Thread: A2E Conversion

User Info Menu

Question A2E Conversion

Hello! I am new to using software and drum triggers. I recently got myself an acoustic drum kit converted to electronic using mesh heads and drum triggers. I got the Drum module: Alesis DM5 and a mixer: Behringer XENYX 1002.
    I dont like the drum samples of the DM5, so I plan to use Addictive drums. I will use the Addictive drums mainly just to get better sound to my kit.

I wonder how to connect everything together. I have Reaper and Cubase DAW available. How do I connect the DM5 to the mixer and from the mixer to my computer? I have read that I can use the 3.5mm jack to 2x RCA cable connected to my PC and then to Mono adapters in to the mixer. Or should I use midi to USB cable? I was told that I needed a mixer in order to hear my drums and my Ipod music at the same time. But my mixer does not have midi, if thats what i need. After searching the internet for awhile, it looks to me like the easiest thing is to connect my drum module to an Alesis I / O. and simply use the Midi to USB cable for my computer?

I do not know much about the configuration of DAW and Addictive drums together either. If you guys could give me a step by step, or explanation of what settings I need to use in DAW. All from audio settings and VST...I would be very pleased.

Thanks for any help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: A2E Conversion

Okay. I dont really need the mixer, is that correct? I probably just need an external sound card, to get low latency. So I connect midi in / out from the module (Alesis DM5) on to my sound card. And since the DM5 converts audio to MIDI, i dont need the Alesis I / O trigger, if I understand correctly?

Is there any sound cards you guys would recommend?

User Info Menu

I would have used a recording interface or trigger i/o to get it to the computer if anything, but if you don't have this an midi to usb converter will also work.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Seeing you have the dm5 which has a midi out I would just get a midi to USB cable plug it into the midi out than into the pc
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Hello!

Okay, now I have my Alesis DM5. I plugged all my drum triggers into the module. I have midi i / o from module and into my new sound card: M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I have Cubase 5 and want to trigger sounds from Addictive drums to my drumset. I have set my sound card as in / out in the Audio settings. I can hear the Addictive Drums sounds when I press the different drums in Addictive drums.

But my drum kit does not trigger Addictive Drums when I hit my drums. What am I doing wrong? Are there any other settings I need to change?
    Do I need any cables other than midi i / o connected from my module for my sound card? Or any settings I need to change on my drum module?

Thanks for the answers!

User Info Menu

Do you have appropriate drivers for your M-Audio installed and up to date? Is Cubase 5 fully installed as well?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yes, M-audio is installed with latest Drivers. But what do you mean when you say Cubase FULLY installed?

Here a image of some settings i have.

User Info Menu

Yes, i have the latest M-audio driver. But what do you meen when you say "Is Cubase 5 fully installed as well?" Is it even possible to install Cubase halfway?

User Info Menu

It works fine now!

Okay, I ended up with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Connected my module to the Sound Card through MIDI. I also ended up with Reaper as DAW. That was the program I was able to trigger sounds from Addictive drums to my drum kit easier, with the help of a Toturial video.

Here is a link to the video, if anyone should need it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Bzk...r_embedded#%21