Drum Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 135

Thread: Drum Riser on the Cheap

  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    That looks great. You could probably get some fabric and Velcro and make a skirt for it that would be pretty small and light to transport.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

  2. #52

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Mine from back in the 80's. Two sections 3'x7' with 2x3's every 12" bolted together. 5 gallon buckets underneath for support, no lids, not necessary. I went a step further and cut holes around the outer edge of the riser and put sona buoy tubes in with lights shooting straight up. Looked sweet when smokey. Cost around $50.00


  3. #53

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    awesome man!! i love this idea. ill have to make one myself. and the parts list is amzing. just curious do you do constrution for a living or is this just something that comes as a no brainer?
    OCDP VANICE SERIES BLUE ONYX
    22" bass drum
    12" tom
    16" floor room
    13" pearl piccolo snare
    14" ocdp snare

    Zildjian cymbals
    20" A Ride
    18" A Crash
    18" Z3 China
    17" A Crash
    14" A Hi hats

    Practice
    Vic Firth
    Heavy hitter stock pad
    REMO, IRON COBRA, PRO MARK, AHEAD

  4. #54

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    rudd_timm, thanks for the nice comment. I do have a construction/lumber yard background and I have built my own homes as well. This idea is not revolutionary as I have seen it done in the past, just not exactly the same way I did it. People have been laying plywood on top of milk crates and buckets for years. I just wanted to take it to the next level and make something that looked good, was portable, and could withstand the rigors of all the gigs I play. I am happy to report that since its' construction it has not needed even one single repair and remains rock solid. We play out 6-8 times per month. Glad you like the list and instructions. I felt that it would help others to build their own if I could write straightforward directions (in English) and attach them to the pics.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

  5. #55

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    great idea ! thanks for sharing
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

  6. #56

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    More than enough stools (Stop, I know what you're thinkin'!) for before and after a gig set up if needed.

    A good place to hide smaller misc gear, jackets, totes, guitar cases maybe even.


  7. #57

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    i could see how that is a great idea for lightness. but that would just plain out right scare me especially with a big kit i would personally go for stronger but heavier with good off road casters on it. just an idea for yours add casters so you don't need to have help carrying it.
    Sabian!!!

  8. #58

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    i just though if you had scrap 4" pvc (i do) that would make a stronger base than buckets
    Sabian!!!

  9. #59

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Im totally impressed~! Concerning the buckets; Are they the 5 gallon plastic style buckets you get at hardware stores for pouring your paint into? And how many buckets did you end up using?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.


    If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

  10. #60

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    i could see how that is a great idea for lightness. but that would just plain out right scare me especially with a big kit i would personally go for stronger but heavier with good off road casters on it. just an idea for yours add casters so you don't need to have help carrying it.
    If the plastic scares you, you could simply use steel 5-gal. buckets instead. It looks superb and lightweight to me. Great resurrected post.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

  11. #61

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    1. I need something light to travel with, but sturdy (of course).
    2. I don't want it to take up much room. It needs to fold up and collapse easily.
    3. It needed to be able to be unloaded and set up , tore down and loaded, by one person. (I didn't want to need to rely on help).
    4. I wanted it to be expandable in height.


    I did this:

    I use "Bed Risers". $9 per 4 at Wal-Mart. (I use 24 of them = $56)

    I also have a dozen or so buckets ( like Rotarded did) if I want it taller, I got them free of of craigslist.. The key is they stack inside of each other and don't take up a lot of space when traveling. The buckets however, take a bit more space, and can be a pain to get apart.



    Two pieces of cheap chip board @ $13 a piece. I cut them so they are 7 feet long.



    I drape it, then put my rug on it. Black drape is a bed sheet from Goodwill = $2, the rug is an old one we had in in the house.




    Set the kit on it.



    It takes about 3 minutes to set up, and less than a minute to tear down and pack away. The wood slides into the side of the band trailer, and the bed post risers stack together and go inside a large case.


    I spent less than $100.
    Last edited by EddieV; 01-12-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

    SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

  12. #62

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Now thats just too cool~! Out of curiousity, what thickness is the chipboard?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.


    If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

  13. #63

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    always wanted to build my own riser.

  14. #64

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    i just though if you had scrap 4" pvc (i do) that would make a stronger base than buckets
    The original drum riser posted here could take the weight of a drum kit in a small car.
    Pic us when you get this heavy duty free wheeling one man mobile drum rack built.
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 01-12-2014 at 10:42 PM.

  15. #65

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Now thats just too cool~! Out of curiousity, what thickness is the chipboard?
    Half-inch.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

    SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

  16. #66

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    The original drum riser posted here could take the weight of a drum kit in a small car.
    Pic us when you get this heavy duty free wheeling one man mobile drum rack built.
    That's a fact. I play a 6 piece kit, use 7 cymbal stands and I weigh about 240lbs. When my bass guitarist jumps up on this thing to jam with me it doesn't even move. Those pails will support any size drum kit I would ever be willing to lug around. It simply does NOT move or bounce.

    For those that asked, they are 5gal "Homer" pails from the Home Depot. They never get stuck together because I drilled a small hole in the bottom of each one. No suction to hold them together! I forgot to mention that when I wrote my directions for building this. (Wouldn't have mattered. Directions are for wimps anyway.) lol

    I like the bed riser idea as well, but I was looking for something taller.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

  17. #67

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Im totally impressed~! Concerning the buckets; Are they the 5 gallon plastic style buckets you get at hardware stores for pouring your paint into? And how many buckets did you end up using?
    WW, Check out post #25 on page 1 of this thread for a full list of materials and directions (optional, of course). Thanks for the inquiry.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

  18. #68

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    I might have to build one of those for my studio instead of a permanent setup---that way I could use it for gigs as well when and if I ever get a working band together! Great design!!!!!

  19. #69

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    One day I'm gonna build a tall one with a water slide right out into the crowd.

  20. #70

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    I'm thinking about this, but I think 5gal buckets are going to be too tall, I want a riser that's about 8-12" tall. 12" would really be about as tall as I want. Lowe's has 1 gallon buckets that might do the job, too.

    I had another idea, maybe you guys who have built these before can tell me if it's a bad idea. I was thinking about two 6x3 pieces of 1in thick plywood, and lifting them up with a bunch of these:



    These are $3.50 table legs from Ikea, I figure I could cut them down to between 8" or 12", and use six on each piece of plywood. Think this would be solid enough?
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

  21. #71

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by cg2112 View Post
    I'm thinking about this, but I think 5gal buckets are going to be too tall, I want a riser that's about 8-12" tall. 12" would really be about as tall as I want. Lowe's has 1 gallon buckets that might do the job, too.

    I had another idea, maybe you guys who have built these before can tell me if it's a bad idea. I was thinking about two 6x3 pieces of 1in thick plywood, and lifting them up with a bunch of these:



    These are $3.50 table legs from Ikea, I figure I could cut them down to between 8" or 12", and use six on each piece of plywood. Think this would be solid enough?
    Nope

  22. #72

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    One day I'm gonna build a tall one with a water slide right out into the crowd.
    Ha-ha! Ray you're getting a lot of mileage out of that monster in despair. Funny!
    - Tom

    Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

    Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

    Or make a donation here.



    I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

    On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!


  23. #73

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by cg2112 View Post
    I'm thinking about this, but I think 5gal buckets are going to be too tall, I want a riser that's about 8-12" tall. 12" would really be about as tall as I want. Lowe's has 1 gallon buckets that might do the job, too.

    I had another idea, maybe you guys who have built these before can tell me if it's a bad idea. I was thinking about two 6x3 pieces of 1in thick plywood, and lifting them up with a bunch of these:



    These are $3.50 table legs from Ikea, I figure I could cut them down to between 8" or 12", and use six on each piece of plywood. Think this would be solid enough?

    Yeah I looked into the buckets and think they are too tall as well, I been trying to find 8" buckets with the same strength but I don't think anyone makes em. I dont think the legs will be enough on their own plus you would have to find a way to fold em or remove and install them easy enough to make packing and unpacking worth it. You would think there would be enough of a market for someone to make a nice light, adjustable riser thats easily transportable with a quick set up and tear down. I am kind of surprised no one has jumped on it yet.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Ludwig Classic Maple (IN UTERO)

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  24. #74

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    1. I need something light to travel with, but sturdy (of course).
    2. I don't want it to take up much room. It needs to fold up and collapse easily.
    3. It needed to be able to be unloaded and set up , tore down and loaded, by one person. (I didn't want to need to rely on help).
    4. I wanted it to be expandable in height.


    I did this:

    I use "Bed Risers". $9 per 4 at Wal-Mart. (I use 24 of them = $56)

    I also have a dozen or so buckets ( like Rotarded did) if I want it taller, I got them free of of craigslist.. The key is they stack inside of each other and don't take up a lot of space when traveling. The buckets however, take a bit more space, and can be a pain to get apart.



    Two pieces of cheap chip board @ $13 a piece. I cut them so they are 7 feet long.

    I drape it, then put my rug on it. Black drape is a bed sheet from Goodwill = $2, the rug is an old one we had in in the house.




    Set the kit on it.



    It takes about 3 minutes to set up, and less than a minute to tear down and pack away. The wood slides into the side of the band trailer, and the bed post risers stack together and go inside a large case.


    I spent less than $100.
    If the buckets or two high for ya Eddie's on top of it!

  25. #75

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

    I went over to Lowe's today and found 2 gallon buckets for $4/ea, and the lids for $2/ea. Figuring 6 buckets per each 3x6 half, then two 4x8 sheets of plywood (to cut into two 3x6 sections) for $25/sheet. Adding in carpet, some kind of velcro/draping to go around the base, I should be able to build the thing pretty solidly for less than $200.

    The bed riser idea is pretty cool, but I'd be worried that there would be some shifting around, since they aren't fastened to the plywood.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •