Thread: Pratice

User Info Menu

Default Pratice

Forgive my spelling. I am sixty years old. Self taught, wood be drumer.
    I have been playing for five years. I pratice and enjoy playing along with,
    Arrow Smith, Wide spread Panic and most of the sixtys music. Lot of Stevy Ray Von, Blues, BB King. A country western rock band, Terry Lynn Bell &
    Backroads put me to work. We are booked up as a house band for the rest of the year. This band has a CD out. I am concerned about stamina.
    How can I build up my endurence.? Some times my base foot tires out in fast songs. Or my right shoulder gets to hurtin playin triplets on the ride.
    Am I too old to realize a life time dream ?.

User Info Menu

Hey Whiterook, welcome to drum chat!

You're not too old. Get some regular exercise (which is good for you anyway... and good for the heart!) Do stretching exercises for being limber and ride a treadmill or walk for stamina.

For your foot... Even younger drummers will tire due to just not having done it that much. Same with the shoulders. The more you practice and play, the easier it will get.

A few tricks:
    1. Play heel up so as to not wear out your ankle
    2. Put your ride cymbal lower and closer to you so that your arm isn't extended as much.
    3. Practice your basic rudiments (singles esp.) A LOT! This will help you play from the wrist and not the arm, and will keep you from wearing out as fast on longer tunes.

Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

Cool Pratice

Whiterook, welcome aboard! If I'm not mistaken, you are now the oldest (in age) member of DrumChat as well as the newest (in tenure)! If my math is correct, I used to be the oldest member of DrumChat, but I'm proud to pass the honor over to you. (I'm 55.)

If you want to do something badly enough, and are willing to do what needs to be done, you can do it--and since you've got a steady gig already, you're more than halfway there. To quote a 1980's slogan for a St. Louis area radio station: "You're never too old to rock and roll!"

drummer, great suggestions for all of us!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    drummer, great suggestions for all of us!
    I agree with Bongobro. There really isn't must I could say that would be any better than what Drummer said. About the only thing I might suggest is that if there is any arthritic change in the shoulder (I am 52 and a former chiropractor, so I have some idea what I'm talking about), using an ice pack on the shoulder for about twenty minutes after a gig, or an extended practice session, might help.

By the way, your story gives me hope. I started drumming about 4 months ago. You are definitely an inspiration, Whiterook!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ply the stuff you would usually play on a pratcice pad on a pillow instead. Playing on pillows is a good staminabuillder. And as drummer said. Rudiments!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A few tricks:
    1. Play heel up so as to not wear out your ankle
    omg, yes! I play heel down and get muscle fatigued in like 8 seconds, but heel up I can go for an hour..its so much easier.

User Info Menu

muscle fatigue! thats the word i wanted when i try explain someone the pain i go through doing heal down, thanks mich :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    muscle fatigue! thats the word i wanted
    haha..lafirin's so stupid he thinks "muscle fatigue" is one word! (we all know its 2!!! ROFL) everyone laugh . haha Jk man..i just hadda make a funny.

User Info Menu

Your wish is my command Mich.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHHAHAAH AHHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHA HHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHA HHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHA HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHHAHAAHAH HHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHH AHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHH AHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHH AAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA HAAHAHHAHAAHAHHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAH AAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAH AAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHHAA HAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA AHAHHAHAAHAHHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAA HAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAA HAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHA

User Info Menu

well at least i dont want to kill someone when i talk about buddy rich's talent! now thats a crime only jk

User Info Menu

oh and whiterook, welcome to the chat!

User Info Menu

Welcome Whiterook! Not a whole heckuva lot to add to what has already been said by Drummer, BBro, Laf, Vin, MI and others. They've all given truly excellent advice. Stamina comes with practice, practice, practice. And then even more practice. I believe Buddy Rich was well into his 60's and was still knockin' 'em dead with nary a drop in speed or stamina so age isn't a factor unless you let it be. Congrats on the band and the long-term engagement. That's awesome!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861