Thread: cymbals on my electric set

User Info Menu

Default cymbals on my electric set

I got a roland electric set a couple months ago. The cymbals just dont seem right in the way they sound. They are either too loud or too quiet, and when I hit them, the sound i want doesnt always come out the way I want. Sometimes you hit the cymbal and no sound comes out. Im not sure, but it seems a little funky to me. Any Ideas?

User Info Menu

get an acoustic set

User Info Menu

whoa michigan thats a little out there, he just needs new cymbals- what you need to do is go to your local drum store, tell them your problem they should listen to you, and then buy an acoustic set

User Info Menu

LOL!! You guys are harsh!! Feeling you oats on your birthday, huh MI?

Hang in there Morgan82. There are other people in here that have electronic kits. I sure you'll get some go advice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

lol..i was just kidding..i dont know anything about electronic kits. I would only ever buy one if there were noise restrictions where i lived.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Feeling you oats on your birthday, huh MI?
    lol..i have no clue what that means PB

User Info Menu

Sorry, it's actually an old west expression. When you feed oats to a horse it gives them extra energy, and they get rather "spirited." So when someone is excited, pumped up, or just being a bit on the wild side, you can say they are "feeling their oats!"
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

morgan, are you talking electronic cymbals? or some brass to go with your ekit (copyright El Presidente 2007). Which by the way one of the coolest bands around right now, VHS or Beta, plays on an ekit with brass cymbals. So don't discount it hater.

If you're looking for the brass, I might suggest small thinner, faster cymbals. As you have to control the volume of the kit with knobs it will definitly help to not drown out the kit like larger louder cymbals. Also cymbals without a whole lot of sustain, will help match the tone you get out of an ekit. i.e. toms are not as resonant as they are processed sounds. Cymbals that have alot of sustain might not "sit" very well with the rest of the kit. If you know what I mean.

User Info Menu

ya total joke- id say take the computer part or whatever in i bet they can make a different noise or something on their, but then i again i know absolutely nothing about electric drums

User Info Menu

electronic drums is da devil lol
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

but seriously...she said there's no sound coming out...so I assume she's talking about the electric cymbals...I don't think it's the actual sound itself...are you sure everything is hooked up right and all your cords are in all the way? cause if so then something must be wrong with one of the input thingys (technical term...lol)
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I own a yamaha DTexpressIII and on my crash there is a certian spot that is used when u want to mute it + on the computer part u can change the sound

I hope that helps
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

Hey Morgan82, welcome to Drumchat!

What Roland module do you have? If you have a TD-3, TD-5, TD-7, or TD-8 model, your pretty much stuck with the sound. If you have a TD-10, you can buy an expansion card for it that was made specifically for cymbal sounds. The TD-12 or TD-20 modules, they already have the expanded cymbal enhancement so you don't have to add a card.

I had a TD-8 kit and the cymbal sound is the exact reason why I sold it. The toms and kick sound amazing, but I always found the cymbals to be lacking that "shimmer" or "presence" that real cymbals have. There are quit a few players out there who use an electronic kit with real cymbals so they can get the sound they really want. Try it out. At the least, you will have a cymbal set already if you decide to get rid of the electronics and go acoustic.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

What are electronic drumsets besides computers with triggers? Nothing really, i know a few guys that get electronic drumkits and put real accoustic cymbals on, have you thought about that?

Other than that, take it to geeksquad, theyll find out, theyve heard of everything, even a gravity ray to pull asteroids from outerspace =D

User Info Menu

Cool cymbals on my electric set

Welcome aboard, Morgan82!

That's the reason I've never been terribly crazy about electronic drums--even the best ones don't have the sound quality of an acoustic kit. There's only so much an electronic kit can do...

Having said that, I second 1DrumBum...find someone who's familiar with Roland and if you can add an expansion card, do it.

If that doesn't work, go with his suggestion about the cymbals.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

clean the connector my td3 does it every once in a while.

User Info Menu

Call roland directly, they have techs who can help you. Good luck.

User Info Menu

No one has mentioned it yet, so I will... you may have a defect in the brain itself, or possibly a bad trigger, try switching it around a little bit, use the trigger on another input on the brain, and try other triggers in the input for the cymbal that you're having problems with. You may have to upgrade brains, or buy a new trigger.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

You dont have any pets that could have chewed the wire slightly with out you knowing. My dog did that once and i had to get a new wire.
    Also if you play them through head-phones try getting a new pair because my head phones before made a horrible sound so i changed to a better pair and now they sound great.