Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 319 View Post
    windex will do the trick .
    This is what I've always used. I'm not too particular about my cymbals, but a little bit of windex on a rag every couple of months keeps the finger prints down.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

something gentle like windex will be fine.
    Even a soft damp rag will get them clean, maybe not factory shiny but clean.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

This thread could end up being a long and informative breakdown of many "personal" choices of cleaning, not cleaning, made for cymbal cleaning products listed on most or all of the online music retailers, or household products *( Brasso for instance ) , Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner -( be aware, this product has fumes that you just do Not Want To Breathe in - so use this product outside) , I know of one condiment eaten with french fries that will help clean your cymbals that is also known as "Ketchup".

I clean mine and shine them up occassionally ...the dirt and dust/foriegn substances build up in the tiny grooves of the cymbal and effectively "muffle and deaden" the response of the cymbal. Some drummers like this effect...some dont.

I will be checking this thread to see how many different "cymbal cleaning" products and methods get posted off this, and I hope we have some "cymbal shining" procedures posted as well.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I never use any chemicals on my drums or cymbals. Me it has always been Borax, vinegar and baking soda. I use this stuff on everything in the house and his better for your health than all them household cleaners which are all toxic and dangerous. nough said

User Info Menu

I use BAR KEEPERS FRIEND.

You have to be gentle....as it is a little abrasive, but it's quick and works well.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I believe each cymbal maker makes their own brand of cleaner approved to work on their cymbals.
    With out naming names or manufacturers..(Z, S or P) ..I had a "spot" issue with a set of Brilliant cymbals. Not sure what it was....figured it was sweat or something, but I couldn't get the spot off.

I contacted the manufacture - spoke with the Rep. He told me their cleaner was junk....and to use FLITZ meal polish.

It worked well...very well, but is messy and time consuming.
    Last edited by EddieV; 07-13-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Lemon juice is mildly acidic (citric acid), so it would have something in common with Groove Juice, but would be less harsh. If you're looking for something that is a common household item to use as a cleaner, I would say that lemon juice is available, affordable, and should spare the logos if you are careful.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use this stuff.

results:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crogen View Post
    Hi,

I have some high hat cymbals that got some really bad dirt and stains on them.
    If I can avoid buying cymbal cleaners I will but I wanna use house hold products. Anyone with some awesome ideas?
    I realize this may be a repeat of an old thread so to spice it up it a bit what could I use to clean the metal parts on my drums?

Thanks!
    You can get some quality cymbal cleaner for under $20.00. I'd recommend that instead of what's under the sink.
    I use this, no hard rubbing or buffing. Just take one clothe , wipe down the cymbal , rinse with cold water and wipe dry with a towel.

Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-15-2012 at 08:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I use BAR KEEPERS FRIEND.

You have to be gentle....as it is a little abrasive, but it's quick and works well.
    Yeah, it does work well, I have used it before on a really dirty cymbal I picked up, but I wouldn't use it on a brilliant finished cymbal. No matter how gentle you are, it still leaves rub marks, even if you scrub along with the grooves.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I use this stuff.

results:

Has it taken all the logos off?
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

From the picture it looks like all the logos are gone and maybe it was done by another cleaner that late8 used before this stuff. Pretty hard to polish cymbals without taking logo off no matter what it is you use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    From the picture it looks like all the logos are gone and maybe it was done by another cleaner that late8 used before this stuff. Pretty hard to polish cymbals without taking logo off no matter what it is you use.
    I prefer logo-less anyway!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've heard that Coca-Cola makes a great cleaner. Doesn't get any cheaper than that!

all the best...
    Scary part is that I've heard that you can remove crud from the posts of your car battery with Coca-Cola...man, if it can do all that, what does it do to your stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Brasso + cymbals = NOT GOOD!!!
    Brasso is basically ammonia and naphtha (lighter fluid)...nasty stuff to work with and it messes up your brass in short order!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I prefer logo-less anyway!

all the best...
    I am the opisite I like the logo on. How many times people have to ask what make of cymbals is that if there is no logo. I make sure my Zildjian logos and nice and dark so people can see them. When they do fade away a little I will get the magic marker out and revive them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Scary part is that I've heard that you can remove crud from the posts of your car battery with Coca-Cola...man, if it can do all that, what does it do to your stomach?

Brasso is basically ammonia and naphtha (lighter fluid)...nasty stuff to work with and it messes up your brass in short order!
    Ive been using Brasso for years and Ive never had a problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I hate cymbal logos Gilles. I wiped them clean on purpose because my vintage cymbals no longer have logos and my new ones did.

Brasso doesn't harm cymbals. I switched from Brasso because the NevrDull uses no liquid formula and much easier to clean up after use.
    Last edited by late8; 07-16-2012 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=late8;485928]I use this stuff.

me too.....great stuff

User Info Menu

I cleaned my cymbals with BRASSO for years....(there really wasn't anything else back then) and had terrific results.

It WAS messy and time consuming....but it never "hurt" my cymbals.

User Info Menu

Not to be disrespectful here but Brasso has been used on military bases for ages and trust me in this: Brasso does Not Harm Brass ... it does require a lot of time and rubbing and you do have to clean off the residue *( it turns "Black" )* but properly applied and cleaned, your brass cymbals, brass belt buckles, brass insignia, brass door handles etc will all come out lookin shiny and brand new.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

It's also great for cleaning coins in your coin collection. Just remember to drink Coke before you start cleaning with it, not after, lol!

I've used Brasso and Silvo for cleaning cymbal stands and other chromed hardware before. But not for cymbals, I'd rather use Paiste cymbal cleaner for my Paiste cymbals.

And that's my two Greek drachmas....ok, ok....I meant cents!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

Wow, did I get a kick in the ... nah, I'm not gonna say it! If you're comfortable with Brasso and it works for you, more power to you. I would think twice about using it on a cherished antique, but, that's my tres pesos on that!

Drumbledore, leave it to you, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I used AeroTech 2000 on a cymbal yesterday and it cleaned it up real nice (not harsh)

I have a 1970's ride I would never clean, however.

User Info Menu

Bump for relevance to another thread.

User Info Menu

Actually, it doesnt "mess up your brass" - but, you have to use soap and warm water to completely remove the "black" that it leaves behind...The US Army used Brasso exclusively when I was in the service and we polished everything we had that was brass with it and there was never any "damaged" belt buckles or brass, we even Brasso'd the Officers jeep parts that were "brass" - man, did they ever shine~ . And Coca-Cola really will remove battery acid crud off your battery cables.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 03-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.