Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

Traded my 4pc saturn with a 20" BD for a a 3pc Keystone with a 24" BD.

Appearance
    The wrap was a very hearty and thick Galaxy Bronze color whcih was very impressive, especially when the light hit it at the right angle. I finally figured out the problem with the BD Hoop, due to the wrapping thickness and how they applied it the hoop had a certain spot it had to be in to properly fit all lugs on and still a few of them were very very tight. Basically they used 2 14" pieces of wrap for the hoop and the 2 places it overlapped made it unnecessarily difficult.

All bearing edges were smooth and the double 45 was very nice and IMO added to the boomy attack of the oak/maple combo. Hardware and lugs were very very solid.

Soundit
    The 13 x 9 Rack tom was outstanding and IMO is what a 13" RT should sound like no matter how I tuned it.

the 16" floor tom was also very nice sounding but as with most 16ft's the tuning range was small but when you found it man she boomed. I would say the sound was more boomy and had more initial attack than my Beech 16" ft.

The 24 x 14 BD surprisingly was the least impressive part of the kit IMO. To be fair it may have been the aquarian SK1 that was on it. This was my 1st 24" BD and I just expected so much more. This thing was lifeless and barely audible compared to the rest of the kit. I took the SK1 off and cut away half of the ridiculously thick muffling ring that is glued to the inside of the head and while it helped a little it was still lifeless.

I probably should have changed the head but I had it up for sale on CL and was getting decent offers so did not want t invest in a new 24" head plus I was not sure what to get. It had the stock front head with a 4" hole on the reso.

All in all a very nice kit and well worth the money used and also brand new for a USA made kit. I would just try to get a BD hoop like the OP's and maybe look into a 22" instead of a 24" but then again that may be due to a crappy head I never changed out. I ended up selling it for $750.

This was also my 1st ever attempt at a 1 up 1 down config. I added an old luddy 14ft as well so I could try a 1 up 2 down and I think I am hooked. I have since set my 2 up 1 dwn sonor up as a 1 up 2 dwn and am loving it. Just wish I had that 13" keystone rack tom : )

[IMG][/IMG]

you can see the sk1 with some foam removed
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MDK; 05-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

"All in all a very nice kit and well worth the money used and also brand new for a USA made kit. I would just try to get a BD hoop like the OP's and maybe look into a 22" instead of a 24" but then again that may be due to a crappy head I never changed out. I ended up selling it for $750."

So you did sell the kit? Because of the kick?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    "All in all a very nice kit and well worth the money used and also brand new for a USA made kit. I would just try to get a BD hoop like the OP's and maybe look into a 22" instead of a 24" but then again that may be due to a crappy head I never changed out. I ended up selling it for $750."

So you did sell the kit? Because of the kick?
    No not really, I have always wanted a kit with re-rings and until I scratch that itch I doubt any kit will make me completely happy.

I was hoping I would have a better chance on selling the Keystone than the Saturns and I was correct. The Keystone is really a great kit and I will not be surprised if I end up with a new one with a 22" kick in the future, of course with a 13" rack tom mmmmmmmm that thing really was sweet.

Meanwhile the search for a kit with re-rings is still on. About a $2000 budget so most likely will be used. Just have to decide on sizes, there are a lot of good deals on used DW's on ebay right now but I am still shopping locally as well. My Beech Sonor's are holding me over nicely in the mean time.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'll bet the SK1 was part of the problem with the kick. "Lifeless" is exactly the term I would have used when I tried the SK1 on my drum. It just didn't have the definition that I like. I'll bet with the proper batter head and a resonant without a hole in it, that drum would have been what you wanted it to be. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Keystone kit, but I love the way they look.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I've never had the pleasure of playing a Keystone kit, but I love the way they look.

GeeDeeEmm
    Yes, they are something else aren't they?

User Info Menu

Took them to the studio for the first time. Didn't disappoint.

User Info Menu

Well, I've had this kit for 5 years now and it's still my go to gigging and studio kit. Just keep changing the heads and rockin' on:

Last edited by inthpktplayer; 10-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Is the keystone series a step above the classic maple?
    What is the difference between the two?

User Info Menu

Keystone is pretty much in the same catagory as the Classic Maples.
    The main difference is the wood. Keystones are a hybrid blend of Oak & Maple plies. The Oak tends to give drums a more defined and punchy low end and volume. It's great for live gig situations.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Still the go to gig kit
    Luddy1.jpg

User Info Menu

I've had these for going on 8 years now. I keep buying other kits...then selling them cuz nothing compares to this. Still get compliments on their looks and sound everywhere I play. Every sound guy we use raves about how they can make them go boom :-)
    A7EC0E3C-ABEE-442B-8A88-EB4414535A67.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I've had these for going on 8 years now. I keep buying other kits...then selling them cuz nothing compares to this. Still get compliments on their looks and sound everywhere I play. Every sound guy we use raves about how they can make them go boom :-)
    A7EC0E3C-ABEE-442B-8A88-EB4414535A67.jpg
    Nice, still looks fantastic.. is that an EC2 on the reso of the rack tom?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, still looks fantastic.. is that an EC2 on the reso of the rack tom?
    EC Resonant

User Info Menu

What bearing edges do the keystone series have.dont tell me this thread is 3 years old.