Thread: getting rusty in too little time?

User Info Menu

Default getting rusty in too little time?

I have the blues. I wasnt able to drum for 8 maybe 9 days, and i just went to have a session and while it didnt feel like a chore, i just was not in the pocket at all. I get self - frustrated easily to begin with but i mean come- on, i was rediculously losing it at some points during my playing. i could chalk it up to a bad day but it just has me in a po'd mood now. how do you guys feel about seemingly losing your mojo sometimes? this does not happen with me on guitar. i will stay positive however

User Info Menu

Default Re: getting rusty in too little time?

Cuz guitar is easy.

User Info Menu

To me, drums are like oranges and guitars are apples. An to me, different mind sets. But I have nights I play awful and nights I play well. The mood I approach it with is usually the deciding factor and if I'm just worn out from working all day. I noticed some days wen I have a heavy work load I don't play as well. But thats me.

It's frustrating whn I try to play Foo Fighters one night I'm spot on and the next night I peeter out before the end of the song. ButI've gotten anymore where on bad nights, I hang it up early and just relax. I always have tomorrow night to hit it again. Oh and sometimes when I'm realy struggling, I just start messing around on different beats. Try to get something positive and fun out of it.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Cuz guitar is easy.
    I really, really hope that you are joking ....

User Info Menu

i go through phases like you describe, and other days i tear the roof off my house.
    ive gone 3 or 4 days away from my drums and it shows.
    theres a saying, "i take a day off drumming i know it, 2 days my wife knows it, 3 days everyone knows it"
    everyone gets those days, hang in there.

User Info Menu

If I've had more than a couple of days off on the drums, I rarely play well on my first day back on the kit, but I'm usually ok the day after that.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I don't think it's your fault or anything, you've just been away from the kit a bit too long. While the majority of your playing instincts remain, you're out of practice and have probably lost the feel of things. Not really as bad as it sounds, because anything lost can be found again - you just have to search. Spend a while playing day to day and before you know it you'll get your groove back, sure enough. Good luck!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Cool Re: getting rusty in too little time?

Russ: +1

It's a cliche my dad always used when I got frustrated with something, but it's still true: "Rome wasn't built in a day." It took you some time to get your drumming up to speed, and it's something that you have to work on every day.

Don't beat yourself up (no pun intended) about getting rusty after nine days away from the kit. Just start where you are and work at it one step at a time. You'll get back there--you might even surprise yourself with your improvements!

All the best!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Its funny sometimes when i havent played in a while and i go back to playing I suck horibly, other days when i go back after a long break i do exceptionally good. I thought i was the only one this happened to. I have noticed that some stuff i can do on some drumsets but not others. Like when i was younger i would have problems doing even simple drum rolls on the toms at my home church, but when i went to other churches i could do anything my imagination would allow. wierd huh?
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian