Thread: songs for techniques

User Info Menu

Default songs for techniques

I was just wondering if anyone thinks of certain songs for helping them learn techniques, like for example to help you learn how to follow the bass line with your kick, a song to play along to for something like that could be "Sweet Child O' Mine" - I personally think that song is perfect actually for helping to learn that.

Anyone got any other examples and suggestions.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I learned to play triplets on the bassdrum by playing to the song "Dirty Harry" by the Gorillaz.

User Info Menu

Give It Away would actually be a better albeit harder song to learn following the bass with your bass drum...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I use a book called Rhythm section drumming which is excellent for developing that...comes with a cd also

User Info Menu

See, now this is what I was avoiding - books and lessons etc... As great as they are, having the various techniques reinforced by a particular song, showing HOW they can be applied is, I think, just as important.

For example, the recent talk about the song "Wipeout" - not only a great way to show how a single stroke roll can be used for a song, but also how to apply accents in a pattern to create an entire rhythm for a song, out of JUST a single strok roll - when you play along to these songs, not only are they fun (usually more fun than just doing a single stroke roll for five minutes), but they help develop and reinforce the technique/s and certain songs are really good for that.

Songs that take a technique and then apply it in a simple, yet effective way are a really good tool to use to learn that technique, hence why I mentioned "Sweet Child O' Mine" - it's a simple song, not much too it, but it really drives home the idea of your foot following the bass pattern - or else you can hear the song doesn't sound right - the drummer is forced to apply the technique and if it's something you struggle with - like I remember one of our fellow drumchatters did - then it's a good way to help with that. I mean lets face it, most of what we do has to be applied to a song right? Cool if you can play a triplet, but if you never know where to place it in a song, or attempting to means you can't play for a full count before or after, whats the point? So when you've got a song that DOES do that, in an easy way (while your trying to learn) it can be as beneficial as hours of practising the technique to a metronome.

Anyone got any other songs? Songs to help learn double kick, or odd time signatures, or triple stroke rolls, or that RLRLKK pattern that ahs been brought up before?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?