Thread: keeping the kick drum in place

User Info Menu

Default keeping the kick drum in place

sometimes i use bricks, but thats a little unsightly. i'm on carpet, i dont want to buy a drum matt. any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: keeping the kick drum in place

Instead of putting the bricks infront of the bass drum, you could put them towards the back of the sides, and have them tied to the spurs.

User Info Menu

Can you provide a photo of how you normally set up your bass drum? What kind of spurs does it have?

I used to have the front of my bass drum elevated a little higher than the batter side. After retracting the spurs and lowering the front of the reso, I noticed it didn't slide as much; whether or not one led to the other I can't say for sure.

The bottom of my pedal (an Axis X) came with industrial velcro. I haven't had any problems with a wandering bass drum since I've owned this pedal. Since you mention you already use carpet, why not apply extra velcro to the bottom of the pedal? It may be worth a try.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

How about a Trapstrap?

Last edited by drummer; 05-20-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: commercial

User Info Menu

I've used a rope to do the same as the "Trapstrap" with a virgin vistalite 24" kick...cheap too. Otherwise the spurs have to actually snag into the carpet weave. The cheaper the carpet, the better. Mounted toms help weigh down the kick and apply pressure to the spurs. MrB's idea of industrial velcroed pedal base works too, unless you have a Speed King with its skinny and usually warped base plate!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Can you provide a photo of how you normally set up your bass drum? What kind of spurs does it have?
    A pic would be very helpful. Do you have spurs on your kick legs? Spurs on your kick pedal? Does your kick pedal have Velcro on the bottom?
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

there is an attachment that gibraltar makes, it clips to the front rim of your bassdrum and has protruding spikes. that should fix your problem.

also silly question, are the spikes out on your spurs? and out enough that they are actually digging into the carpet? is it a hard carpet, or a soft carpet?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I haven't had the moving kick problem since the 70's. The way kicks are made today the pointed legs should be enough to keep it in place. If not most pedals also have small spurs you can screw down into your drum rug. I'd say if you have both these things working for you, and your kick is still moving forward, you may be stomping on the pedal to hard, or possibly playing the drum with a forward motion causing it to crawl forward.

In the 70's I carried a small piece of 2x4 and screwed it into the floor in front of my kick to keep it in place. I also had some wood filler in case the stage was a nice floor I could fill the two holes I had made after the gig was over.

User Info Menu

Why not attach a small piece of wood to your current rug so that your front hoops sits against it. Screw it to the carpet with some big washers under the rug so the nuts don't pull through.

User Info Menu

Whenever I played kits without virgin kicks, I would put a right angle tom mount in the kick drum mount and secure it to my rack/cage with a rack clamp making them impossible to move. See pics in my gallery of the blue and white Ddrum and the blue Vistalite.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

like Slinglander, in the old days used rope aroung legs and other end around my throne! worked fairly well, but sometimes got caught in foot! only had problem with concrete or wood stage..never had problem on carpet
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Duct tape on the heel pad of the kick drum pedal on carpet or wood floor:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I haven't had the moving kick problem since the 70's. The way kicks are made today the pointed legs should be enough to keep it in place.
    I know with me the spurs would lose their sharpness from playing so hard and so many gigs. I looked down one night because the kick kept sliding and both spurs were rounded off. Ha!

User Info Menu

Alot of great ideas above. I never realy had an issue with my bass drum sliding forward while playing. I use the sprurs on both the drum legs and bass pedal also using a plywood floor with a carpet on top so this makes easier to ancher to. The angle of the bass drum is also crucial for the spurs to work properly. I think the front hoop of my bass drums is 1/2 inch(just enough to be able to run your fingers between the floor and the hoop) and the batter hoop sitting on the pedal plate. Another thing to consider too is the weight of the toms which you would not have on a virgin kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I know with me the spurs would lose their sharpness from playing so hard and so many gigs. I looked down one night because the kick kept sliding and both spurs were rounded off. Ha!
    That happened to the spurs on my Iron Cobra slave pedal. It would slide away. I got out the dremel and sharped them.

User Info Menu

A carpet is still the best method. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a chunk of carpeting that handles the whole foot print of the set, including stool. At the front you screw or nail a piece of wood onto the carpet. Your front bass hoop abutts against it, No more creeping. Important to include the stool in the carpet area because your weight holds it all together. Simply roll up the carpet after use and stow with your gear.

all the best...

User Info Menu

if your spurs are not spiked maybe see if you can change them out for some that are. or sharpen the ones you have. use the pedal spikes or an anchor
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The other thing is that some drummers don't know that their rubber spurs have spikes inserted in them that are adjustable. They can be screwed in and out. It's on many of the kits but not all of them.

User Info Menu

i think i'll just screw a piece of wood in front of it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Duct tape on the heel pad of the kick drum pedal on carpet or wood floor:

Good idea.

I wonder if you could also get a strip(s) of velcro and run it under the pedal board and over the plate underneath. It would have a similar effect I would think.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.