Thread: aKit plus eKit: all together now?

hobbes1 Guest

Default aKit plus eKit: all together now?

I've been searching around this site and haven't really seen anything along the lines of what i'm thinking about. I have a five piece acoustic kit (12", 13" toms mounted on top of the kick drum and a 16" floor tom) with multiple cymbals (ride/crashes and splashes), HH and other percussions stuff (chimes, cowbell, tambourine, etc).
    i'm wondering if there are others who have melded together an eKit with the aKit and how they put it all together, pics, etc. i'm thinking for example, having eKit tom 1 and 2 mounted such that they sit just behind and above the aKit toms, floor tom mounted just above and behind the aKit tom, etc. i have a roland td-6v (5 pc with two cymbals and HH). is it fairly straightforward to make a setup like this? a waste of time as you can never get everything crammed into an ergonomical space?
    alternatively, there's the Neil Peart way with an eKit facing one way and the aKit facing the other...simply turn in place and have the alternate kit.

thoughts???
    thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Default Re: aKit plus eKit: all together now?

Not sure if you're talking about adding dedicated e-kit pads to an a-kit or a a/e conversion, but i've done the conversion on my acoustic. It's actually switchable from acoustic to electronic, given that you do some tuning here and there. Here's a few shots of how I did it:

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

hobbes1 Guest

hey russ. i was thinking more on the lines of combining into the same physical space, two different styles of kits (my E kit and my A kit) such that the toms, kick, HH, etc are in the same general location and could be played without a great stretch to get to one or the other. could put the full kits back to back ala Peart but trying to get my head around the logistics (or ergonomics?) of placing all the A drums with E pads (the roland td-6v pads) nearby, with the minimum of rack gear. hoping someone else has done this and could chime in with some pics...
    thanks

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what the point would be. Why not play one or the other?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hobbes, here's something was mucking around with a number of years back, using Alesis DM5 pads (the old type) and an acoustic set consisting of Ludwig rack toms, Rogers rack toms (as 'floor toms') an old Maxwin/hybrid bass drum, Tama Starclassic snare and various acoustic cymbals. ( 'scuse the cam-phone quality of the pictures).

The whole idea was to have, in general, most of the electronic components mounted on the rack whilst still having all the acoustic elements mounted on stands. The reason being is so that should I choose to have it only as an acoustic set, then I can easily just bring that without fiddling around with clamp mounts and readjusting the whole acoustic set to compenssate for the gaps left by taking out the electronic parts of the set.

Part One:

Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-17-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Part Two:

User Info Menu

Some other acoustic/electric hybrids:

Gigged with this one a couple of times a while back:

Pity I can't find a band that'll let me go wild with this one though, lol.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 04-17-2012 at 01:19 AM.

hobbes1 Guest

Drumbledore: yes! those first pics are pretty much what i was thinking about. gives me some idea of how it would look and could be arranged in order to play either A or E or both at the same time and save some space from having two separate kits set up.
    Kay-gee: the point would be for increased flexibility as to what i'm playing as well as being able to have some space saved in the room they will occupy.

cheers and thanks!

User Info Menu

After I joint a new band not too long ago where we play more hip hop sounding stuff I decided that I really needed a new snare, but I decided that rather than spending money getting a new snare I could use my ekit along with my mac and logic to sample a snare aswell as other percussive sounds and samples. It started out with me just having one pad just to the left of me but now I end up with my whole ekit set up next to my akit mainly to use percussive sounds and reverse cymbal effects, next time I have it all set up I'll get a pic up.
    "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - unfortunately I am one of them."

hobbes1 Guest

cool. thanks! looking forward to it