Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which drum heads are best?

User Info Menu

Default Which drum heads are best?

Hi,

Wondering what everyone's opinions are about getting some new heads. I play rock and metal a lot. Don't really know what kinda heads I need. Wondering which ones I could buy for a reasonable price and are still good quality.

I see a lot of Remo and Evans flying around on Guitar Center and other places. But which one or even a pack of heads would suit me well?

Thanks!
    Well....what's the fun in that?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which drum heads are best?

Aquarian Super 2's, Force Tens or Response 2's. You probably want clear since you are playing rock/metal. They are on average a little more expensive compared to remo/evans but they are better and last longer.

From another thread in this forum.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=39
    Last edited by SpatzST; 04-12-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

When I was playing a lot of Metal I used Aquarian Performance ll Clear , and then switched to Evans EC 2 Clears. Both are great. I've also used Remo clear pinstripes in the past. Any of these should do the trick.

User Info Menu

Which ever ones sound the best to you. This is one of those things that everyone has thier favorite. To me you can't go wrong with either Evens, Remo or Aquarians. It's one of those drumming things also where it's just going to take trying different heads.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

there is no best heads , there is only the best ones for you . its all trail and error dude.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Depends on the sound you're trying to get. Can't go wrong with Response 2's on toms, but if you need a little more attack go with Performance 2's.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You've just got to pick something and decide if you like it or not.

For example, you see a lot of responses on EC2 heads. I play metal too and I don't care for them. I like coated G2 batters. That's me. You've got to try some different heads and figure out what your ideal sound is.

User Info Menu

I just re-skinned my Sonor's with Aquarian Response 2s... these things feel like they are very durable.... what are they, made of Kevlar?

They sound big and deep... haven't yet decided if I like them better than Remo Emps, but I don't like them any less than the Emps either. But I will say they will last longer.

I am not an Evans guy... and I finally figured out why. I have tried them several times. To me Evans heads sound very good, very clean, very polished, and very generic (again IMO)... my drums seem to loose their signature/characteristic sound with Evans heads.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I see you are in the beginning stages of your musical quest. Like some of the other above responses said, it's what YOU like. You can pattern your sound after this drummer or that drummer, but it will be YOUR sound. Try a few of the standards(Remo clear Pinstripe, Evans EC2 etc) then see what characteristics you like/dislike. This will go into developing your sound over the years! I am about to go back to Evans G2's after having the EC2's for about a year or so.
    PDP FS Kit
    DW Performance Series Snare 6.5x14
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature Series
    OCDP 6x14
    Iron Cobra Pedal
    Zildjian Cymbals:
    14" A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats
    8" A Custom Splash
    10" A Custom Splash
    16" K Zildjian Crash
    17" K Custom Hybrid Crash
    18" A Custom EFX Crash
    20" A Zildjian Medium Ride
    Vater Fusion Sticks
    Evans G14's(Toms) Evans Emad(Bass Drum) Evans G2 Coated(Snare)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2g3 View Post
    I see you are in the beginning stages of your musical quest. Like some of the other above responses said, it's what YOU like. You can pattern your sound after this drummer or that drummer, but it will be YOUR sound. Try a few of the standards(Remo clear Pinstripe, Evans EC2 etc) then see what characteristics you like/dislike. This will go into developing your sound over the years! I am about to go back to Evans G2's after having the EC2's for about a year or so.
    +1.....it's your sound.....me, personally started out on coated Remo ambassadors, but have been an Evans guy for quite a few years now......good luck

User Info Menu

Drumming is about your sound. Your going to screw on alot of new heads for worn out ones. When that happens, try a different maker. You can always go back to what you used before. Thats drumming.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=longgun;472663]+1.....it's your sound.....me, personally started out on coated Remo ambassadors, but have been an Evans guy for quite a few years now......good luck [/QUOTE

Ditto Longgun! Great minds
    PDP FS Kit
    DW Performance Series Snare 6.5x14
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature Series
    OCDP 6x14
    Iron Cobra Pedal
    Zildjian Cymbals:
    14" A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats
    8" A Custom Splash
    10" A Custom Splash
    16" K Zildjian Crash
    17" K Custom Hybrid Crash
    18" A Custom EFX Crash
    20" A Zildjian Medium Ride
    Vater Fusion Sticks
    Evans G14's(Toms) Evans Emad(Bass Drum) Evans G2 Coated(Snare)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

User Info Menu

The reason I asked was because I didn't want to end up buying like a completely different genre of music styled heads. I only play hard and don't wanna buy heads that a jazz artist would buy. I don't know if that made sense...

But it seems that the remo and evens everyone likes for the most part.

User Info Menu

try clear remo pinstripes , i think those will give you the sound that your looking for .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    try clear remo pinstripes , i think those will give you the sound that your looking for .
    Yup. That's pretty much the go-to rock/metal head I think. Good luck!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Evans all the way for me. Had Remos at first but then when I tried Evans they were the heads for me G2's/G1's and EC2's/G1's or EC resos. Remos are the most used heads on new kits but then you go from there to whatever sound good and last the longest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crogen View Post
    The reason I asked was because I didn't want to end up buying like a completely different genre of music styled heads. I only play hard and don't wanna buy heads that a jazz artist would buy. I don't know if that made sense...

But it seems that the remo and evens everyone likes for the most part.
    Heavy hitter? Sounds like you'd be looking for Evans hydraulic or Aquarian Performance II. I've noticed Aquarian gaining quite a following from heavy hitters because of how armored and tough their heads are reported to be. I haven't played them all yet, but my experiences with them definitely support that claim! Heck, they just recently came out with a TRIPLE PLY COATED HEAD. Talk about a Juggernaut head!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I agree with Russ on the Aquarian heads. I have an Aquarian Z100 texture coated head and they are very durable and great for hard or soft hitters. I have this head on my Vintage Slingerland snare and sounds fantastic loud with lots of snap and pops.LOL
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I used to use Remo Coated Emperors on top of Ebony Ambassadors. I hit hard, and they lasted really well. They really made my toms sing.

Can't go wrong with that combo.

I now use Evans G2's, soon to be over G1's, and I hope they sound even better!

User Info Menu

I'm very picky with sound even in my young drumming journey which is about a bit over a year, but 5 months in I was trying many heads that were recommended. I tried the typical heads, Remo emperors, pinstripes, Ambassadors, Evans G2, EC2 SST, Onyx, Aquarian Super 2 and Performance II to name a few.

Though it costs some money I happily settled for the Aquarian Super 2's and from time to time will put on the Performance II's when I want that deep thuddy sound.

My point is...you have to spend some money to find your sound...that's what it's all about. I'm sure my taste will change again, in fact I'm looking at getting some Aquarian clear Response 2's soon. The great thing is I can go back to any of these other heads I have should my mood change
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jemini View Post
    I'm very picky with sound even in my young drumming journey which is about a bit over a year, but 5 months in I was trying many heads that were recommended. I tried the typical heads, Remo emperors, pinstripes, Ambassadors, Evans G2, EC2 SST, Onyx, Aquarian Super 2 and Performance II to name a few.

Though it costs some money I happily settled for the Aquarian Super 2's and from time to time will put on the Performance II's when I want that deep thuddy sound.

My point is...you have to spend some money to find your sound...that's what it's all about. I'm sure my taste will change again, in fact I'm looking at getting some Aquarian clear Response 2's soon. The great thing is I can go back to any of these other heads I have should my mood change
    That makes sense.

User Info Menu

This is perhaps unrelated, but Aquarian offers soundclips of all their heads on their site now. Except for a few, but most of em are up there. They sound EQ'd, but it's the same setting for all of the clips.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    This is perhaps unrelated, but Aquarian offers soundclips of all their heads on their site now. Except for a few, but most of em are up there. They sound EQ'd, but it's the same setting for all of the clips.
    As does Evans.

User Info Menu

The big 4 in drum head making are Remo, Evans, Aquarian, and Attack and each company makes a wide variety of heads. You can narrow your search down by understanding what each type of head does.

Thicker heads like Pinstripes, EC2's, etc will give you a lower pitch with less sustain, and thus a stronger fundamental tone. If you're playing a lot of notes, it's a good idea to use these types of heads, because the less sustain/dryer sound will give you more clarity in your sound. If you're playing hard, they're also more durable. If you want a more open sound, then a thinner 2 ply or even single ply head will do the job.

Also keep in mind that one type of head on all your drums is not always a good thing. A pinstripe might give your floor tom a nice fat thud, but on an 8" tom, it might kill it completely. I generally use single ply heads on anything 12" or smaller and double ply on anything 13" or larger. To my ears it tends to balance better that way. YMMV

Each brand of heads also has certain defining characteristics. Evans, for example makes a very rigid head and uses a different coating material. To my ears, this adds a "click" to the initial attack, which I don't care for, but if you're looking for a lot of definition, then they're perfect. Aquarians always sound slightly deader to me than a comparable Remo or Evans, so forth and so on.

As has been said by others, experimentation is your friend. Happy tuning.
    Last edited by MattDrums; 04-14-2012 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

it's gonna take some time before you settle on "your" heads. Or if you're like me you'll never actually settle on one combo. Trial and error is what it is. If you're playing metal probably start with 2 ply batters and see what happens. The sound clips like on the Evans site should help to narrow it down.