Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zildjian Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Sticks

I think they have the coolest name in the cymbal industry and the cymbals aren't too bad either
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    Yeah Zildjian may own Vic, but they aren't made in the same factory.
    Not to be argumentative, but yes they are. Zildjian closed the Alabama plant several years ago and handed production of Zildjian sticks over to Vic Firth. This deal was the beginning of a relationship that eventually led to the recent merger. Both brands are manufactured in the same VF facility in Maine, by the same staff. I have been there twice.

The design of Zildjian sticks and the artist relations staff ARE indeed separate, as with many aspects of the Z/VF merger. The Z design team sends the specs to VF and VF makes them, so in that sense they are separate entities.

Ultimately, stick choice is about feel and tone, so this is just an academic discussion anyway. Play what you like.

User Info Menu

That is how they break. I was given a new set of sticks by the store I bought them from today, and it really looks like you can clearly see ply's of wood. I thought sticks were one solid piece?

User Info Menu

Zildjian does not own Vic .... They are business partners that is all

User Info Menu

Found one of the older threads on this subject:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...zildjian+firth
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have broken all makes and models of sticks over the years..as someone else has already said..play what you like..and realize these are replaceable tools...they are wood...they break. and xoferif09..don't confuse plys with growth rings..I have never seen ply-veneer sticks, metal yes...ply veneer no. My wife came home with some Louis Bellson Z sticks..great deal..would I have bought them..no, not my cup of tea..but they do have that saturn ring on tip that does, surprising as it sounds, makes a difference on ride cymbal..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Re: Zildjian Sticks

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    FYI - Vic Firth has been making Zildjian's sticks for them for several years now. The arrangement went so well that Zildjian went ahead and bought VF last year.

I get a chuckle every time someone says "Zildjian sticks suck! Get some Vic Firths!" .... ummm, same stuff dude.
    They both suck IMO. The best up to date from all the brands out there for me have been the Los Cabos made in Canada and one of the most long lasting durable stick I ever used.

User Info Menu

I was just chiming in here to see if anyone else was having issues with Zildjan sticks. Every pair..so far, that I've purchased have had the tip snap, or split off much like in the previous photos in this thread. Vic Firth, Los Cabos are still together albeit getting shredded by the hats. Regaltips are split but still in one piece. I kinda liked the feel of the Z's but getting 20 minutes out of em doesn't work for me. Trial n error as it were!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    They both suck IMO. The best up to date from all the brands out there for me have been the Los Cabos made in Canada and one of the most long lasting durable stick I ever used.
    You must have had some defects, because i've not once in 12 years broken a pair of Vic Firths.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    You must have had some defects, because i've not once in 12 years broken a pair of Vic Firths.
    When I use the 5a Vic Firth American Hickory Extreme's they take oh about 6 months to be useless. The don't really break, but get so wittled down that they become flexible. Good old American Hickory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've never had any break on me either but they deteriate faster than my Los Cabos which seems to last longer than the others. I am not a hard hitter on the cymbals or hhats and maybe that is why my drumsticks last longer.

User Info Menu

It's funny, because just as you're using the 5A Antivibe sticks, made for electronic drums, I also occasionally use Vic Firth's E-Stick (meant for e-kits) but they feel nice and balanced when playing on an acoustic set. Horses for courses, I s'pose....
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8