Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing troubles! Please Read!

User Info Menu

Default Hearing troubles! Please Read!

Okay guys, im a little on edge here. Last night I had band practice with my band and we usually play in my guitarists house in a decently small room.
    I was using a crash that I dont normally use, its an 18" Sabian xs20 Med. Crash. IT IS POWERFUL! inredibly explosive.
    Now, the issue is... We ended playing at about 9pm and I had a low ringing in my ear (which isn't that bad, it happens.. small room, loud sounds.) However, it is now the next day at 6:30am, and my hearing is still SLIGHTLY muffled (i can still hear, it just is .. distorted, for lack of a better word) and i hear the feignt ringing.
    My mother (and before you ask, no I'm not some 45yr old man living with my mother, im 18 lol) said that "there has been times where [she] has been to loud concerts and [her] ears rang for a few days"
    Is this possible? Anyone experience this? ... i need to start using headphones when i play.....
    Thanks guys
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hearing troubles! Please Read!

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    ... i need to start using headphones when i play.....
    You just answered your own question. If you don't wear ear protection, damage will occur. The muffledness and ringing should go away with a little time, but if you repeatedly practice without ear protection, it'll become permanent.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Start using some darn ear protection when you play!!!!

User Info Menu

I can't express enough how badly you need to start using hearing protection when you play. At age 18, you have way too much life ahead of you to damage your ears permanently. I took measures to keep my hearing intact by coming up with a couple of different solutions to keep my ears protected while playing drums - the easiest and cheapest are earplugs, but I also built an in-ears monitor rig that's pretty versatile and that I use a lot.

I first experienced what you are experiencing when I was 17 after going to a really loud concert (Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine - Let it Loose tour) where I was standing right in front of the stack. the muffled fuzziness went away after a couple of days, but I vowed to never do that again. My Dad was a lifelong firearms enthusiast who rarely used hearing protection, and he lost quite a bit of his hearing by the end of his life. I don't want to be in that same boat.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Thank you guys, a lot. The ringing and muffled-ness is going away slighlty more and more. I will for SURE buy earplugs. I just always thought that with earplugs or headphones it would mess with my ability to hear the music, wouldnt it?
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Now I just have to find a place to get some good earplugs lol..
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Thank you guys, a lot. The ringing and muffled-ness is going away slighlty more and more. I will for SURE buy earplugs. I just always thought that with earplugs or headphones it would mess with my ability to hear the music, wouldnt it?
    Get some decent quality earplugs (like ER-20's) and you should be able to hear the music fine, assuming everyone is playing at the same level as you are, lol.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Yeah, I just called up Walgreens, they said they have a few kinds in stock. Whats a good Decible drop # to get? Music is decently loud (since its a small space with stack amps and my loud kit xD)
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Rubber ear plugs for swimming at your local drug store, for sports at local sporting goods store($5.00/pr), 'phone style at any hardware store(mowing, tree trimming, etc.$20). Skip the foam, disposable plugs that come in packs of a dz. Pr-problematic. These all work and you can usually hear the other instruments too.
    Last edited by slinglander; 05-04-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Some ear plugs, yes. I have found that my Shure SE115 in-ears buds (roughly $50, but I think they are discontinued) work really well as ear-plugs, even when they aren't plugged into an external sound source. That's what I've been using lately and they more than get the job done. I prefer in-ears to over-the-ear heaphones and hearing protectors, but the Vic Firth headphones and hearing protectors generally get pretty good reviews.

When I can, I like to use various pieces of my in-ears rig, even if I'm not using the whole thing. The main piece that gets the work done is the ART HeadTap. This piece is designed to take a speaker level signal (think floor monitors powered from a power amp) and turn it into a line-level/headphone level signal. Sometimes I'll snag just that piece off of my board and take it with me, and I take the feed going to the wedge monitor, plug it in, (even speakon cable - I have a speakon to 1/4" adapter) plug in my in-ears, and I'm ready to go. The only thing you have there is volume control, but it's better than blasting a wedge loud enough to be heard over the volume of my drums.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Speaking from experience.....I wish I would have worn hearing protection over the years.....once it's gone, it's gone.

Any hearing protection...from $1 foam plugs to expensive headphones will work...but use something....you'll be glad you did

User Info Menu

Welcome to my world...sounds like a gas leak in my head, constant, never ending racket....another source of impending deafness from lack of protection is the pa system, with a monitor aimed at you...and along those same lines is during set up of the pa, with those horrible moments of crazy feedback.....so i wear earplugs during setup too...if only.....somebody answer the phone!

User Info Menu

Frazzetto, I use noise reduction in-ear headphones with a headphone amp that accomodates 4 sets of headphones (about $65). I put all members of the band on the system. They bring their own in-ears headphones and it lets us all hear the vocals clearly while cutting the overall sound intensity impacting our ears. The really nice part is that each band member can set their own volume. Now I never leave a practice with any ringing in my ears.

Whatever you do, make sure you protect your ears. You only get the one pair for the rest of your life.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

the ears are a terrible thing to waste....

wear protection
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

What did you say?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    What did you say?
    I think he said corn is very sweet this year.

My buzzing sounds like chirpy birds, and early Summer mornings, sleeping with the windows open, I can't tell between birds and buzz... sort of cool then, but not so much when you sit at a lecture and can't make much of it...
    - poodlesdrum
    Could someone get this George Orwell fellow on the phone, please...!

User Info Menu

My ringing is like a high pitched static. Start wearing protection before it's too late.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I don't like those cheap foam plugs because they will just muffle the highs and lows and produce an overall muddled effect. Go with Heros High Fidelity plugs. They are designed to allow you to still hear the highs and lows while still protecting your ears from the damaging highs and lows. They cost around $18.00 but are well worth it.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Earplugs will muffle the sound of your kit a bit. That bugged me so I spent $100.00 on a Yamaha mixer, another $100.00 on two boom mic stands with two overhead condenser mic's, and another $75.00 on a set of Sony Studio Monitor headphones. Yes it's a bit of cash to spend but now I control how loud my kit is in my ears, plus I can add EQ to it. It's surprising how good the kit sounds with just the two overhead mic's. If you play a regular sized kit one mic is all you need.

User Info Menu

Just a regular pair of around ear headphones will work. I've used them and they cut down the noise enough for me to hear myself and other guitar players running tube amps on a pretty high volume. Close proximity too!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yea, it is nebulous. you won't really notice it until later in life but your high freq range will suffer/ be lost first (More sensitive to the mechanical injury occurring in the hypotympanum which is deep to the ossicles of the middle ear). I see folks everyday with hearing loss (usually older) and most of the time it is preventable. Every one above gives very good advice about protecting you ears.

User Info Menu

What you're experiencing is called auditory fatigue. Essentially, your ears are telling you enough is enough, and if you don't start protecting me, I'll quit working properly. I'm almost 50, play in a fairly loud rock band, but wear an in-ear monitor system which I control the volume. In other settings I'll wear the noise reducing ear plugs which still allow plenty of sound, but is not damaging.

User Info Menu

As an aside, for folks that may not know, motorcycle riding wind noise creates all kinds of damaging frequencies, past 40 mph or so, even with high-end helmets...
    Wearing earplugs is highly recommended. High frequencies if I recall.
    - poodlesdrum
    Could someone get this George Orwell fellow on the phone, please...!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Yea, it is nebulous. you won't really notice it until later in life but your high freq range will suffer/ be lost first (More sensitive to the mechanical injury occurring in the hypotympanum which is deep to the ossicles of the middle ear).
    I'm only 18 yet I'm fully aware of my hearing damage. The tinnitus used to make me annoyed as all hell but I kinda just learned to live with it, lol. I also annoy people a lot by asking them to repeat themselves over and over
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I'm only 18 yet I'm fully aware of my hearing damage. The tinnitus used to make me annoyed as all hell but I kinda just learned to live with it, lol. I also annoy people a lot by asking them to repeat themselves over and over
    I am truly sorry to hear that and you should go see an ENT physician to make sure this is the only reason as the differential diagnosis for tinnitus and hearing loss is rather long ranging from mechanical injury ( as we have discussed here) to tumors arising from the 7th/8th nerve complex such as an acoustic neuroma to vascular anomalies. involving the skull base at the petrus bone.