Thread: Recently Bought a Roland TD4K2

User Info Menu

Default Recently Bought a Roland TD4K2

Hey Everyone,

i recently bought a Roland TD4K2 and i stumbled on some questions that bumped in my head now.

1st.
    Does my drumkit need any kind of maintenance at some period of time or every time after playing.

2nd.
    does anyone have some experience with this kit on how they like programmed it to sound awesome?

3rd.
    i cant seem to get the bass-drum pedal stuck on the bass pad every time the holding mechanism just slides off the padmount.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recently Bought a Roland TD4K2

From Roland's manual:

Maintenance:
    For everyday cleaning wipe the unit with a soft, dry cloth or one that
    has been slightly dampened with water. To remove stubborn dirt, use a
    cloth impregnated with a mild, non-abrasive detergent. Afterwards, be
    sure to wipe the unit thoroughly with a soft, dry cloth.
    As routine maintenance, you should wipe the striking surface using a
    dry, soft cloth.

Never use benzine, thinners, alcohol or solvents of any kind, to avoid
    the possibility of discoloration and/or deformation.

The kit editing is going to be a personal taste, what I may think is an "awesome" sound may stink to you. I usually approach it by selecting a kit that has some sounds I like, copy that kit, then start to edit the sounds I don't like and keep tweaking from there. Be aware, this is kinda like searching for a unicorn, It will sound great to you for a while, then one day, not so good and you'll be editing again

For mounting the kick pedal to the pad. (I'm assuming you are using the KD-9?) Are you attaching the pedal to the pad, then placing it on the floor? It would seem to be the easiest way to do it, but once the pad goes on the floor the pedal will work it's self loose. Put the pad in place, then attach the pedal, make sure the pad and pedal are sitting flat, then tighten down the clamp on the pedal. That's all it should take.

Quote Originally Posted by devillwithin View Post
    Hey Everyone,

i recently bought a Roland TD4K2 and i stumbled on some questions that bumped in my head now.

1st.
    Does my drumkit need any kind of maintenance at some period of time or every time after playing.

2nd.
    does anyone have some experience with this kit on how they like programmed it to sound awesome?

3rd.
    i cant seem to get the bass-drum pedal stuck on the bass pad every time the holding mechanism just slides off the padmount.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great answers +1 :P

shouldnt be a big problem to keep it clean then, yea the kick pedal is only stuck when i fit it together when its on the floor like you said. too bad though as i always fold the kit a bit when im done.

about question nr 2 as for now im using nr5 this one sounds almost the same as a regular drumkit, now i got to figure out how to copy and edit it.

again thanks for your reply you've been a great help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by devillwithin View Post
    Hey Everyone,

1st.

2nd.

3rd.
    I built a custom kit on my TD-4K about a year ago, and it's still my favorite. I can send you the specs if you want. It sounds closest to the "Arena" factory set, though, so if you don't like that one, you might not like this one either.

As for Question 3 -- I find I have a different problem: the bass drum pad always wobbles and rattles, no matter how many times I adjust it to try to make it perfectly level and solid. Seems like the back screws/spikes aren't thick enough, so they rattle in the holes. Have you run into that issue too, or is it just mine?
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride