Thread: Roland pads with Yamaha e-kit

User Info Menu

Default Roland pads with Yamaha e-kit

I was planning on building an A/E kit, but $ won't let that happen. So I think I'm just going to upgrade some cymbal pads and my snare (since they bother me the most).

Anyone know if the newer Roland mesh pads (like the PDX8) will work my Yamaha module? They are much cheaper than Yamaha mesh-style pads.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland pads with Yamaha e-kit

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I was planning on building an A/E kit, but $ won't let that happen. So I think I'm just going to upgrade some cymbal pads and my snare (since they bother me the most).

Anyone know if the newer Roland mesh pads (like the PDX8) will work my Yamaha module? They are much cheaper than Yamaha mesh-style pads.
    They should work....the only problems I've heard of, when mixing the two, is that the cymbals trigger differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post

The main trigger (head) will work but the second zone (rim) probably won't trigger consistently..my experience with roland mesh pads on a DTX900 module has shown that the second zone will trigger, but it does require a much more forceful strike…and then it's not consistent..you're best bet would be to save up for the yamaha TCS pads (or keep an eye out for DTXtreme I RHP pads)..with either you'll get much more consistent triggering and they are more quiet and feel more like real drums..just my 2 cents

BTW…there is a Yamaha XP120SD snare pad (TCS) on ebay now for a good price...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 04-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys that's exactly what I was looking for.

If I can find PDX-8 cheap maybe I'll try it out anyway. I don't cross stick or rim shot that much anyone.

Scorch, the Yamaha pad is just so expensive. Is the feel similar to that of the Roland's (I played around on a TD-9 at GC)? If so then maybe I'll try to find one used. I've seen the RHP pads on Ebay occasionally but they are always out of my budget. I might as well get a kit made by Diamond if I'm going to spend a grand.

LG, no mixing of cymbals. I'm going to upgrade to used Yamaha PCY cymbals so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle