Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my right hand :(

drums-rock Guest

Unhappy my right hand :(

Hey my hands starting to really hurt me when i play and its really frustrating i would say my right hand would be the strongest and i use it the most would wearing gloves help? :S

User Info Menu

No. Gloves are for "enhanced grip" and they are an overpriced gimmick anyway.

drums-rock Guest

thanks vinny

User Info Menu

I just dissapointed you. Nothing to thank me for. hehe

User Info Menu

If they hurt you it means you've got your grip right. No pain, no gain, eh?
    Ride it out and you'll benefit from it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

what hurts? your wrist in joints? or are we talking about blisters on your hand?

User Info Menu

There are all kinds of pain in all types of areas, if your talking about muscle soreness that just means your tearing the muscles down which will eventually make them stronger (where no pain no gain comes into play). If your talking about joint pain, stop when it hurts, try taking your favorite anti-inflamatory of choice asperin Ibuprofin, etc. If the joint pain doesn't go away on it's own after a few days get it checked out. Pushing your joints when they are hurting you can lead to arthritis, carpal tunel and other types of more permanent more debilitating injuries. I have arthritis in the fingers of my left hand from years of fretting a guitar, I find that soaking my hand in hot water helps when the pain gets real bad.

User Info Menu

mabey your not holding the sticks right.
    If you want to win you cant be afraid to lose.

drums-rock Guest

thanks guys that " no pain no gain " comes in handy

User Info Menu

DR, I checked your profile, and I am concerned about your hands hurting you. If you are a rugby player, you are no stranger to the pain that comes from physically pushing your body to the limits. Athletes should know that limit, and should know that with some rest, the muscles recover.

I am concerned, as NF1 has suggested, that it my be the way that you are holding your sticks. Is it possible that you have been using a grip that is stressing your hands? For instance, I have read that the "German grip" (palms facing down, with all fingers tightly griping the stick) is especially hard on the wrists, and allows the impact vibrations of each stroke to travel into the hands, wrists, and forearms of the drummer.

Please give this serious consideration, as this could be a turning point. If you are causing damage to your body, you will not be able to drum for the next forty years! Jusy word to the wise, DR.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

drums-rock Guest

Thanks PB but ive only just started playing rugby and had about 5 -6 lessons.

I hold the sticks like so i can see my thumb nail and i cantsee any other nail as there tucked in i also try to hold the stick not to loose but not to tight but i think i have problems loosining up.

User Info Menu

Well, then, it goes back to what EL and CD were asking. Is the pin coming from the joints, or from the muscles of the hand? You can tell the difference by letting someone else move your hand/wrist. If there is pain when someone else moves it, there is a problem with the joints. If there is no pain when someone else move it, but there is pain when you move it, using your muscles, it is a muscle problem.

Just some old chiropractor knowledge. Hope that helps you isolate the problem.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

If its like, the marks on your hand, thats perfectly normal, have you seen some of those cats in drumcorp's? Their hands look like they burned them off in a fire

Just, ride that out if its hand sores, evently youll get calouses and everything will be good

If your talking muscles, i dont know what to say, ive never had a muscle problem

drums-rock Guest

Well its not sore when i just completly stop playing its just when im playing for like 10 but im sure its the joints.

User Info Menu

DR, if you're sure it's the joints, then I have to go with CD on this one. It may be time to go see a professional. Have it evaluated, and make sure that it isn't something serious. It would put your mind at ease, and once that's ruled out, you can work on any possible technique issues with a clear head. the fact that you posted this problem indicates how serious you take it. Go ahead and take the next logical step, for your piece of mind. I will say a prayer for you, bro.

drums-rock Guest

thanks pb your a great help that prayer means alot to me!

User Info Menu

Happy to do it, DR!

User Info Menu

Um, couple of things.

1. Vinny... gloves may be a gimmick to you but I find that they are very useful. As a matter of fact, I use Ahead gloves for a couple of different reasons which I have posted elsewhere. Different strokes for different folks but I do think it's unfair to make a blanket statement that they are a gimmick. However, I do agree with you that joint pain will not be alleviated with the use of gloves.

Regarding the pain. I can tell you that the longer I play (i.e. sets), I too get joint pain. I firmly believe it is carpal tunnel as I have the classic symptoms. I'm sure it's not completely due to playing however it is a contributing factor (maybe moreso than I would like to admit) but I've been pounding a keyboard for quite some time as well. After playing for a while, my forearms hurt and my grip weakens (yet another reason for the gloves). Unfortunately you can't say "Okay, time to stop, my arms/hands/wrists have had enough" in the middle of a gig so you just grin and bear it.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Yeas i am making a blanket statement. 90% of the people who keep dropping their sticks do it because of bad tecnique. A nice pair of overpriced gloves WONT help your teqnique. Practice will and thats free.

User Info Menu

Not sure if 90% is the actual number but surely a great deal of dropped sticks has to do with technique i.e. type of grip, grip placement, the way they strike the drum/cymbal, etc. And yes, practice is free. But there are a lot of other legitimate reasons for utilizing gloves that are not "overpriced gimmick" related. That's all I was referring to in my post. I meant no offense in what I stated.

Stix

PS. sorry to hijack the post

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats

User Info Menu

Neither did i.

User Info Menu

Vin - it's ALL good, bro!

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

drums-rock Guest

Lol thanks guys i think im going to see my doctor soon.

User Info Menu

yeah i wanted to play with gloves. Just because after jamming for 8 or 10 hours straight i get blisters.... So i need something to cover and stop that wear.

Even if it is my technique. My technique is comfortable how it is so i aint changing. :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I remember when I first started playing and my sister watched me jam, my right stick just lost control and I owned her face with it lol. An accident of course
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy