Thread: cymbal stands

User Info Menu

Default cymbal stands

Ill need to get new cymbal stands for my new cymbals.. that have been delayed another week! so i was thinking does a cymbal stand really need to be fancy? and I was especially thinking about the hi-hat stand, should i buy a cheap or expensive one? what are the pros and cons?

User Info Menu

You NEED a good quality hi-hat. It's not just the cymbal stand, it's the pedal too. If it's unresponsive and breaks easily, there's no point investing in it.
    As for cymbal stands themselves, I think the ride cymbal needs a normal stand. For setting up your crash cymbal in the regular way, you might need a boom.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

lafirin, you need to post some pictures of your set, and tell us what kind it is and how much you bought it for, im going thru all the same stuff you are with my kit with the new cymbals and the stands and such

User Info Menu

well look at it this way..if u have really nice cymbals..u should probly get really nice stands..if u have average cymbals..average stands etc..I use dw 700 and 900 series cybmal stands..very heavy duty, and versatile.

User Info Menu

I would say invest in a decent hi-hat stand the mechanical mechanisms will give you problems if you cheap. I bought a used Ludwig Hi hat stand that is great, and it cost me only $40.00. I also bought a used mapek (sp?) stand that is as solid as a rock for $25.00. My point go to your local drum retailer see what he has used, and pick out some good sturdy double braced stands, and save yourself about 1/2 the cost of buying new. It's all chrome it all looks the same. Just make sure it's in good condition and has all it's parts.

User Info Menu

PD Drummer recommended one to me, it was cheap and is very sturdy. I can't remember what it was, I think it was a DW 800, but it was about $35. Please get a good quality hi-hat stand though, I am struggling with mine right now...

User Info Menu

yeah thats the reason why i want to get a good one. i called my 2 local music stores and they said they could order in some, but does anyone here know the average price for a good quaility hi-hat stand>?

Shazane Guest

I wouldnt waste alot of money, but dont be stingy either, I got some great quality double brace boom stands for $35 each, as good as the ones that cost 90 from what I can tell, unless you need them to withstand sledgehammer blows I dont see the need of getting the most expensive one.

The hihat is another matter, make sure you have an excellent stand, right now I cant use the pedal function of the hihat very much because my old stand cant support the 14" hats I replaced my 12" with, and everything's constantly becoming unscrewed on it, it really sucks.

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I got a "Pacific Drums by DW HH900 hi-hat stand" for $59.99. I did a bit of research before I bought it, and I thought it was a great stand, especially for the money. It has an adjustable tension for the pedal, substantial tubing, and the screw for the cymbal adjustment doesn't fall out, like it did with my starter hi-hat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i use pearl 1000 and 2000 series stands. fairly expensive, but worth it. i need heavy duty, durable hardware. the new pearl 900 series that comes with the new vision kits is pretty cheep and still very heavy duty. as far as hi hats go i love my dw5000. the way it floats is smoother than anything i have played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Lafirin, I got a "Pacific Drums by DW HH900 hi-hat stand" for $59.99. I did a bit of research before I bought it, and I thought it was a great stand, especially for the money. It has an adjustable tension for the pedal, substantial tubing, and the screw for the cymbal adjustment doesn't fall out, like it did with my starter hi-hat!
    60 bucks huh? thats the price i was looking for! what about the stand it self, is it really thick? because all the "heavy duty" stands iv heard about always seem to be thick and bluky, im not saying i dont want that, but im just wondering.

User Info Menu

Yes, it's a heavy duty stand, but I personally don't think it's too heavy looking. You can see it in the pics of my kit. Here's the link:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=2077&page=4

The boom stands are Mapex medium duty stands, and the straight stand is a light duty, starter stand that I didn't feel I needed to replace yet. You can see the hi-hat stand in relation to the others in the pics and I think you will get a feel for whether that's the size you want.

If you do want a smaller size I believe the PDP 800 series is the next one down, but it does not have the adjustable pedal. One other thing that I forgot to mention was that the legs on the 900 rotate so it amkes it easier to fit it around other stands.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Not sure how expensive they are but the Tama Roadpro series are excellent - hats, boom and straight cymbal are all excellent quality. Just my 2 cents.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Not sure how expensive they are but the Tama Roadpro series are excellent - hats, boom and straight cymbal are all excellent quality. Just my 2 cents.

Stix
    fairly expensive, but again worth it. tama makes great hardware.

User Info Menu

I like my hi-hats to feel REALLY light, so i got the Pearl H-1000K stand. It has a pulley system which makes the action on it incredibly light, the way i like it.

And also, a thing about newer cymbal stands i like is on the newer Pearl line of 1000 and 2000 series stands, called a WingLoc. It just clips on and off, instead of having to twist on the wingnuts.

It makes putting and tearing down the kit faster and easier!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, that might make a difference to me some day. Right now, my kit is in the corner of my bedroom, and it will be there for the foreseeable future!

User Info Menu

I decided to buy a Yamaha, it works so well!

User Info Menu

I saw that in your drum set post. Looked like a good choice. So many decisions can be made without really going wrong! There's some good quality stuff out there.

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever tried or used the Delta II 2-leg hi-hat from DW? I am looking at the lighter version of it, but according to the reviews om musiciansfriend, it is very stable. The two legs rotate to allow my double bass pedal I am getting to fit in there good. I was curious what you guys thought.

User Info Menu

never heard

User Info Menu

If its double braced and chrome it should be alright..... Coming from a established company though like pearl... Tama etc.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

A mate of mine upgraded to a DW-9000 series D-Pedal and a Delta II, 2 leg HH stand aswell, once it is up, the thing aint getting knocked over, as with all DW stuff, it is more than adequate for the job at hand.

There is no difference between it and a similar 3 legged stand. And i am a big user of the HH pedal and HH patterns, and it withstood the test.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!