Thread: Soooo this year...

User Info Menu

Default Soooo this year...

Many of you may remember that last year myself and ballywalterbeats decided to play drums for a full 12 hours together at the same time..well this year we decided to go one better!

On the 10th to the 11th of April we did a 24 hour drumathon! both of us played for the full 24 hours!

what struck me most is the generosity of drummers and drum companies! We got so many sticks and goodies and tshirts sent to us from Vic Firth and Pro-Mark/Evans.

the drumathon was amazing and we raised over 1000 pounds!
    Here is a picture, i am on the right, ballywalterbeats is on the left. This was taken after about 18 hours non stop playing!

'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Default Re: Soooo this year...

Wow you don't seem a tore-up as I would have been. Oh, who am I kidding, I would have never made it to 18 hours. Nice Rock Tour BTW.

User Info Menu

we started at 12noon, so see by the time 5am-7am came around...we were sooo dead, but just kept plowing on through!

Thanks, love my kit
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Man I have a hard time making it past like 40 minutes. Nice job.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Soooo this year...

WOW! What a job!

Now what're ya gonna do for an encore, mates?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thinking of possibly doing 36hours next year haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulm542 View Post
    we started at 12noon, so see by the time 5am-7am came around...we were sooo dead, but just kept plowing on through!

Thanks, love my kit
    ...no bathroom breaks?

User Info Menu

YEah we went to the bathroom but i think we both only went about twice the whole time! hardly ate anything either even though loads of people gave us free food!

User Info Menu

Great effort! did you get some media attention? if so did they also inquire as to what will be next? maybe consider a last man left drumming event wins for their own charity.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

wow what a great thing for you guys to do . i cant imagine playing that long ,,, lol im good for 3- 1 hour sets , then i need a nights sleep . you should be very proud . nice going .

how were your hands and wrists, elbows the next day ?
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

That's awesome! I agree that going 24 hours is beyond my capacity, so I tip my hat to you both. Was there a charity picked out for this Drum-a-thon?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hands were completely wrecked, sprained the wrists and wrecked tendons in both arms and feet lol lower back was awful aswell!

Bob it was for three christian charities, two local charities For poverty and debt and also a international poverty charity, CAP!

User Info Menu

I hope your recovery has come along well, because it certainly was a noble cause. Maybe the number of participants in this Drum-A-Thon will grow and it won't have to go a full 24 hrs.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yikes, shame to hear about the hand pains. I hope you put them on ice soon and rest up for awhile before anymore big gigs or playing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

oh but bob, going for a full 24hours is part of the challenge :D we might leave six places for any drummers that want to take part, and then in order for a drummer to have a place they have to raise a minimum of 200£ or something

User Info Menu

That's awesome, man! I definitely wouldn't have been able to drum that long. Were you actually drumming solidly the whole time or were there times when you were just too tired and just kind of flailed around...? lol
    Matt

User Info Menu

No we played solidly, no slacking! haha played to songs and sometimes we did some soloing stuff were one of us held the groove while the other soloed

User Info Menu

Wow, wow, wow......congrats! I remember when you guys tried this a little over a year ago! Now, two bathroom breaks only?? Geez guys, don't go breaking down your bodily functions and get real ill....good luck on the 36er...

User Info Menu

I love this idea. A local friend of mine has a drum school. I'm going to see if he'd like to organize something similar for charity here.

(Since I'm an old guy with a history of strokes and heart issues, I think that I'll participate as an organizer and MC.)
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

This is cool. I wouldnt mind arranging something like that here. Is it hard to do? Arranging wise :p
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulm542 View Post
    Many of you may remember that last year myself and ballywalterbeats decided to play drums for a full 12 hours together at the same time..well this year we decided to go one better!

On the 10th to the 11th of April we did a 24 hour drumathon! both of us played for the full 24 hours!

what struck me most is the generosity of drummers and drum companies! We got so many sticks and goodies and tshirts sent to us from Vic Firth and Pro-Mark/Evans.

the drumathon was amazing and we raised over 1000 pounds!
    Here is a picture, i am on the right, ballywalterbeats is on the left. This was taken after about 18 hours non stop playing!

Hi paulm542,

wow, my hats off to you both! that is one heck of a marathon. Hope no blisters came with such fine work!
    "When in doubt, roll" ------ Bill Bruford

Now, to the drums!

User Info Menu

Well done fellas. Just seen your photo & letter in this month's Rhythm Magazine. More great publicity for you, & wider recognition of your feats too. Great stuff.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater