping or people out dancing while I am playing, then that is the greatest feeling in the world to me because I set the groove that made those people want to get up and have fun instead of worrying about their troubles. I may not be the fastest or most technical drummer in the world, nor will I ever be, but I am totaly OK with that as long as I can continue to help make the world a happier place by creating music.
    That's really deep. And oh so true.

User Info Menu

Whilst I feel it to be true, I also feel that other instruments can convey that emotion greater than drums can...however, I feel that the drums underline the true emotion of the song so if you have a slow tempo beat, you know the song wants to be downsbeat...likewise, if it's fast, you know it's going to be energetic.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Whilst I feel it to be true, I also feel that other instruments can convey that emotion greater than drums can...however, I feel that the drums underline the true emotion of the song so if you have a slow tempo beat, you know the song wants to be downsbeat...likewise, if it's fast, you know it's going to be energetic.

I disagree. If your passionate about what your playing, It's all the same effect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by _Roxy_ View Post
    I disagree. If your passionate about what your playing, It's all the same effect.
    Talk about deep! And you're how old?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ten, PB.