Thread: New Sonor Select Force Kit! Piano Black!

User Info Menu

Default New Sonor Select Force Kit! Piano Black!

Hey folks! I just picked up my new Sonor Select Force kit from Guitar Center! Wow! Those guys really know how to pack a drum set. More cardboard than my recycling container can handle!

Anyway, everything seems to be included and there doesn't seem to be any missing parts. I went ahead and ordered cases for the bass, snare, and floor tom ahead of time, but waited to check if the toms could fit into cases made for their specific size. Well, here's something to remember, folks....one needs to order one size bigger(1 inch) according to the diameter of the drum across it's drumhead. The tom mount is just too big to allow for a normal fitting.

I plan on installing Evans EC2's(batter) and G1's(resos) on the toms, EC2 Snare head with Evans snare side, and Aquarian Super Kick II for bass.

The hardware(400 series) is TOP NOTCH! The cymbal stands now feature disappearing booms! Nice touch, Sonor. Everything is double-braced and rock solid. The snare stand's features are nice. Wasn't expecting that.

On the negative side, the drum hoops(triple flanged) seem to be of a lesser quality. They are thin and sharp underneath where they meet the drumhead hoop. I may have to order some other hoops from another hardware company unfortunately.

Well, that's the first impression. Hope this quick summary helps. Take it easy, folks.
    (1) Pearl SSC Session Classic Birch 10-12-14-16-22
    Piano Black
    (2) Gretsch Cat. Cl. Jazz Mahogany-10-12-14-18-5
    Walnut Glaze
    (3) Sonor Select Force Maple-10-12-14-20-5.5
    Piano Black
    "Let's Hit It!"-Jeff Porcaro

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Sonor Select Force Kit! Piano Black!

Quote Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
    Hey folks! I just picked up my new Sonor Select Force kit from Guitar Center! Wow! Those guys really know how to pack a drum set. More cardboard than my recycling container can handle!

Anyway, everything seems to be included and there doesn't seem to be any missing parts. I went ahead and ordered cases for the bass, snare, and floor tom ahead of time, but waited to check if the toms could fit into cases made for their specific size. Well, here's something to remember, folks....one needs to order one size bigger(1 inch) according to the diameter of the drum across it's drumhead. The tom mount is just too big to allow for a normal fitting.

I plan on installing Evans EC2's(batter) and G1's(resos) on the toms, EC2 Snare head with Evans snare side, and Aquarian Super Kick II for bass.

The hardware(400 series) is TOP NOTCH! The cymbal stands now feature disappearing booms! Nice touch, Sonor. Everything is double-braced and rock solid. The snare stand's features are nice. Wasn't expecting that.

On the negative side, the drum hoops(triple flanged) seem to be of a lesser quality. They are thin and sharp underneath where they meet the drumhead hoop. I may have to order some other hoops from another hardware company unfortunately.

Well, that's the first impression. Hope this quick summary helps. Take it easy, folks.
    The sizes of the drums are:

20 X 17.5" Bass Drum
    14 X 14" Floor Tom
    12 X 9" Tom
    10 X 8" Tom
    5.5 X 14" Snare Drum
    (1) Pearl SSC Session Classic Birch 10-12-14-16-22
    Piano Black
    (2) Gretsch Cat. Cl. Jazz Mahogany-10-12-14-18-5
    Walnut Glaze
    (3) Sonor Select Force Maple-10-12-14-20-5.5
    Piano Black
    "Let's Hit It!"-Jeff Porcaro

User Info Menu

Nice! Looking forward to pics if your able to post some. I've got a kit with identical sizes sans .5" on the kick depth.

User Info Menu

I don't believe you have a new kit. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I don't believe you have a new kit. Just sayin'.
    Yes. I'm sorry to say but your new kit doesn't exist yet.

User Info Menu

Post pics or it didn't happen that is the moto around here but I believe you. Congrats the kit sounds awsome from your description.

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with Sonor. I have played Sonor's for over three decades with great results live and in studio.
    I would like the visual confirmation of your kit's existence same as the others, though.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Awesome!!

PICS!!

Gotta Love Sonor!
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Nice! Looking forward to pics if your able to post some. I've got a kit with identical sizes sans .5" on the kick depth.
    You have a kick with 17" depth?

User Info Menu

sounds great , but !!!!!!!! pics or it didnt happen .....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Well, here's something to remember, folks....one needs to order one size bigger(1 inch) according to the diameter of the drum across it's drumhead. The tom mount is just too big to allow for a normal fitting.

Good point, you are exactly right. Another detail I found was DW and G... were larger than Pearl and TAMA. I could easily fit my TAMA and Pearl toms in the cases where the DW and Gs are just a hair too large and they fit into the cases very snuggley but will fit. That's what I'm currently using.

I'm not surprised about sharp edges. One of my TAMA Silverstars kits had that problem, too. But, with the thinner rims you will be pleasantly surprised by the sustain and almost note like quality as the drums breathe and sing. Enjoy them babies!!

User Info Menu

Hum… My Sonor’s fit just fine in the XL Specialty Cases. Didn’t have to size up. What cases do you have?
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums