Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DW Performance Series White Ice

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Performance Series White Ice

Digital,you said,
    "I may cut the tom mount arms a bit, so I could lay the toms a bit flatter without hitting the bass drums."
    Instead couldn't you clamp the tom arms in the center of the rack where you have more room with the mount arms facing away from each other? Save arm cutting!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I might be able to. I need to take the kit apart soon since I'm taking it to a recording studio for 1-3 songs. I'll be trying a different setup and hopefully a cleaner look as well as being easy to play on.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I just replaced the tom heads with Evans G2. What a difference. The 16" floor tom really came alive with a nice deep, controlled sound. So far I'm really impressed with them.

I agree, i love the G2 coated heads. My toms sound amazing with them. I switched from the EC 2 clears to the G2's a while back.

Have you heard the new evans black chrome heads? They have a very deep tone. I'm going to put them on my Sonor kit.

Your kit looks excellent by the way.

User Info Menu

I've just moved to the coated G2's on my toms and, so far, I'm really enjoying the warmer, deeper response to the clear equivalents.

Great setup BTW
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I just replaced the tom heads with Evans G2. What a difference. The 16" floor tom really came alive with a nice deep, controlled sound. So far I'm really impressed with them.

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I agree, i love the G2 coated heads. My toms sound amazing with them. I switched from the EC 2 clears to the G2's a while back.

Have you heard the new evans black chrome heads? They have a very deep tone. I'm going to put them on my Sonor kit.

Your kit looks excellent by the way.
    I might give the Black Chrome a run. The video I heard of them I wasn't terrible impressed but I only need 2 heads so it's cheap enough.

User Info Menu

I've been toying with the idea of making my kit a bit more portable without investing too much, so I decided to try a hybrid solution. I bought two heavy-duty Ludwig boom stands and attached a curved bar with a few clamps for my existing stands. The result is decent, but will still need to spend time tagging things before teardown so it goes faster.

Here's what it looks like

Last edited by Digital; 09-08-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

If you're gonna run that 5 piece set up I would think you could set up and tear down a heck of a lot faster ditching that horizontal bar and just mounting your toms on 2 cymbal stands.

User Info Menu

I'm planing to add 1 or 2 more cymbals, and all my stands are made for racks. The bar comes off really easy, and it's very light weight.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals