Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Drum Riser on the Cheap

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Riser on the Cheap

My smaller riser really doesn't add much time to the setup and breakdown. It's well worth it in terms of the look of the stage. I also realized another potential use for it. Some of the venues we play have small stages, and with its versatility in the number of ways it can be configured, the riser can make a great stage extender.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

That's cool. For me it would just be too much trouble.

User Info Menu

June 2017. I built this riser at 8X8. The total cost was just under $300. Even built a small dolly to move it with! I will post photos once I figure out how!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, Tat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tat2Sailor View Post
    June 2017. I built this riser at 8X8. The total cost was just under $300. Even built a small dolly to move it with! I will post photos once I figure out how!
    Sign up at any photo hosting site, (most are free-ie Flickr, Imgur, and several others) upload your photos there, then use the programs linking function to copy the photo url into your post and BAM, instant pics.

If you have any difficulty, please let me know.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

For those interested, I adapted the materials list and build instructions from the original to reflect the modifications I made for my 5'x6' riser:

Materials List

2 - 5/8” 4x8 sheets Plywood (I used 5\8”)
    6 - 2x2 8’ SPF Lumber
    16 - 3.5 gallon Pails w/Lids (I ordered them from Home Depot)
    64 - #8 x ¾” Pan Head screws (sold in boxes of 100)
    64 - 1/8” x 1” Fender washers (sold in boxes of 100)
    1 - # 1 5/8” Drywall screws
    2 Quarts of Indoor/Outdoor carpet adhesive
    2 - 6’ x 8’ Indoor/outdoor carpet pieces
    6 - Irwin Quick-Grip clamps(the 6 inch size)
    1 - 1 foot high by 16 foot long vinyl banner with grommets, solid black(or printed with band logo)
    Velcro cable ties
    1 - 1/8” v-notched adhesive spreader (plastic, disposable)
    1 box of ½” Arrow Brand staples (buy for your brand of stapler)

Instructions:
    Step 1: Crosscut the two sheets so that you end up with 4 pieces of plywood that are 2.5’ x 3’ in size. Mark all factory edges with a marker or pencil. Set up your pails, and place all the plywood on top taking care to put all factory edges against each other. When this is done all the previously cut edges will be to the sides of your riser. Doing this step now will ensure your riser goes together seamlessly and makes it easier to line things up.

Step 2: Cut the 2x2s to length so that they frame each piece of plywood. Use the drywall screws to affix the plywood to the 2x2s. DO NOT ALLOW ANY PART OF THE LUMBER TO STICK OUT PAST THE FACTORY EDGES OF THE PLYWOOD. This step will again make life easier later on.

Step 3: Attach the lids inside the area made by applying the lumber reinforcements. Use a screw with a fender washer to attach them. Now snap the buckets onto the lids and flip the whole works over. Do the same for the other three pieces. This will give you the four sections.

Step 4: Lay your carpet piece on top of each of the 4 sections and trim it, allowing enough carpet to wrap completely around the 2X2s framing the section. Remove carpet. Apply adhesive with your 1/8” v-notched spreader to the entire surface of the plywood, but don’t glue the sides. Be thorough and neat. This stuff takes a full day to cure, so you have plenty of time to do the job right. Lay the carpet on top and press it down into the glue. Do this to both sections. Allow the glue to dry.

Step 6: (Day 2) As tightly as possible, wrap the carpet around the 2x2s on all 4 sides of each section and staple securely on the underside. At the corners, fold it over as neatly as possible and use plenty of staples to hold it down. Trim away any excess with a sharp razor blade.
    Step 7. Now you have 4 carpeted sections. Seat the buckets on 2 of the sections and line them up edge to edge. Take 2 clamps and clamp them together as tightly as possible. Repeat for the other 2 sections. Now set both halves of the riser on the ground and line them up. Clamp the 2 sections together with the remaining 2 clamps.

Step 7: Loop a Velcro tie through each of the grommets on top of the vinyl banner. Line up one end of the banner with the back corner of the riser. Stick the Velcro to the carpet and move along the banner pulling it tight and sticking the Velcro.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

^Thank you very much!!

User Info Menu

Let us know how it works out if you decide to build one!

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Personally I am opposed to drum risers. as they tend to be dangerous for the drummer. I generally oppose their use if I have that option. That said, I have used many drum risers in the past and all of them tend to move around, usually because they are not flat and are constructed out of materials which do not lock together and sit flat and level. The construction of any drum riser needs to have the ability to level out the riser, and securely lock the riser together (with bolts and lock washers). Drums produce a lot of vibration when being played which tends to loosen unsecured fasteners and mooring points. Further risers are one more thing the drummer must setup before and after playing a gig (big pain in the butt). They require a drummer to move from a car to go to a gig to a van or pickup truck in order to haul the riser around.

Where this might be an ingenious approach to risers.... (and it is).... Risers in general can be a night mare. If one has the desire of a riser, then construct one which sits on 4, 6 or 8 inch timbers, turned on their edge, with rubber coated bottom edges, without legs. Risers can cause all types of sound headaches with the PA system, as they tend to transfer drum resonance to the stage surface and into the microphone stands (think vibrating foot ball toys of the 1960s)

User Info Menu

Drum risers = More heavy crap for the drummer to carry with him/hear and more vibration for the sound folks to deal with.... the older one gets the heaver these risers are to lug around

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kzac View Post
    Drum risers = More heavy crap for the drummer to carry with him/hear and more vibration for the sound folks to deal with.... the older one gets the heaver these risers are to lug around
    In all the time I've used the risers, I've never once had a problem with vibration, and I always felt completely stable while playing on it. The smaller one fits easily in my car along with all my gear. I haven't been using it recently only because I've been playing in venues with a house kit already in place.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones: