Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long have you been playing

User Info Menu

Default how long have you been playing

for me? getting close to 3 whole months, or id like to say 11 weeks it sounds longer

User Info Menu

bout 1 year and a half

User Info Menu

lol..i never know what to say when im asked this question. Let me explain.

I got my 1st drum kit 4 years ago in 7th grade. It was a super cheap non-name brand beginner kit. I banged around in it for a few months knowing absolutly about drums. The next year it kinda sat dormant and i played it intermitantly. Then I moved from FL to MI and never took them out of the moving packaging the whole year..so they just sat in my basement for a year. Then i moved from MI to NC and decided to set my drums up. I banged around on em for like a month still knowing absolutly nothing about drums. I then sold those and bought my ludwig classic maples, and zildjian A customs. At that point i started to really take drumming seriously. So basically i have been taking it really seriously for like 8 or 9 months. So idk whether to say ive been playing for 4 years or 8 months..so i usually say 8 or 9 months lol. Thanks for readin my situation.

User Info Menu

i think alot of people here have had that same situation, i think kevin in particular. cool man keep it up, and stay seroius!

User Info Menu

i wanted to play since i was like 7 but was too lazy to do anything about it, and didnt have any money (i was 7) and then earlier this year i got a drumset and started taking lessons around mid to late april- ive learned really quickly and i have an incredible drum teacher so that helps

www.duanenorman.com thats his website

User Info Menu

I've been playing about 26 thousand years now. I can even play a paradiddle!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've been playing about 26 thousand years now. I can even play a paradiddle!
    wow that long! what was your first kit man??

User Info Menu

Well, CC, I've got you beat by a month. I've been playing on the set for about 4 months now. Of course it took me a lot longer to get there than it will you! I am hoping that it won't take me 26 thousand years to get my paradiddle down.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Almost 20 years. (it's really 19 years right now, but I just round up.)

User Info Menu

2 years. But i havnt been 100% committed for all of that time.

User Info Menu

eh...I've been playing percussion since 6th grade...but I've only been playing drumset since about last october...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

since year 6..... This is my 9th year.... Wow nearly a decade.... Kewl :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    Almost 20 years. (it's really 19 years right now, but I just round up.)
    Hey, EL, I could tell from your posts that you had a fist full of experience. BTW, if I round up, I'm still a beginner!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

1 year. And almost a week.

Yet I still feel that for all my hours of practicing each day I'm not that good :(
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey, EL, I could tell from your posts that you had a fist full of experience. BTW, if I round up, I'm still a beginner!
    we all start somewhere.

User Info Menu

Amen!! No matter how old I get, I hope that until my dying day, I'll be a beginner at something!

User Info Menu

i played all through junior high. got my first set in 7th grade. kit got destroyed in 9th grade. i was a into basketball through high school played a lot of that. that was really all i had time for. went to play ball in college for 2 years and once i finished with that i got back home and was done playin. first thing i did was buy a new set. that was in january of this year. glad to be at it again.

User Info Menu

4 months

User Info Menu

10 years and goin on 11
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

3.5 years and have loved every second of it!

User Info Menu

10 mos. and somewhat impatient.

drums-rock Guest

Just coming up to 1 and a half but for the first half i wasnt really interested but ive been really trying this year

User Info Menu

3.5 years. Started drumming in 2004 in school, my teacher really didn't teach me much except a rock beat, since the classes had 5 people or more in a single class he mainly focused on the others.

In 2006 I got a new drums teacher because the school hired a music company to train us instead of different individual people per class. Again 5 per class so I didn't really learn much.

This year I've got a teacher for the drum-line etc stuff. Before this year I couldn't imagine not knowing how to do flams and paradiddles (sp?). What really motivated me this year was how I bought myself a double pedal and a new cymbal, I couldn't think of boring and repetitive my drumming was before I had another cymbal and bass drum pedal.

User Info Menu

Well I wasn't sure so I looked on the inventory I keep of my instruments to see when I bought my first set. It was Feb. 12, 2005, which means that I've been practicing playing drums regularly for 2 years, 5 months, and 6 days. I did put in some time in the percussion section back in Jr. High and High school (taht was a long time ago, I graduated HS in 78). As a piano player I got to play some keyboard percussion back then. I really don't count that towards my playing the drums time, although I did get some exposure to rudiments, and sticking back then.

User Info Menu

Okay, like, you all make me feel real, real OLD!! I started playing drums (took my first lesson) in *gulp* 1967. Took lessons for approx. 10 years and got my NARD (National Association of Rudimentary Drummers) certification during that time - not even sure if NARD is still around (*double gulp* 1977). Played around in bands from 1974 through about 1980. Sold everything and got married (the first time), entered the service (played in the Coast Guard Basic Training Marching Band and auditioned for the Coast Guard Band). Life continued to about 4 or 5 years ago when I got involved with drums again - did the rock band thing for a couple of years, sold everything (again!!!) and I just bought another set about 6 weeks ago and am again in a band playing "paid" gigs (yep, we actually get paid to do this - our second one is this Saturday!). So I guess you could say that I've been playing about 40 years (with a layoff in the middle). Geez, that is a very long time - Um, I can play a paradiddle - pretty fast I might add (not to brag or anything - heck, after 40 years I BETTER be able to play a paradiddle or I might as well hang it up now!!!)

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 07-18-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861