Thread: drum tuning dvds

User Info Menu

Default drum tuning dvds

Tuning drums could be a pain in the butt,what do you guys
    think about a dvd to help tune drums,i dont think it could hurt
    i know you tube is always there but has anyone tried any

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum tuning dvds

wouldn't hurt...but lots of free stuff on the intarweb.

I found the Bob Gatzen (sp?) stuff on Youtube very helpful.

Just my $0.02...
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

its nice to see how other people tune drums , but nothing beats taking your drum key in hand , and learning how to use it . its really not as hard as you think it is . once you understand how a drum works , it will become easy. honest .....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    its nice to see how other people tune drums , but nothing beats taking your drum key in hand , and learning how to use it . its really not as hard as you think it is . once you understand how a drum works , it will become easy. honest .....
    +1

I agree with this almost 100%. The key part of this is "understanding how a drum works". If you don't understand how it works, it's just that much more difficult and frustrating to be continuously turning tension rods and still ending up with disappointing results. This is not to say that no one has never figured it out on their own. However, I'm sure it still took quite a long time. Myself, I struggled for a long time and I'm still working on my tuning skills. I've come a very long way from where I was and much happier with the results. For me, it wasn't just one DVD, You Tube video or document. It's been a cumulative steady dose of all of the above and taking the drum key in hand and applying it. If you're looking for a DVD that will help you to get a better understanding of drums and tuning, I highly suggest Bob Gatzen's "Drum Tuning, Sound and Design...Simplified". This DVD is a fantastic resource. Gatzen's DVD and the on-line "Drum Tuning Bible" are the two resources that helped me the most to understand drums and tuning. John Good from DW also has a great video on tuning drums here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxe

There's a lot of knowledge out there on tuning. However, as everyone typically states, there is no one quick easy way to learn how to tune. Having this knowledge available is definitely a big help, but it still will take much effort with a drum key in hand. I hope this helps.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,i found that tapping the drum head near the lugs
    all the way around seemed to work for me, then just a little
    tweaking from there,tuning can really drive you CRAZY,
    I love the Bob Gatzen stuff,that guy always gets it right
    I try to copy him,I really need to get him over here,where does he live?

User Info Menu

wow Bob Gatzen gets brought up without dissagreement.
    ive tried to tune his way (sequential) and it doesnt work for me.
    i had my kit tuned to the room its in, then last week put a loveseat in front about 3 feet. had to retune everything. few weeks ill move the couch again and retune again.
    tuning drove me nuts at first, now its like tying shoes

User Info Menu

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gatzen couldn't tune a radio.

There isn't 1 drum that he has tuned that would make it's way on my set.

User Info Menu

I hate the Bob Gatzen videos. They are all like, "just give this a twist, and then this one, bam, perfectly tuned drum"

I like the bass drum tuning method however.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gatzen couldn't tune a radio.

There isn't 1 drum that he has tuned that would make it's way on my set.
    wow Rick, i wonder why Gatzen is so popular , and your not , you seem to think that your sooo much better than him. why dont we see your tuning vids? Grace us with your vast knowledge. something that ive learned over the years is , people that put other people down , arnt as good as they THINK they are . show us how good you are , make us a tuning vid , then we can see how much better you are. in other words,, dont sing it,,, bring it ....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

drum tuning is preferential, he doesn't like Gatzens tuning preference. Also never claimed he was "good" at tuning, but he can tune to where he likes it apparently.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Let's keep it toned down guys. No personal attacks please. Try and use diplomacy.

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Diplomatic

User Info Menu

This is the method that seems to work the best for me. I made myself a turntable as well.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

wow Rick, i wonder why Gatzen is so popular , and your not , you seem to think that your sooo much better than him. why dont we see your tuning vids? Grace us with your vast knowledge. something that ive learned over the years is , people that put other people down , arnt as good as they THINK they are . show us how good you are , make us a tuning vid , then we can see how much better you are. in other words,, dont sing it,,, bring it ....

You know what you can do with your sarcasm.

How I tune my drums is how I tune my drums. I try to get the sound I want within the room I'm playing in.

Some like it, some don't. Same goes for just about all drummers.

If you have a bigger problem with me, take it to PM's and we will take it from there.

User Info Menu

my only problem with you is how you put other people down, to make yourself look better.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Take a look at "The Drum Tuning Bible", the grab your key and spend some time with your drums and learn how to tune them to get them the way that YOU like them. Nothing like trial and error once you understand the fundamentals.

User Info Menu

my only problem with you is how you put other people down, to make yourself look better.
    I dont think hes putting anyone down to make himself feel better,i think hes got an opinion,i thought thats what this is for, Q and A, anyhow i still wish i had a good ear and could tune these bad boys up properly,it could be frustrating at times

User Info Menu

PM's guys.. Please remember that this is a family site, and all ages read and are influenced by the posts here. I know there's rough situations at times(this being one of them), but please try not to let things get too heated okay?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If you think that's what it's all about, that is your problem.

I won't lose a minutes sleep over what you think. Your opinion of me is not that high up on my "give a damn" list.

User Info Menu

This: as Inthpktplayer said,"...grab your key and spend some time with your drums and learn how to tune them to get them the way that YOU like them."

The 'YOU' in this is the important part. Since drums are not usually tuned to set musical notes across the board(no book or school dictates the sound of a 10"x9" tom, for ex.), individuals' tuning preferences win out.

Worse yet:many drummers don't even realize that drums are tunable! They slap the heads on as tight as possible and blame the poor sound on the drum company. Thank the interweb for diverse info!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    This: as Inthpktplayer said,"...grab your key and spend some time with your drums and learn how to tune them to get them the way that YOU like them."

The 'YOU' in this is the important part. Since drums are not usually tuned to set musical notes across the board(no book or school dictates the sound of a 10"x9" tom, for ex.), individuals' tuning preferences win out.

Worse yet:many drummers don't even realize that drums are tunable! They slap the heads on as tight as possible and blame the poor sound on the drum company. Thank the interweb for diverse info!

Agree 100%. Drums are at the mercy of room acoustics, so any tuning "technique" would only work if you had the same drums, heads, and tuned them in the same place.

My drums don't sound like I would like them to sound. I was going to change heads a while ago, but, once this moving to North Carolina came up and it looks like a closing date on May 30th, when I move my drums there, they are going from a hugh concrete basement of about 2,000 sq. ft. to a room thats 444 sq.ft. with thick carpeting, I'm going to have to sit for a while and retune everything.

That's why I don't buy into tuning "techniques". As any gigging drummer knows, as soon as you move your drums, the sound changes. So even if someone's "tuning technique" works for you where you have your drums, once you move them, odds are, you are going to have to re-tune something.

The best thing you can do is learn how to tune YOUR drums.

User Info Menu

You could always get an e kit. Consistent sounds. But then i guess you have to worry about amps and speaker stacks and all that jazz :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi