Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cymbal cleaner

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal cleaner

Just wondering what everyone thinks the best cymbal cleaner is.

Anybody got any homemade concoctions that do the trick?
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

MY GOD THATS SACRALIDGE (SPELLING) .....

you mustn`t clean cymbals ...well not in my opinion anyway ...as they get dirty they grow character and (again only imo) it makes no difference if you clean them or not to the sound .leave them to mature mate !!I loathe shiny cymbals .....don`t ask me why i just do.Pure is good !!

dave

User Info Menu

I like 'em shiny for the show. Chicks dig it!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

im with pinkfloyd...i like older looking cymbals...plus the more dirt and stuff on them the warmer the tone...which i like personally...

User Info Menu

I like to use Zims Cymbal Cleaner. This stuff works awesome if you have a shiny cymbal like an A custom. I spray it on the cymbal and it just melts the crud off. I'm careful not to get any near the print on the cymbal, but to "get between" the print and the part of the cymbal that is not clean, I spray a cloth and go over LIGHTLY and man let me tell you, it looks sweet when you are done and the print stays on! After that I just run some hot water over the cymbal and dry it off with a lint free cloth and its brand new.

User Info Menu

Hi K. Never tried Zims cymbal cleaner, thanks for the review. I'll have to check it out.

I used to know this weekend drummer that always kept his cymbals glimmering. He'd polish those suckers practically twice a week! They were so bright, they almost blinded you when you walked into the club. Ha! I used to rib him about it all the time.

User Info Menu

they just look horrid shiny ....they`re not supposed to be shiny .if you look at pics of buddy rich (my hero) and the like their cymbals are almost moldy ..lol...you could grow mushrooms on those suckers and they sound really good .the only reason top drummers have shiny cymbals is cos they`re sponsored and get a new kit every gig almost .They certainly don`t polish them themselves .try letting them get dirty ....if you don`t like it you can always clean`em .....i would DEFINATLEY let the underside get dirty though.

dave

User Info Menu

some drummers swear but the caked in grossness on their cymbals be careful about cleaning them no physco chemicals what r u a crow who likes shiny things metalic is better

peace sign or flat line
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

and hey im a girl and shiny cymbals are weird rubbing dirt on them is better then them being shiny
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

I let the undersides get dirty, but I like the top to shine like it's new. That's why I was asking. Tried some of Zildjians cleaner, but it did'nt work too well. My hi-hats are filthy and I like them that way, but I would like to have some light reflection off of the cymbals during shows.

I don't know. I see the pros cymbals blindingly (is that a word?) shiny, so it kinda makes me feel more professional if mine shine too.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

your playing should make u feel professional not shiny cymbals
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I let the undersides get dirty, but I like the top to shine like it's new. That's why I was asking. Tried some of Zildjians cleaner, but it did'nt work too well. My hi-hats are filthy and I like them that way, but I would like to have some light reflection off of the cymbals during shows.

I don't know. I see the pros cymbals blindingly (is that a word?) shiny, so it kinda makes me feel more professional if mine shine too.

yeah but like i say mate those "pros" are using brand new cymbals for every tour because they`re paid too .they prolley have sabian and zildjian fighting over who`s gonna have the cymbals on the next ozzy osbourne tour etc ....wow what a thought ....wouldn`t that just be awesome !!

dave

User Info Menu

yeah it would!
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I like 'em shiny for the show. Chicks dig it!
    but only cuz the Chicks dig it!

heck yes i do. anyways,
    does the cymbals last longer if you clean them or does it not make any difference except for the shinyness?

User Info Menu

the sound ish important to the "dirt" helps ...i like the slightly earthen sound you get from the older ones... and as for life span a good cymabal should last a really longs time
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Watch for the strength of cymbal cleaner you get, if you do clean your cymbals. Lots of the pastes will take your brand names right off, and what is the point of having expensive cymbals if you can't show them off?

Some of the spray cleaners will leave brands intact and give your cymbals a nice shine.

HB58

User Info Menu

All of the logos are gone off of all of my cymbals....I don't care about that...I know what I have, and why I have them....but I do like a nice clean cymbal...they were clean when i bought them, and that's the sound I got when I bought them, and that's the sound I want now....so i try to keep my cymbals pretty clean, I like that nice bright sound of a clean cymbal.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Oh, and get this...I tried toothpaste on my A Custom splash....yes, toothpaste......it worked incredibly well....I may just clean the rest of my cymbals with it as well.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip BTG. I've thought about trying that but I figured it might be too abrasive.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

OK, I just figured something out...the toothpaste trick only works on lightly-soiled, brilliant finish cymbals (i.e., A Customs, et al)....if you have an old(er) Zildjian A or K, especially if it's REALLY dirty, toothpaste won't work.

User Info Menu

and the sound of a cymbal does change as it gets dirtier. the dirt gets into the tonal grooves, and in my opinion, "chokes" the cymbal a bit. but hey, each to his own. I know Buddy Rich never cleaned his cymbals. ::shrug::

User Info Menu

In my personal option, cleaning my cymbals is very important.. Along with my set.. I like too keep them clean, and don't allow build up of dirt on them.. It makes me look nicer too me and personally I think it keeps the sound orginal.. However on rides.. it's a different story.. Since the orginal rides are well.. I dunno almost too bright, not like the crashes and splashes.
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    I know Buddy Rich never cleaned his cymbals. ::shrug::
    i heaard he wasn't much on tuning the drums either.
    max

User Info Menu

Let em rot
    lol
    Really, i think, personally, it make4s for a better sound

User Info Menu

I hav been using automotive hand cleaner, the gel goopy stuff, on mine for about 10 years now. It removes off the dirt and 'stuff', but leaves the logos intact. For some reason it is easier on the logos than anything else I have used.

Keith