Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing troubles! Please Read!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hearing troubles! Please Read!

Thanks guys! i bought some disposable HEARO's for now. In the future i will buy decent reusable ones. Helped so much, thanks again all!
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I am deaf as a doorknob because of loud music/playing :/ dont learn the hard way

User Info Menu

new smaller size

anyone partake yet?

User Info Menu

Guys, if you don't protect your hearing when you start playing drums, or at least protect the hearing that you have left....

your hearing will go from this....

into this

then to this

and then dwindle into this

and finally sound like this .. .... ... ... < (words too small to see in the distance)

in amongst a lot of hiiiiiiiisssssssssssssss!!!!!!!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

If one gets hearing aids, does it increase the volume of the tinnitus ringing as well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    If one gets hearing aids, does it increase the volume of the tinnitus ringing as well?
    I don't know for certain, but I would tend to think not. Hearing aids amplify and clarify sounds that are external to the ear and tinnitus is a condition that is occurring in the inner ear.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Funk and I were just talking about this in shout. Younger guys, definitely take this ear protection seriously. The ringing in my hears is loud and constant. How I wish I could go back and do it over again.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hearing troubles! Please Read!

I used to wonder why one of my former radio colleagues had to

TURN THE MONITORS UP TO BLASTING WHEN HE WAS ON THE AIR...

and, after more than 30 years in radio and playing drums for over 25 years, now I know. Please, if you do nothing else, get some quality ear plugs and USE THEM!
    Last edited by bongobro; 05-09-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

We sure are passionate on this topic......please listen to us older people you youngins.....its something you don't want to experience!

User Info Menu

I wear hearing aids and the ringing does go away until I take them out. Drums do not sound the same with hearing aids cause you are not getting the real sound of the accoustic world if you know what I mean. The good side of the hearing aids is that the drums sound real good when wearing headphones ( not the ones that you hear music from). Like everyone says wear protection or you will go deaf. I wonder how many big name drummers that are deaf out there. When you see them get interviewed they do not seem to ask the interviewer to repeat himself or show any sign that they don't hear them by answering yes when they should say no etc. Anyway ears are the musicians biggest asset so protect them.

User Info Menu

This became a hot topic. Atleast I hope some other people are reading it to learn. I use earplugs now, and the music sounds much cleaner when rehearsing. No overtones, sounds almost like recording quality. I actually like it better. -33db im using, very dampened. Thanks guys!
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I still say, when practising drums, learn to control your volume. It takes discipline. Wearing ear protection shouldn't give you license to make everyone else around you deaf!!
    I'm finding lots of drummers now getting with other musicians and having no clue just how loud they are. We've chosen instruments that can be very loud. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to get the message across!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Anyone have any experience with Alpine's earplugs? I'm looking at upgrading from the typical Hearo's style plugs, and am intrigued with the kinds that have different filters for different levels of attenuation.

This stuff is no joke. I'm only 34 and have issues from my "invincible" youth.

User Info Menu

I must ask. If i practice by listening to music through my ipod and have to turn up my music loud to hear it over my drums will my hearing still get messed up. and if this is the case how do i practice to my music without messing up my hearing.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    I must ask. If i practice by listening to music through my ipod and have to turn up my music loud to hear it over my drums will my hearing still get messed up. and if this is the case how do i practice to my music without messing up my hearing.
    Oh, yeah! Do not crank up the iPod vol. and go ahead and put the noise canceling headphones over the iPod buds. Too loud is too loud anyway you hear it. Or run/Jack the iPod into a stereo and use noise cancellation plugs, etc.

User Info Menu

Has anybody said anything yet?

User Info Menu

As Slinger said, this will do damage as well. What works for me are earplugs (usual foam kind) and then Bose Triports or similar over the ear style headphones. Finding the right headphone and earplug combo can be tricky though, as alot of the headphones I tried made my drums sound very harsh even with earplugs. It wasn't pleasant. Vic Firth also makes a noise cancelling over the ear headphone that is supposedly good, but I still feel you'll end up cranking the music and doing damage.

User Info Menu

Yes. Any loud noise damages your ears. High's and low's, music or monster trucks, makes no difference. Especially if you have ear buds directly in your ears. Ear buds + noise cancelling headphones would be good. Or eliminate the buds and get a good pair of noise cancelling musical headphones like Vic Firth's, or a pair of Sennheisers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Has anybody said anything yet?
    How is your hearing Rick after 50 years of playing them as a career. Does your wife yell at you all the time cause you can't hear her or just selective hearing like me when it comes to the wife. LOL

User Info Menu

What? Use all caps, I can't hear you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    How is your hearing Rick after 50 years of playing them as a career. Does your wife yell at you all the time cause you can't hear her or just selective hearing like me when it comes to the wife. LOL
    I get accused of being deaf, but my hearing is actually still pretty good. I think men recieve on different frequencies than wives transmit on a lot of the time. Defense mechanism I guess.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Dude! You SO hit home with this!
    I AM a 46 yo guy that has played since I was 8. I don't live with my mom though I do have a 15 yo son that plays.
    Anyways.... I have nerve deafness, I've lost about 60% of my hearing & I'm a total donkey for taking better care of my ears. I own & run my own business and I cannot tell you the importance of hearing the details! Unless you want to have hearing aids, protect yourself!

Dave
    Last edited by dblKick; 06-06-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    Thank you guys, a lot. The ringing and muffled-ness is going away slighlty more and more. I will for SURE buy earplugs. I just always thought that with earplugs or headphones it would mess with my ability to hear the music, wouldnt it?
    Not having hearing protection will mess with your ability to hear the music and everything else in life you use your ears for.

Doesn't matter what the noise is. If it's loud enough it will cause damage to your hearing. I use and love the Shure SE425 sound isolating in-ear monitors. They block up to 37 db of noise so you can have music or the mix at a low level yet still hear the ambient noise of the drums or the band if you wish. Spend the money on GOOD in-ears or GOOD ear phones. $300.00 to $500.00 is not hard to come up with and well worth saving your hearing.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG