Thread: recording!

User Info Menu

Default recording!

Who's done it!? And I'm talking about with your own band coming up with your own stuff. Next Wednesday I will be recording drums for the first time ever and I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. What's it like recording, like how is it done, what should I expect?

And also, we are just recording one of our songs first and the thing is, is that I don't have all the drum beats down. Like I know most of what I'm playing but I'm still thinking of beats for some parts. Is that bad? Should I know everything I am playing before I go in next Wednesday?

----------
    Recording Drums
    -Keep drumming, never stop-

User Info Menu

Default Re: recording!

I recorded a 4 song EP with my band in November. Your timeline is WAY tight for my liking. I rehearsed for about 6 weeks with a metronome and tried to know what I was gonna play for every part. I wanted to be absolutely as prepared as I could be. Time is money in the studio and I didn't want to be the reason we had to spend another few hundred dollars b/c I didn't know my drum parts.

My advice is relax, have fun, but get down to business.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I recorded a 4 song EP with my band in November. Your timeline is WAY tight for my liking. I rehearsed for about 6 weeks with a metronome and tried to know what I was gonna play for every part. I wanted to be absolutely as prepared as I could be. Time is money in the studio and I didn't want to be the reason we had to spend another few hundred dollars b/c I didn't know my drum parts.

My advice is relax, have fun, but get down to business.
    yep.... +1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

blinkk, dude you need to know your drum parts as you say...you may be playing on studio drumset! maybe not..but in recording you have to be consistent...you may be asked to re-record from a certain measure..( part of song ) that has to be fluid with original.. it can be a little intimidating at first...get use to hearing and learning from the playbacks and again...know your song
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

i recorded back when i was 17, great guitarists, great bassist, i got to sit in on an awesome Ludwig, used a 4 track.
    we sounded much better unrecorded, im sure my friend back in jersey still has the tape.
    played Creams Sunshine Of Your Love.
    typical high school band noise included in the track.

User Info Menu

all good advice here..... getting comfortable playing to a click is a big thing. Stay on task. Sometimes it gets boring and you'll get frustrated but try to shrug off any mistakes and keep the energy up.

User Info Menu

Another thing...take a big jug of water and a couple snacks. And a few pair of fresh sticks. If you're using your own drums make sure the heads are in good shape and they are tuned the way you like them. You can (and will) tweak tuning when you get everything mic'd.

Also, make sure none of your hardware is squeaking or making noise. You don't want that on the recording.

Get a good nights sleep the day before.

And HAVE FUN!

User Info Menu

Whether it's okay that you don't know all of your parts really depends on your studio situation.

When my band recorded it's 5-song EP in the winter, I had a great idea of what I was going to play for 4 of the songs, but the 5th one was throwing me for a loop. We had tried many different grooves and such in practice but could never figure it out. Once we got in the studio the producer had some great ideas for what to and it all came together nicely. This was okay because we were getting a discount on the studio and the engineer was a great friend of ours that had a fantastic ear for music and worked as the producer as well.

If you're paying tons of money in a studio that you're not affiliated with, I would say that having a good idea of what you are going to do before hand would be the best option. You have almost a week, I bet you can work it out!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    Whether it's okay that you don't know all of your parts really depends on your studio situation.

When my band recorded it's 5-song EP in the winter, I had a great idea of what I was going to play for 4 of the songs, but the 5th one was throwing me for a loop. We had tried many different grooves and such in practice but could never figure it out. Once we got in the studio the producer had some great ideas for what to and it all came together nicely. This was okay because we were getting a discount on the studio and the engineer was a great friend of ours that had a fantastic ear for music and worked as the producer as well.

If you're paying tons of money in a studio that you're not affiliated with, I would say that having a good idea of what you are going to do before hand would be the best option. You have almost a week, I bet you can work it out!
    Yeah thats my situation. Like the parts I'm not sure on, I have an idea of what I want to play but I keep changing it because I feel like it doesnt sound right. The guy we're recording is a friend of ours so he's helping us out a bit.

Thanks for all your help everyone

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've recorded a bit with my previous band. My suggestion is really to know what you're going to play. You mention having an idea of what to play, but it doesn't feel right. My suggestion would be to get that set before you record, or you will be spending a lot of time playing the same song over and over again.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

to click or not to click that is the question.

Time is money like said and if you're not comfy with what your going to do that could be a challenge. Get the drums checked and get yourself the best headphone mix you can because it's going to feel a lot different playing the song with them on. Knowing the parts or what you want to do in certain parts is pretty important.

relax have fun and don't think too much.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My suggestion would be to know the songs like you know your name before you go into the studio. Also keep it simple, don't try to be Neil Peart your first time in. The more takes you have to do the more money you're spending.

User Info Menu

Okay, so i ended up not going that time because something came up and we couldnt do it so now I am going to record today. I was a bit happy though that it got pushed back because i got to work on some of the parts i didnt quite know but I know them better now but I can still play around with them. I am SO nervous but excited at the same time considering its my first time and hopefully the first of many. anyone have any advice on how to calm my nerves down a bit? I am just going to try to ignore those feeling and have fun