Thread: Yes - Talk

User Info Menu

Default Yes - Talk

Sorry I cant access my photo site on this computer

When you have been playing drums for many decades, music eventually begins to stale, regurgitate and new exciting sounds become harder to find. Yes with the obvious driving force of Trevor Rabin created such a different unique album which still gets me excited after hundreds of listens. It is a layered composed journey as opposed to riff, verse chorus solo. The songs go from whisper theme to driving rock cresendos. It did take 4 or 5 listens to really begin to appreciate all the studio and writing nuances, but I still feel it is the best Yes album of all time, and probably my favourite album of all time period. It is best listened to very loudly as the dynamics are a core element. Alan White as usual spends considerable time in the studio getting larger than life drum sound, and Rabins guitar work is off the charts. After leaving Yes and making one solo recond (I Cant Look Away) also great work, he drifted into movie soundtracks and studio projects, and sadly is not putting out branded product, at least any that I know of. But Yes is a different band without him, before and after. I hope some young drummers will give this older pick a listen.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yes - Talk

Yeah, I absolutely love this album. Actually, I pretty much like all their work, not only just "Fragile", "Close To The Edge" and the classic 70's period when they had Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman (and others on keyboards), but when they did the "Drama" album, I thought that that was the precursor to "90125" (the album with "Owner Of A Lonely Heart). And that album, "90125", was for me where you could see Trevor Rabin was a big part of Yes's success in the 80's.

And yes, I also like collecting the various solo albums that each former and current member of Yes have released. Just some are:

- "Turbulence", "The Steve Howe Album", "Beginnings" & "The Grand Scheme Of Things" by Steve Howe.
    - "Olias Of Sunhillow" & "In The City Of Angels" by Jon Anderson.
    - "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" & "Criminal Record" by Rick Wakeman.
    - "Fish Out Of Water" by Chris Squire.
    - "One Of A Kind", "Gradually Going Tornado", "Music For Piano & Drums" by Bill Bruford (not to mention the debut U.K. album, the first four Earthworks albums and a few other band projects Bill did as a band leader).
    - "Wolf" & "Can't Look Away" by Trevor Rabin. I found "Wolf" as a $5 CD in a second hand store!
    -The "Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe" album by ABWH. I also have a limited copy of the "Hunting Like The Dinosaurs" recording, which is essentially the first recording of the ABWH album before they signed with Arista, it has one or two extra tracks. There's only 1000 copies of that CD.
    - "The New Dance Orchestra" & "Vox Humana" by Geoff Downes. Plus the "Asia", "Alpha", "Astra" & "Aqua" albums by Asia, and also the "Asia Live In Moscow" VHS video.
    - "Instinct" by Peter Banks.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Never knew about Wolf by Rabin. Lou Molino was on the cant Look Away, he later worked for Kim Mitchell and more recently Yoso (Toto /Yes almalgamation) who was drumming on Wolf?

Drama was great too.

User Info Menu

Love Talk, my favorite for years. also glad to find out about Rabin's Wolf, and Yoso. thanks fellas!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Good thing I was able to get all my albums in alpha order the other week. Okay, to answer your question, Trevor got Simon Phillips to play drums on the "Wolf" album. Some tracks are a bit 'meh' on it, but this one ain't too bad.

"Can't Look Away" is a better album in my opinion. Now this track ya gotta love!

It's funny, because most of the guys who I know here in Australia don't know about some of the drummers I'm a fan of, I'd go "Heard of Lou Molino?" and unless they're huge Yes fans and know of that Yoso collaboration or know of Kim Mitchell, they're like..."Who?" But as soon as I play them "Sludge" they go "Whoa! Who was that doing all that drum stuff?"

And one of the best tracks on Jon Anderson's "City Of Angels?" This one:

Jon Anderson also has done some guest spots with Mike Oldfield. This one I've always liked. And funny enough, Simon Phillips drummed on this album!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-20-2012 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I had some email correspondence with kim Mitchell. I called Matt Frenette (Loverboy) a hack and asked what really went down with Lou and his departure. Kim did not appreciate my opinion on Frenette, but really, he is a hack. He said they all loved Lou, but he was very inconsistent, one night he would be on fire, and the next would be like he had never heard the songs before. Lou had his sights on the LA studio scene, and the split was mutual. I am really shocked that an Aussie has heard of Kim Mitchell. In Canada he is a legend, but he just never broke out of Canada. Had some primo drummers too, Greg Critchley and Paul DeLong, two local giants. Last I heard Greg was teaching at Mohawk College and DeLong at Humber College. These are the two best college music programs. I think they are like the Berklee of Canada, used to be when I was young anyhow. I was accepted to both as a youngster, but ended up going on the rock and Roll road instead.

User Info Menu

My vote(are we voting?) goes to Tales of Topographic Oceans. Amazing! IMO makes Pink Floyd sound almost amateuristic(sp?).
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    ....I am really shocked that an Aussie has heard of Kim Mitchell. In Canada he is a legend, but he just never broke out of Canada. Had some primo drummers too, Greg Critchley and Paul DeLong, two local giants.
    Oh yeah!! Lol, yeah, I know, unusual, but I put it down to not only having a couple of relatives living in Canada, who keep me a little informed on what's going on there, but also due to the fact that I am indeed a hardcore Rush-head living out in the 'burbs of Sydney (and being a fan of prog-rock in general), and I just seem to have a sharp memory for all things in music really. I remember one time talking to my Mum bout how she nearly looked at settling in either Quebec or Newfoundland when she was looking at a choice of places to be posted once she graduated as a nursing sister in England in the 1960's.....Quebec, probably because she was a fluent French speaker at the time....Newfoundland though...(????) no idea. And before she settled on Australia, another choice was going to be Cape Town in South Africa....who knows, if I had been born there I'd be typing in Afrikaans by now!

Anyway, Canada has produced some great bands and artists besides Rush. The Tea Party for starters. Fusion guys UZEB. Arcade Fire, FM, Neil Young, Jeff Healey, Maxx Webster, The Pursuit Of Happiness, and so on and so on. Must be something in the water there, lol.

User Info Menu

....Anyway, let's get back to Yes!

another great track from this album

It's silly sometimes how some groups of Yes fans will say "oh, Steve Howe is better than Trevor Rabin" or the other way around because of reasons a, b & c. Come on, I think every musician that has been in Yes wouldn't have been in Yes if they were a bum musician.

One great song written by Trevor Rabin

...and one great song which has Steve Howe's signature playing all over it

...and don't forget Peter Banks!

User Info Menu

Crazy, you mentioned FM. Marty Deller, what a cool drummer, I saw them a few times in the bars. One night this huge fight breaks out in the Welland House, must have been 20 people brawling, chairs flying, and Cameron of FM breaks into Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys.
    Also Max Webster was Kim Mitchell.
    UZEB also great, I think the last I heard some or all of them were backing up Gino Vanelli, my favourite singer. Colauita on Nightwalker is some great drumming.

Well I am impressed of your Canadian knowledge, if it is any consolation, I tuned into Keith Urban when he released the Ranch album before he became the glam country superstar. Also an iconic album, not a bad song on it.

User Info Menu

What about the story of I by Patrick Moraz, I had that when it first came out on vinyl. Regards Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Alan White as usual spends considerable time in the studio getting larger than life drum sound
    I am a long-time fan of everything YES and this a great piece of work.
    And BTW, Alan White swears by his Ludwig Classic Maples.

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    My vote(are we voting?) goes to Tales of Topographic Oceans. Amazing!
    WOW..............Slingy !
    When I took drum set private lessons during my sophomore year (1977) of music school, I played THE REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD for my juries.
    Whew...............that was a long time ago.................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Incredible band! Great album work. Especially Relayer. Machine Messiah is an amazing song.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike