Thread: How does this sound?!

User Info Menu

Default How does this sound?!

Hey gang! Hope you're all well.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me good/bad bits about this recording and any general advice to get better quality recordings in future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p1RR...ture=g-all-lik

Thanks in advance and all the best!

Kyle.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How does this sound?!

Hey SK. I am assuming you are playing along with a track that has drums. Is that correct?

User Info Menu

great job!

i think ya nailed the playing and the recording

rock steady
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Hey SK. I am assuming you are playing along with a track that has drums. Is that correct?
    Nucid you're right, I just thought obviously that would blur the sound my recording. Doh!

And thanks Kennabis!

User Info Menu

If you could post up your dry tracks sans the overdub I think we could get a better feel of your recording.

User Info Menu

Well played!!

User Info Menu

http://soundcloud.com/abysmalmusic/mr-pushover-mp3

Here you go!

At points it sounds like I'm flamming the snare, I don't know why it sounds like that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skillful Kai View Post
    http://soundcloud.com/abysmalmusic/mr-pushover-mp3

Here you go!

At points it sounds like I'm flamming the snare, I don't know why it sounds like that!
    I can't get to that behind the firewall, but something that might be happening to give that effect is that you might have your snare bleeding into another mic.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to record? How many mics? How are they placed? What interface are you using? What software/DAW are you using? Are you using any plugins? There are a bunch of different things that could be going on. I'm by no means knowledgeable about this stuff - I wanted to post to this thread to subscribe to it because I'm also at a place where I'm trying to learn a bit more about recording drums.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

You are in a corner with drywall very close so you are getting flutter echo I suspect. Also I would play with your overheads. Based on your video. I think they are above the cymbals close to your corners of the room. I am hearing a ton of high end wash which maybe a function of overhead position. Do me a favor and pull them back away from the wall towards where your drum seat is or behind it and do some test shots to se how they sound. If you can (which I suspect you can't based on the video) I would try to pull the kit away from the wall and turn it slightly. All in all pretty darn good based on mic position and drum kit position in that room. BTW, what plugins are you using for EQ and compression?

User Info Menu

The above two comments nailed it. There's definitely an echo, but I kind of dig it, I think your kit sounds great! The snare kind of reminds me of something from an 80's hairband, love it.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Hey guys cheers for the fantastic response!

Thanks Thunderstruck and Ciz for the kind compliments! I love my cheesy snare.

There's not much maneuverability in my room but I move it a good few inches I recon.

I'm using Sampson Co2 overheads and high hat and random other drum mics completely unbranded from Japan (very cheap!). So my mics arn't very good quality at all haha.

I'm using 8 microphones in total: Overhead 1, overhead 2, high hat, snare, bass, high toms, floor tom 1, floor tom 2.

All the mics are put through my brand new Tascam 1-800 interface which connects to my Mac Mini via USB and into Logic 8.

I use the U compressor on every track (third one down in the standard compressor options?) with a low ratio, no knee and the threshold hasn't been taken down much at all. My snare and bassdrum however I run into a Bus which has a heavy compressor on it which sends it back to the snare drum track. That's what makes it sound really really meaty, without it it sounds weedy as you can say hear on this earlier cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piHE...2&feature=plcp

Once I've mixed all the levels alrightish then i put an Adlimiter on the master track along with a multipressor to compress the high and low end a bit more, the multipressor will make the kick sound great and everything else sound quite high end-y but maybe you're right Nucid as the high end creates a bit of a wash and i'm not sure I like it now!

If you need any more 'splainin' about anything then just ask, I havn't really explained anything that well because I don't know what the hell I'm doing most of the time haha!

Kyle

User Info Menu

Yea you can hear the snare drum squeezed hard by a compressor plugin and bass track but it creates that sound that drummers like. One think you might think of doing is normalizing your tracks prior to compressing it which will improve the dynamic response of the compressor. And I like the sound you are getting from your mics. On multiple threads there are long discussion of getting mic A or mic B but all in all, a good ear and ability to get your head around the sound you are going for trumps the mic you are using. Again good job

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Yea you can hear the snare drum squeezed hard by a compressor plugin and bass track but it creates that sound that drummers like. One think you might think of doing is normalizing your tracks prior to compressing it which will improve the dynamic response of the compressor. And I like the sound you are getting from your mics. On multiple threads there are long discussion of getting mic A or mic B but all in all, a good ear and ability to get your head around the sound you are going for trumps the mic you are using. Again good job
    Thanks Nucid! I think I need to play around a lot more with the overheads and the toms especially, I'm not getting power or volume out of the toms =/

I just uploaded a new cover if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5wk...ature=youtu.be

I play this one really sloppily, I only just learnt it the other day. There's a lot more wash in this one from my crashes, I don't think I mixed this one as well as the others actually, maybe rushed the production and the actual recording haha.

User Info Menu

Listened to the track and enjoyed the mix as well as the playing. Agree with nucjd concerning the overheads. Do you config the 2 overheads in x-y pattern?

User Info Menu

Kick sounds good but I feel like the snare sound could be either compressed or eq'd a little tighter for a some more 'crack', if ya know what I mean! Just what I would do man!

User Info Menu

how do you record your audio just wondering
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

How do you see with the hair in your face lol it's like the mullet has moved from the back of the head to the front haha j/k

Drumming was spot on and solid

User Info Menu

Pretty good overall sound you have. Sounds pretty full and I like the way your snare sounds.

User Info Menu

Just so you guys know..............Kai posted this in 2012 and hasn't been on here in over 8 months

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Just so you guys know..............Kai posted this in 2012 and hasn't been on here in over 8 months
    So what's your point?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    So what's your point?
    Just thought I'd throw it out there

User Info Menu

It sounds the same when it was posted in April 2012