Thread: New Taye brass snare

User Info Menu

Default New Taye brass snare

My b-day is this Sat and my present form my wife was a new metal snare. My drum instructor and i went down to the store and checked them out! When all was said and done i brought this home! It came down to this and the tama slp black brass. I liked them both very much but this was my favorite!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Taye brass snare

Congrats.....looks great

User Info Menu

it a beauty congrad

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quite nice! I like how the lines in the lug form a "Y" in every vertical pair.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks I really like it. Getting new gear is fun i must say!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new snare!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Taye makes some very good gear and I find it's no more expensive than comparable pieces with other brands.

Congrats!!

User Info Menu

This is the third stellar Taye snare to make a DC appearance in recent days. Nice!

User Info Menu

I had every intention of getting a tama slp when I went in the store. After we played a few this one really stuck out at us both. Can't beat the price either!

User Info Menu

Congrats and Happy Birthday! Nice looking snare. Enjoy!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Taye! I just picked up two myself. I'm finding their stuff to be priced reasonably and designed very well.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by MrB; 05-28-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Taye makes some very good gear and I find it's no more expensive than comparable pieces with other brands.

Congrats!!
    Probably because they are relatively new in the market and as yet, don't have a stacked up roster of heavy weight endorsees. Give em time! LOL

They appear to recieve great reviews on their stuff. Great quality. Reasonable price. Younger drummers entering the market should check them out before they get too costly.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Congrats on the Taye! I just picked up two myself. I'm finidng their stuff to be priced reasonably and designed very well.

Enjoy!
    Congrats on your new snare also! I liked your review very detailed!

User Info Menu

Bump

Did you look into the Taye Brushed Nickel on Brass (Metalworks) at all? I've started kicking the tires on Ludwig Black Beauties and Noble Cooley Alloy Classics and for less than half of either, the 14"x5" Taye looks very attractive.
    Last edited by MrB; 05-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    congrats on the taye! I just picked up two myself. I'm finidng their stuff to be priced reasonably and designed very well.
    2?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    2?
    Two Taye Snares, but different types.

-Taye Stainless Steel 12"x6", which you may read my opinions of here: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...-12-25052.html .

-Taye Studiomaple Wood Hoop 14"x5", which isn't really all that different from two of my other snares and is being a pest to find a sweet spot. As I have two maple snares already, I'm letting this one go and am considering a brass snare to make a more well-rounded assortment. Currently the other three are:

1. 2001 Ayotte 12"x7" Steelhoop snare, 8 ply sugarmaple with reinforcement rings

2. 2008 Ayotte 13"x8" Woodhoop snare, 8 ply sugarmaple with reinforcement rings

3. Ludwig Acrolite 14"x5" (Black Galaxy Finish)

Having a steel, aluminum, brass, and two maple snares I am realizing would be much more versatile.
    Last edited by MrB; 05-28-2012 at 11:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Taye seems like a decent builder, I believe he imports his metal shells from over seas, and I think it is a Keller shell assembling company, but the importing does keep the costs in line. Maybe same supplier as the Bronze Ludwig line like the one I have with the white and black logo badge.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Taye seems like a decent builder, I believe he imports his metal shells from over seas, and I think it is a Keller shell assembling company, but the importing does keep the costs in line. Maybe same supplier as the Bronze Ludwig line like the one I have with the white and black logo badge.
    FYI - Taye has been in business for more than 35 years. They started out as an OEM builder in Taiwan, making shells and hardware for other drum companies, which they still do to this day. There's an old joke in the drum business, "Made in Taye-wan". In fact, you might be surprised how many products from big name builders get their raw materials from makers like Taye, Peace, Gibraltar, etc.

After Ray Ayotte was forced out of Ayotte, Taye hired him on to design their own brand of drums, hence the similarities between the two, i.e. side latch throw, wood hoops, sugar maple shells, etc etc. Taye makes everything in house, so there is no resemblance to the Keller assemblers that populate the US Drum Market.

That said, Taye makes excellent drums and the pricing is extremely fair. The current head of design and sales for the USA is Todd Trent, former owner of Ontario Music and long time AR guy for Ludwig. The new Taye BNOB drums are remarkably similar to Black Beauties and were designed by Todd, go figure

Congrats on your new snare drum and happy birthday!
    Last edited by MattDrums; 05-29-2012 at 07:26 AM.

User Info Menu

YAY for brass! nice snare!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Thank you i do like it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Bump

Did you look into the Taye Brushed Nickel on Brass (Metalworks) at all? I've started kicking the tires on Ludwig Black Beauties and Noble Cooley Alloy Classics and for less than half of either, the 14"x5" Taye looks very attractive.
    What is the shell thickness of the Taye Nickle on Brass?

User Info Menu

All I could find was that the shell is rolled with a seam and is thinner than that of the Black Beauty. It is supposed to be in the neighborhood of a Pearl Sensitone or Ludwig Black Magic. For a specific measurement I have to either find some measuring calipers or pester the manufacturer.

User Info Menu

Nice snare! Congrats!!