Thread: Kickstart my Heart - Motley Crue

User Info Menu

Default Kickstart my Heart - Motley Crue

Anyone played this before - it's in a list of songs I'm learning and I just want to make sure I am hearing it right - he's playing it all on the snare during the verses isn't he? Basically light a single stroke roll accenting on the count sort of thing?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thats what Tommy is doing in the verse...those little ghost notes and the accents are important to get the right sound feel. The hi-hat is going in 8th as well although you can mix it up with quarter notes

User Info Menu

So your saying he's playing the basic 4/4 style rhythm (either RLRLRL or how ever I wanna do it) on the snare while keeping 8th notes going on the hats with his left foot and quarters on the kick for the 1 count?

Would I have to do 8ths on the hat though? Can you even hear them? Fair enough during the segways but once the rhythm is established would they be necassary? Problem is I have trouble co-ordinating my left and right feet like that (i'm not one of those people who can constantly move their left foot to keep time, although I know ALOT of drummers do). I know I'de stuff it up, but if I'm just using my hands and right foot I got no problems.

User Info Menu

What you want to do on the snare would work fine. If you are right handed which im pretty sure you are, you can play crossed with the hi-hat going on 8th while the left is playing on the snare and accenting the one and 4 with a variation at times, cant remember exactly where it is but it is there i think just before the chorus. But like I said, the pattern on the snare that you want to play would work fine.

User Info Menu

Actually I'm left handed (on a right handed kit) - that's why I have problems with my feet. When I introduce my left foot it tries to lead the count and my right foot gets confused - I've been playing for a while now (like several years) and it's just one of those things I can't seem to fix.

Either way though, it seems that the main thing is the rythm on the snare, I don't think the 8ths on the hi-hat would be an issue, so cool. I was just wanting to make sure I was hearing it right.

User Info Menu

Yer perfect on the snare thats how Tommy plays it anyways but also has the hi hat goin on the quarters with his foot but that doesnt really matter at all...