Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DW Performance Series White Ice

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Performance Series White Ice

Yes, those are the Speed Cobras. At first, they threw me off. There's very little resistance and I'm used to my old Pearl dbl-pedal. I haven't had much of a chance to play kit though. Need to be considerate with the gf and not play when she's around. I think with practice, the Speed Cobras will feel 10x better than the Pearl. I can already tell they are fast pedals.

As for playing DT tracks the same as on the e-kit, that will also take practice. I'm still getting used to new positions, and having more things to hit on. Big adjustment from the smaller footprint I used to have.

I guess you could stabilize the legless hi-hat on a solid cymbal stand, but I have no experience with that scenario. Could be an experiment for you.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    As for playing DT tracks the same as on the e-kit, that will also take practice. I'm still getting used to new positions, and having more things to hit on. Big adjustment from the smaller footprint I used to have.
    I guess you could stabilize the legless hi-hat on a solid cymbal stand, but I have no experience with that scenario. Could be an experiment for you.
    Just what I'm going through after 12 years of playing the electronic kits..........but I confess, I'm loving the acoustics again.

RE: legless.............
    Back in the 70s I had a Ludwig DB kit that had a legless hi-hat that attached to the left bass hoop at the 11 o'clock position...........it worked OK but not great..........and as with all clamps back then, it tore up the finish on the hoop.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I don't have nice backgrounds or stage settings yet, so all I can do is tinker with image processors. I think this came out pretty nice. Used a real point-and-shoot camera this time.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

What is it about the color of your kit that makes it look so good? I mean.. its just white right? But it looks BETTER than white for some reason. Something about it is different.. in a good way!
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Wow, I thought I already posted here haha, once again, very nice. The Speed Cobras are a nice touch, I want a pair so bad haha

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    What is it about the color of your kit that makes it look so good? I mean.. its just white right? But it looks BETTER than white for some reason. Something about it is different.. in a good way!
    I <3 white kits. They've always appealed to me, and I always wanted to own one Now I do!
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

I got more goodies today.

Received my new legless snare basket, but the extension arm that attaches it to the rack is too small. Have to order the bigger model.

Here it is nonetheless

...and my deccabons are in!

They aren't set up properly, it's just a quick photo. I'll mess with it later. Haven't decided how/where exactly I'll mount them and how to incorporate the rotos with it all.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Hey, what lengths are your Deccabons?

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit Digital!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Hey, what lengths are your Deccabons?
    I got the 18,20,22 and 24".
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

That is simply outstanding, digital.

Well done, bud!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    The White Ice is really a beautiful finish. If you haven't seen it in person yet, don't go to a DW dealer, or you will be opening your wallet before you know it!

Digital, do you like your PS snare? I was not that impressed with my 6.5" and haven't really taken it out of its case.
    Last edited by jeffsw6; 05-05-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    DWPS 7pc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsw6 View Post
    do you like your PS snare? I was not that impressed with my 6.5" and haven't really taken it out of its case.
    I have the 6.5x14 DWPS maple snare. I like it. It's a heavy 10-ply maple shell with solid hardware, 10 lugs, 3mm hoops, smooth as butter mag throw-off and a good tuning range. I'm currently using a HD Dry / Hazy 300 combination. I also added a DW 3P butt plate.

What kind of issues do you have with yours?

User Info Menu

I don't really have much experience with snares, so for now it's fine. My only other snare was an old steel Tama Rockstar from the mid-90's. It's much better than that one.

I'll be trying different tunings / muffling and see what it's capable of.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    What kind of issues do you have with yours?
    It has been a while since I tried it, but to me, it felt like it is all attack and wires and not much warmth? I guess it's good for a "kit snare" but when I bought the PS I also got a collector's snare.
    DWPS 7pc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsw6 View Post
    It has been a while since I tried it, but to me, it felt like it is all attack and wires and not much warmth? I guess it's good for a "kit snare" but when I bought the PS I also got a collector's snare.
    I gotcha. If your getting the sound you like from your Collector's I can see why your DWPS snare gets neglected. I hope to pull the trigger soon on a new snare. My DWPS snare may not see much play time if I do.

User Info Menu

all these sweet dws... bah, if im ever in the americas again im saving for one... then ill be "in the team" so to speak, ill be defs happy lol

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Re: DW Performance Series White Ice

Very nice kit! Love the white finish. Just to pass on a further tip in regards to the Roto toms mount options with your rack. You can utilize the clamping feature of the Gibraltar multi-clamp to safely secure the threaded shaft of the roto in the multi-clamp's channel providing you don't tighten down on the threads. The channel is notched in a "V" shape and there's enough clearance to protect the threaded shaft and the clockwise rotation of the clamping handle will tighten down on the multi-clamp as though it was the roto rail.

Here's a few pics to show you what I'm talking about:

This other option will allow you to mount to curved rack pieces as I did in this set up if you want the rotos to be more ergonomically friendly or split them up around the rack as separate pieces.

User Info Menu

That's a cool idea...just need another $75 for 3 more clamps :P
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

What a beast of a kit, Digi. Nice work.

User Info Menu

I got my longer extension arms. I can put the hi-hat pretty much anywhere now. Doesn't feel as limited and I can also now use my no-leg snare stand.

I also bought a new bell. The Sabian Stage Ice bell wasn't the sound I was looking for. I might sell it, but for now I still have it. I got a 6-7" Stagg bell. Not sure which size it is, but it sounds perfect.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

It's all coming together nicely.

User Info Menu

I finally got my tom mounts, so I spent most of the afternoon and evening reconfiguring my kit. I lowered the rack 6-8 inches, repositioned pretty much everything. I think it looks better this way, plays well too.

I may cut the tom mount arms a bit, so I could lay the toms a bit flatter without hitting the bass drums.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I like that 2nd shot. What a kit!

User Info Menu

I just replaced the tom heads with Evans G2. What a difference. The 16" floor tom really came alive with a nice deep, controlled sound. So far I'm really impressed with them.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Ooohhh nice. A 2-ply coated head from either Evans or Aquarian is my next head change.