Thread: Double Bass exercises?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass exercises?

Just got my new acoustic set and it came with a nice DW 7000 double bass pedal so i wanted to really develop in that department of drumming. I've only done very basic double bass things when i used to take lessons and i was never really taught anything that would really develop my coordination, speed and control. So my question is what double bass excercises could you do to really develop those three aspects?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Bass exercises?

just practice the 40 rudiments and just have fun with it ...blasting away can be fun but making some tricky fills is just as cool imo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    just practice the 40 rudiments and just have fun with it ...blasting away can be fun but making some tricky fills is just as cool imo
    Yep, use the same exercises you did with your hands , but now with your feet. Another thing I did when I first started with double kick was, I took the beater out of my right pedal so I was forced to play using only my left foot for at least an hour a day.

User Info Menu

Here are some double bass drum tips:

Also, I don't think that practicing the 40 drum rudiments is the best approach when it comes to starting out on double bass. That's a bit daunting and more on an advanced approach. What you want to do is get your singles down "real good" first. Get them to a fast speed. Then, you can throw in some more common and practical strokes like the 16th note triplet into the "and" where "&" is the snare drum and crash together. For example, "1-ta-ta" &. These types of beats will give you more of a direction and be more fun to practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Also, I don't think that practicing the 40 drum rudiments is the best approach when it comes to starting out on double bass.
    couldn't agree more .

User Info Menu

The only double bass exercises I've ever done was to play along to songs. Pick songs that are fun but not too hard at first. I always refer people to the album Judas Priest - Painkiller. Songs like Hell Patrol are a nice steady pace. There are a few speed increases in the song but for the most part, easy and promotes stamina.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    The only double bass exercises I've ever done was to play along to songs. Pick songs that are fun but not too hard at first. I always refer people to the album Judas Priest - Painkiller. Songs like Hell Patrol are a nice steady pace. There are a few speed increases in the song but for the most part, easy and promotes stamina.
    Yeah, that's what I do. For speed/endurance, I play along to a song that has long 16th note passages in it, e.g. Runes To My Memory - Amon Amarth, Esoteric Surgery - Gojira, Angel of Death - Slayer. For control, I'd play any of the Lamb of God songs I cannot play cleanly (I'm looking at you, The Faded Line ).
    When I started out, I played straight 16ths through whatever songs were at the right tempo, but keeping the hand patterns the same. Actually I still do that, lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

just get comfortable using your left foot , everything else will come pretty easy after that . if I were you i would just use my left foot as much as i can .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Invest in a metronome and start off slow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Invest in a metronome and start off slow.
    This is a good idea. I've been having trouble lately with my speed (Especially my left foot).

I too am just getting into my double bass, even though I've had it for two months now. I feel like I should be better than what I'm at right now.

Also, first post! :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramzorz View Post

Also, first post! :D
    Welcome to Drum Chat Ramzorz!

User Info Menu

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ht=double+bass

From my contribution in this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Like Russ mentioned, good posture is very important. Practice both heels up and heels down. What I sometimes do just to warm the left foot up a bit is to say take a very simple rhythm, say playing the right foot on "1" & "3", with the left hand playing the snare on "2" & "4" and the right hand playing all eighth notes (1&2& etc) on say the ride or a secondary hi-hat on my right, then, after a couple of bars, four bars, or any short phrase, shift to playing the left foot on "1" & "3" on the double pedal without interrupting the hands, whilst resting the right foot, and then swap between the feet.

Also practice simple eighth note exercises (RLRL played as 1&2&3&4&) first with the hands for one bar then with the feet for another bar for a bit, then swap around with LRLR for both hands and feet.....then challenge yourself and do the sixteenth note version of these exercises, both with RLRL top and bottom and then LRLR. You'll find trying to keep LRLR as "1e&a" "2e&a" for feet a good challenge especially. Do these as both heel up and heel down exercises.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I got a trick I stole from Gene Hoglan, I picked it up in DRUM! or Modern Drummer, don't remember which. He said play with ankle weights! I went out and picked up a decent pair and play with them for a while, it helps with stamina then you feel like you can fly once you take them off. I have a double bass work-out routine. They are all played at as fast as you but not so fast that you don't play steady or consistent, remember practice makes permanent, not perfect.

play a minute of each with just a simple beat over (quarters on hats, crash or whatever and snare on 2&4)

straight triplets
    straight 16ths
    straight triplets (weighted)
    straight 16ths (weighted)
    straight triplets
    straight 16ths

straight 16ths as long as you can untill it falls apart

now i also have a pattern from a song I throw in there, a minute weighted then a minute not. The song I use is Ruin by Lamb of God, I use the cool pattern Chris does in there. The pattern is the one he plays at 3:00 of the below video. I use that pattern to practice just not with the fancy technique he is showing there
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl98kxzHOw0

hope that helps!