Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which drum heads are best?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which drum heads are best?

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    it's gonna take some time before you settle on "your" heads. Or if you're like me you'll never actually settle on one combo. Trial and error is what it is. If you're playing metal probably start with 2 ply batters and see what happens. The sound clips like on the Evans site should help to narrow it down.
    Ditto this. Though I am mostly a Remo guy I've tried all kinds of heads over the years, Remo, Aquarian and Evans alike. They all fall short in some things and excell in others. For hard hitting style playing, go with anything 2-ply or more (Aquarian apparently now makes a 3-ply head called triple threat) These will at least insure that you don't total them in no time flat. For me, the trickiest part of head shopping is all the fancy names. I'd prefer a direct approach in naming heads, for instance clear-heavy, medium, light, or coated-heavy medium, light.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've narrowed my choices down to one from each of the top three companies, I think my next round of heads will be one of each. Which brings me to another thing; drum companies out to have heads from each company on their kits so drummers can narrow down what their first batch of heads will be faster. Especially beginner level kits.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I know it's been a while since somebody posted on this thread, but just curious, which kind of heads are better Evans genera g2 coated, or just pearl heads with Aquarian rings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    I know it's been a while since somebody posted on this thread, but just curious, which kind of heads are better Evans genera g2 coated, or just pearl heads with Aquarian rings?
    Do you mean the stock heads that came with your drum kit ? The ones that have the Pearl logo ? If so then I would have to say the Evans are far better . There are other brands but you can't go wrong with a set of Evans heads .

Like it's been said before you're going to have to go through dozens of heads from different companies to find the ones YOU like best .

Good Luck and all the best !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    there is no best heads , there is only the best ones for you . its all trail and error dude.
    This guy is wrong. Aquarians are superior. Try super 2's. Great for rock.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads