Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer section?

User Info Menu

Default Computer section?

I was wondering if it would ever become within the realm of possibility to have a section on computer related topics? I was trying to think of how exactly to word this thread to ask, so instead of just asking I thought i'd make a list of what supports the idea and what i'm proposing. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read!

- Being a site on the internet, you need some form of computer familiarity to use it.

- Computers are relative to drumming in the sense of a number of ways including but not limited to recording, midi, videos, and more.

- I have noticed some interest and various questions regarding them, so I don't see it as being an unused or waste of space section- almost everyone on drumchat is a computer user.

- Computer section could include threads that would address all types of concerns- laptops/netbooks, desktops, motherboards, cpus and gpus, cooling, power, drive types, audio, phones, internet, gaming devices and more(one thread alone would never be enough to cover these things, and it would be hard to find the information you need with the search button).

- This forum is a nicer and more respectable community than other computer forums i've been to, so there's an added advantage of avoiding drama and getting better responses from people you relate to in the drumming world.

- If put in the More Topics area, it is still visible and in the right area yet would not interfere with traffic towards the drumming specific sections above.

- I could see it being a great resource for drummers who really need help with computer concerns for one reason or another.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Computer section?

Sounds like a great idea to me. A lot of us involve computers in our drumming, whether it's e-kits, recording videos, recording with bands, studio recording, etc... and it might be helpful to people that are newer to that side of it to have an easy way to find info.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The only thing that I would caution against is the whole PC vs. Mac debate that can sometimes overwhelm what initially started as a friendly discusion from a question about computers.

Otherwise, there is a lot of room for it - maybe not computers specifically, but like you said - how a computer can be leveraged to do video, recoring, e-drums, etc.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

We have the Off Topic section that can be used for that, Russ.

If something warrants lots of attention, it'll be at the top of the list or at some point might be a sticky.

I think the current lay out seems to be the most efficient.

User Info Menu

I personally don't have a need for such a sub forum and I wouldn't read it if it were here. That's just me.

User Info Menu

I see too much potential for debate. Inevitably there will be a Mac vs PC debate. We all know who wins it.. Macs forever!

See what I mean? there ya go :P
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Debates can be fun, useful, and informative if kept good-natured- and not venturing off into a more heated argumentative type manner. The same can be said for any subject out there, there's always the potential for things to turn south(like brand vs brand for heads, drums, cymbals, etc). I'm not suggesting just for one central issue of mac vs pc, but all kinds of concerns fellow people in the same situation might have. I realize we have off topic, but it doesn't begin to cover everything and it would be a lot easier to find answers. Plus there's some that don't visit off topic at all- as I didn't for a while when I first joined. It's also a great way to increase participation here because you would not have to go elsewhere to ask these questions. I could see it as being a great resource, and help.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I vote yes...I see it as a quick in and out to get questions answered.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Debates can be fun, useful, and informative if kept good-natured- and not venturing off into a more heated argumentative type manner. The same can be said for any subject out there, there's always the potential for things to turn south(like brand vs brand for heads, drums, cymbals, etc). I'm not suggesting just for one central issue of mac vs pc, but all kinds of concerns fellow people in the same situation might have. I realize we have off topic, but it doesn't begin to cover everything and it would be a lot easier to find answers. Plus there's some that don't visit off topic at all- as I didn't for a while when I first joined. It's also a great way to increase participation here because you would not have to go elsewhere to ask these questions. I could see it as being a great resource, and help.
    I guess you are forgetting it is a DRUM forum first and foremost.

The Off Topic is there for that very reason.

Also, I think you just started the only argument out there for the PC v Mac issue by bringing it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I see too much potential for debate. Inevitably there will be a Mac vs PC debate. We all know who wins it.. Macs forever!

See what I mean? there ya go :P
    Typing this on a Macbook Pro.

User Info Menu

I totally appreciate that it's a drum forum. I was just acknowledging some of the possible benefits that it could entail, additions to enhance and assist. I truly believe both mac and pc users can both give as well as get help from fellow drumchatters who have the experience in the same situations and use the same stuff. Really it's a nice place in general, I don't see it descending into any flame wars or hot button discussions(a very well behaved group of people from what i've observed). It goes beyond that though, all types of questions could be address and avoid getting buried in off topic. Stuff like from what computer specs are best in order to run such and such program, how to fix heating issues, how to set up a light show on a computer, showing off your computer, and concerns for other types of technology too. Just a way to give these types of things a bit closer attention, since a lot of drummers out there use and rely on computers I thought it might be nice to have somewhere familiar to get help with these concerns. The only thing I really want is to help, and that's why I believe in this idea whole-heartedly.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

It'll probably quickly turn into a gaming sub forum lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Timex Sinclair forever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Timex Sinclair forever!
    The first computer that I remember using was a BBC Micro, and that's also the time I started gaming. I was about 3 or 4 at the time and I remember playing games like Frak!, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Granny's Garden, and of course, Repton.

This tune always reminds me of Manic Miner, lol

Last edited by xweasel; 04-23-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I totally appreciate that it's a drum forum. I was just acknowledging some of the possible benefits that it could entail, additions to enhance and assist. I truly believe both mac and pc users can both give as well as get help from fellow drumchatters who have the experience in the same situations and use the same stuff. Really it's a nice place in general, I don't see it descending into any flame wars or hot button discussions(a very well behaved group of people from what i've observed). It goes beyond that though, all types of questions could be address and avoid getting buried in off topic. Stuff like from what computer specs are best in order to run such and such program, how to fix heating issues, how to set up a light show on a computer, showing off your computer, and concerns for other types of technology too. Just a way to give these types of things a bit closer attention, since a lot of drummers out there use and rely on computers I thought it might be nice to have somewhere familiar to get help with these concerns. The only thing I really want is to help, and that's why I believe in this idea whole-heartedly.
    Then should we also do a section for appliance purchases, new siding, etc?

See my previous answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

See my previous answer.
    Ya! now we're talkin...you shoulda seen my toaster in the 80's man! it was all decked out like the lead guitar player from Spandau Ballet! No wait...did they even have a guitar player? Off i go to find that illusive toaster forum!

User Info Menu

See my previous answer.
    That's not what I was suggesting or asking at all. It's just that there are a lot of specifics involved with computers, and I think those types of questions and concerns would quickly get buried in off topic. I'm pretty sure a computer or an ipod has a bit more to do with drumming than a toaster or a coffee machine does.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That's not what I was suggesting or asking at all. It's just that there are a lot of specifics involved with computers, and I think those types of questions and concerns would quickly get buried in off topic. I'm pretty sure a computer or an ipod has a bit more to do with drumming than a toaster or a coffee machine does.
    Same difference. Use the Off Topic section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Ya! now we're talkin...you shoulda seen my toaster in the 80's man! it was all decked out like the lead guitar player from Spandau Ballet! No wait...did they even have a guitar player? Off i go to find that illusive toaster forum!
    Hey, I thought the appliance section would be cool.

A lot of drummers drink coffee and have toast occasionally.

User Info Menu

Same difference. Use the Off Topic section.

To my understanding, the off topic section addresses that which does not relate as closely to drumming in general as is seen elsewhere. I can't understand how computers are lumped together with household appliances and not drumming. How many recording and live environments have you been to that don't have one anywhere in sight? It might be nice to ask what is needed to run a piece of software, fixing your music player, things to avoid doing, maintenance of software/hardware, etc. These types of things are of a closer relevance to drumming and less recreational or fun type threads that OT has. It's like trying to put your pans in the silverware drawer, it just doesn't go there.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think that it is relevant, good idea, but I can also see Bish's points because it isn't directly related to drums.

Would it be possible to give it a trial period to see if it takes off?
    I mean if it turns out that there is a lot of good, informative posts that are related to drums, why not? If it doesn't work out you could always take the section down.

Just a thought, don't mean to cause trouble.

ZK
    Last edited by ZildjianKid234; 04-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

I get your point Russ and it's a good thought but I'm not sure that the demand is really there to justify its own sub-forum. Take the "album reviews" forum as an example. A couple people rooted for it, we decided to try it and it has all of 18 threads in it. So I don't think those types of things really take off the way you might think. Maybe start a dedicated thread to that subject in "off topic" and if it takes off, we could sticky it or make it part of "The best of DrumChat". Sound fair?

User Info Menu

Well said, drummer.

Thank you!

To my understanding, the off topic section addresses that which does not relate as closely to drumming in general as is seen elsewhere. I can't understand how computers are lumped together with household appliances and not drumming. How many recording and live environments have you been to that don't have one anywhere in sight? It might be nice to ask what is needed to run a piece of software, fixing your music player, things to avoid doing, maintenance of software/hardware, etc. These types of things are of a closer relevance to drumming and less recreational or fun type threads that OT has. It's like trying to put your pans in the silverware drawer, it just doesn't go there.
    Wow.

Russ, we know you have had lots of computer problems and apparently are in need of technical support. Please don't try and make this your own personal forum.

Maybe you should branch out a bit and find other forums that will assist you? I offered and you blew me off!

Even if there were a dedicated section to computers, you are going to get every question under the sun asked. So are you going to moderate and make sure the questions only pertain to drumming questions about computers? It seems those kinds of questions are already being asked and answered without dedicating a section to it.

Oh and one more thing....

How many recording and live environments have you been to that don't have one anywhere in sight?
    Let's be careful and not get too personal. I don't think you want to get into a comparison with experience.

User Info Menu

Russ drop the puck and move on

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    Russ drop the puck and move on
    ROFL.

Well, I suppose this'll mean I don't get my appliance forum either.