Thread: Ear plug question

User Info Menu

Default Ear plug question

Hey everyone, haven't posted here in awhile so glad to be back.
    Anyway, I currently own the Hearos Rock N Roll Earplugs, But they are starting to wear and slip out of my ears. (Which doesn't surprise me because I've had them for about a year and a half) So it's time for some new ones. My GC also carries the Hearos Hi Fidelity (Hi-Fi) earplugs. The Rock N Roll ones are great, but I read they only have Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 22, and the Hi-Fi's have an NRR of 30. But I also want them to be comfortable and not slip out.

Which ones should I get? Has anyone had any experience with either of these, why do you like them over another type. Any advice would help Thank You.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ear plug question

On stage I just wear any foam ear plugs. I have the soft plastic Hearos...not sure of the model but I dont care for them.

For practice I wear shooting ear muffs.

User Info Menu

I've been using the hearos hi-fi earplugs for years now. No issues here.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of the Heros Hi-Fi ear plugs. I take them to any concerts I go to. I don't use them for drumming anymore cause I can't stand anything in my ear's for any length of time. But I would go for the higher noise reduction to protect your ears. The Hi-Fi's.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

+4

hi-fi hearos

User Info Menu

Okay does anyone know whats happening here, I got the Hi-Fi ones (the smaller sized ones for longer term use) but when I put them in they feel like there stabbing into my ears, and when I take them out they tips scrape against the top of my ear canal, Im not really sure what Im doing wrong because I followed the instructions. Does anyone know what the problem could be??
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I don't know anything about Hearos but due to my employment with a MFG firm a few years back I was able to try out tons of different types and styles of ear plugs and I found these to be the best for my needs.

Push-Ins Uncorded 100 Count Box 318-1000
    3M™ E-A-R™ Push-Ins™ Uncorded Earplugs, Hearing Conservation 318-1004 in Poly Bag 1500 PR/Case

User Info Menu

Just as a side note, they are yellow half rounds with a firm tiny blue shaft coming out the backside so you have something to grasp on to.

You can push them in far and they will conform to your ear canal or you can leave them in shallow. They sit fixed without issue...no matter how much head bobbing you do.

User Info Menu

huh? i cant hear ya
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I don't know anything about Hearos but due to my employment with a MFG firm a few years back I was able to try out tons of different types and styles of ear plugs and I found these to be the best for my needs.

Push-Ins Uncorded 100 Count Box 318-1000
    3M™ E-A-R™ Push-Ins™ Uncorded Earplugs, Hearing Conservation 318-1004 in Poly Bag 1500 PR/Case
    Where do you find these plugs?

User Info Menu

Go to Grainger.com for reference. They mainly sell in bulk but if you see one you like maybe call around to stores like Bass Pro Shop's or similar places. They might (probably) have small packs.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Ear plug question

Most drum shops have ear protection of some kind; you also might want to check your nearby gun shop or the guns-and-ammo section of the sporting goods department @ Kmart, Walmart, etc.

Hope it helps!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Nice to see you back Bongo.

I use the Hearos, size small. They work great for me.

User Info Menu

Disposable yellow foam, the same that I use at work, with a 22 Dbl rating work wonders. Put in properly, they are very comfortable. I have used many different types and like these the best for me. Can be found at most hardware stores Use them till they get a bit dirty, them just toss 'em. No bother about cleaning and they are pretty cheap.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

On stage I actually use a set of old broken Shure E3s if I'm using a floor wedge monitor and don't have the ability to use in-ears. I find that most earplugs I've tried either muffle too much, or color the sound too much, but I don't have that problem with the Shure in-ears buds when I'm using them as earplugs. They dampen the noise and protect my ears, but I maintain a level of clarity I don't otherwise get.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.