Thread: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

Traded my 4pc saturn with a 20" BD for a a 3pc Keystone with a 24" BD.

Appearance
    The wrap was a very hearty and thick Galaxy Bronze color whcih was very impressive, especially when the light hit it at the right angle. I finally figured out the problem with the BD Hoop, due to the wrapping thickness and how they applied it the hoop had a certain spot it had to be in to properly fit all lugs on and still a few of them were very very tight. Basically they used 2 14" pieces of wrap for the hoop and the 2 places it overlapped made it unnecessarily difficult.

All bearing edges were smooth and the double 45 was very nice and IMO added to the boomy attack of the oak/maple combo. Hardware and lugs were very very solid.

Soundit
    The 13 x 9 Rack tom was outstanding and IMO is what a 13" RT should sound like no matter how I tuned it.

the 16" floor tom was also very nice sounding but as with most 16ft's the tuning range was small but when you found it man she boomed. I would say the sound was more boomy and had more initial attack than my Beech 16" ft.

The 24 x 14 BD surprisingly was the least impressive part of the kit IMO. To be fair it may have been the aquarian SK1 that was on it. This was my 1st 24" BD and I just expected so much more. This thing was lifeless and barely audible compared to the rest of the kit. I took the SK1 off and cut away half of the ridiculously thick muffling ring that is glued to the inside of the head and while it helped a little it was still lifeless.

I probably should have changed the head but I had it up for sale on CL and was getting decent offers so did not want t invest in a new 24" head plus I was not sure what to get. It had the stock front head with a 4" hole on the reso.

All in all a very nice kit and well worth the money used and also brand new for a USA made kit. I would just try to get a BD hoop like the OP's and maybe look into a 22" instead of a 24" but then again that may be due to a crappy head I never changed out. I ended up selling it for $750.

This was also my 1st ever attempt at a 1 up 1 down config. I added an old luddy 14ft as well so I could try a 1 up 2 down and I think I am hooked. I have since set my 2 up 1 dwn sonor up as a 1 up 2 dwn and am loving it. Just wish I had that 13" keystone rack tom : )

[IMG][/IMG]

you can see the sk1 with some foam removed
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MDK; 05-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO