Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Accents.....

User Info Menu

Default Question About Accents.....

How do you practice accents? Any special way or do you just pick out a combination of R's and L's and accent what you want or what?????? I don't do enough accents when I play (that's probably why my teacher says I sound like a robot LOL)..... Just need some advice from my peeps

User Info Menu

A good way to practice rudiments is the plain old Paradiddle. the sticking of a Paradidle is "rlrr lrll" but it should be played "Rlrr Lrll" you see what i mean?

User Info Menu

But how do you actually play accents? Is there a specific way or do you just hit the accented note harder? What I'm asking, I guess, is there any special way to play accents?

User Info Menu

Yeah. An accented note is just a note thats harder than the other notes. Simple!

User Info Menu

wipeout a pefecr example, hes just hitting the snare over and over and over again, but it sounds cool because .... guess?? ACCENTS!! ok a little drimatic but you see what i mean, take a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxP8TwIVQE

User Info Menu

One way to accent your hits on a snare or any other drum is a rimshot.
    This is when you hit both the skin and the rim at the same time, leading to the sound vibrating throughout the entire drum.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

an accent is just hitting a little harder then your normal stroke. Nothing fancy.

User Info Menu

I know a couple of pretty good exercises regarding accents. A good one to start with and I think this is what the first one I learned is accenting each note of the sixteenth note in a pattern kinda.... I'll try and write it out.

Bold= accent

1 e and ah 2 e and ah 3 e and ah 4 e and ah

Then play the same thing but in 2/4 instead of 4/4 ( so you'll be hitting each separate accent 2 times instead of 4) then go into 1/4 ( each accents gets played once). Play all that continuously. You can also do this same thing with triplets.

Hope this all makes sense . Anyways a good tip to remember when playing accents is you want all the other notes to be a lot quieter so the accent is more distinguished.
    Last edited by Eons; 07-17-2007 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Good exercise Eons, I play that alot on both hands and feet. Joel Rothmans book of Basic Drumming has plenty of exercises with accents that are extremely useful

User Info Menu

Thanks guys as always!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    How do you practice accents? Any special way or do you just pick out a combination of R's and L's and accent what you want or what?????? I don't do enough accents when I play (that's probably why my teacher says I sound like a robot LOL)..... Just need some advice from my peeps
    DC, when I play, I try to use a German accent in the first measure, with a good southern accent in the second and third!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    DC, when I play, I try to use a German accent in the first measure, with a good southern accent in the second and third!!!
    I will have to try the German accent, but I prefer the Jersey accent, it works best for me

User Info Menu

Be daring and unafraid! Try a little Southern Cal surfer accent, too, dudette!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Now you're talkin'!

User Info Menu

how do you accent the foot pedal?

User Info Menu

you accent the foot pedal by applying the same exercise that Eons gave to your feet...if you got a double kick or if you got one pedal than you can still do the same on one foot accenting the same notes and dont forget your left foot!

User Info Menu

I have a related question, when you do accents do you raise the stick higher prior to the accented stroke, or do you try to keep them the same height and just put more strength (for lack of a better term) behind it? What is the proper way to do it?

User Info Menu

just a little side note, i find it hard to do ghost notes on the bass pedal...

User Info Menu

For time keeping purposes, it's easier to do by keeping your sticks the same height. Even if you raise them higher, you still have to swing harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    just a little side note, i find it hard to do ghost notes on the bass pedal...
    Just play it softer. Ghost notes on the bass drum aren't so much gost notes because you hit them softly; they're ghost notes because in comparison they're quieter.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    For time keeping purposes, it's easier to do by keeping your sticks the same height. Even if you raise them higher, you still have to swing harder.
    Thanks El!! I had heard that you should keep them the same height, but I wasn't sure why, and if I was getting the right info, that clears it up.

User Info Menu

Another thing DC: If you practice with unnaccented notes extremely soft and accented notes extremely hard, you'll get to more dynamic control faster in your overall playing.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your advice :-)

User Info Menu

I don't know what accents are....

User Info Menu

Roxy, accented notes are just striking a drum or cymbal a little harder on one stroke vs. another.