Thread: ARGH! Rudiments!

User Info Menu

Default ARGH! Rudiments!

I've seen all these people on youtube doing rudiments super fast...but when I try to speed up my rudiments, or even do them with double strokes, I start to mess up pretty badly...

Am I doing something wrong? How can I really get my rudiments up to speed?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

only real way is practice man..i have that problem as well

User Info Menu

okay, for doubles theres no remidy, if your hitting 2 hits on your left hand and then 2 hits with your right hand then your doing it right. now you just have to pratice and you get faster and faster with time, garenteed (dont no how to spell) and if you see people doing super smok'n fast doubles then there bouncing there sticks, so you have to confortable doing the transition from doubles to bouncing your doubles, it takes time. Try to get your double strokes up to 140 bpm (16th notes) and then start to bounce.

User Info Menu

sorry bad spelling, "you have to get comfortable with transition from double strokes without bouncing and then double strokes while bouncing."

User Info Menu

start slow and concentrate on building muscle memory of the pattern. get it smooth first then speed up. Those guys playing at high speeds couldnt play that fast when they first started.

User Info Menu

yeah, well right now i totally suck at going fast with my wrists, iv been doing singles for about 3 months now to improve my wrists (its apart of my rudiment exercises) and iv actually gotten about 40 bpm faster, but its talking longer and longer each time i get faster this is kinda a nerdy way of explaining it. but drumming is like an RPG game, the higher you train a certin skill, the harder it is to improve.

User Info Menu

HAHA. A very very nerdy way of saying it, but very very true!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    HAHA. A very very nerdy way of saying it, but very very true!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I guess I'll get a private teacher some time over the summer to help me with my playing, so I'll ask him if he can help too.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

my teacher answered all my questions. and plus i was still using drum chat. im so fortunite I have all these sources to fall back on. i feel bad for all you old time drummers out there! we have alot more help now a days.

User Info Menu

I get frustrated a lot when doing rudiments, but try to only go as fast as I can while doing it correctly. The speed will come. Don't push youself past the speed where you can play correctly, it will mess up your technique and slow your learning. I don't know who in the heck that YouTube Mr. Perfect Lightning Fast Alien Robot Rudiments Dude is but I am either gonna shake his hand or kick his butt when I find him....

User Info Menu

but if you look at those lighting fast people, they've probably done it all there lives
    and if you look at your own progress, you kinda think well in 30 years.. ill probably be just like that guy esaily or better

User Info Menu

practice them alot, with starting on both hands, and stay relaxed
    DRUMMERBOCK