Thread: Tama Starclassic Hoops

User Info Menu

Default Tama Starclassic Hoops

Greetings,

I have a set of Tama Starclassic drums and am having a heck of a time finding any microphone clips that actually work with them. Has anyone here found clips that work well?

Thanks in advance,
    -Ron
    My Site

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Starclassic Hoops

LP makes some very versatile clamping devices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bish View Post
    lp makes some very versatile clamping devices.
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    LP makes some very versatile clamping devices.
    +2 on this.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

LP's mic claw will work with most any rim, but is somewhat limited in where you can position the microphone at. It's better than having nothing that will work, though. Preferrably i'd like to have the mics actually not make contact with the drums at all, that way the microphone doesn't vibrate when the drum does.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys,

I'll give the LP mounts a look. I guess the alternative is have a bunch of mic stands, but that seems to always take up too much room.
    -Ron
    My Site

User Info Menu

I also have a Starclassic Performer and have had a few mic clamps on them. The LP's work nice.

I agree with what Russ is saying about using stands to reduce or eliminate the vibrations and it does work well when micing a limited number of drums. When you get into 5 or 6 toms and cymbals too many mic stands just makes things difficult and messy; too many stands can be challenging to place and it clutters up the set. Smaller drum mics on a clamp are much more clean and versatile. Just my opinion.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    LP's mic claw will work with most any rim, but is somewhat limited in where you can position the microphone at. It's better than having nothing that will work, though. Preferrably i'd like to have the mics actually not make contact with the drums at all, that way the microphone doesn't vibrate when the drum does.
    I have no issues with mic placement regardless of the mount I'm using. I can use Sennheiser rubber clamp mic clamps or LP (for generic microphones) that mount nicely on the Starclassic mount (Hence NOT being effected by the shell) and in no situations are there any drawbacks other than draping XLR cables going everywhere.

For that reason I use a limited amount of stands and consolidate the micing routine. If I use two up and two down for toms I'll only use one mic for each SET of drums. Fewer mics means less bleed from neighbor mics and really speeds up the sound check process.

Besides, it's not like we are in colliseum venues that require 4 hours of sound checks.

Really if you want the best for the least, put a mic in your bass drum and one overhead and you'll have a fantastic micable sound the sound guy will love.

User Info Menu

Yeah I have heard the LP ones work well because I believe they are a one-size-fits-all type of thing. Also I have a starclassic and I am using the typical plastic microphone mounts that came with my Shure mics.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I know this is an older topic but I use Sennheiser E604 mics on my toms with no issues using the clips at all.

John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu