Thread: New to electric! :o

User Info Menu

Question New to electric! :o

I'm somewhat interested in getting an electric set in the future. For maybe recording some covers, or just messing around late at night.

I know nothing of them really. Whats the price of a pretty cheap one that not bad for the price. Something that'll last and is worth the money.

Also, what would I even need with it? An amp? ahhaa idk!
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: New to electric! :o

I personally use a Roland kit, but for quality vs. price I would would look at Yamaha. They are very portable and the build quality is good. In my opinion the module sounds in the lower end kits aren't as good as Roland's, but if you are looking to go the midi - vst route it won't matter. If you were going to consider a Roland, I would look into a td-4 or td-6, both pretty good entry level kits. I started with a td-3 but out grew that pretty quick. I would say you won't need an amp, kinda defeats the point of a quiet practice kit unless you want to use it to jam with friends. As for price, you can get in anywhere from $400 used up to tens of thousands; a Yamaha DTX500K can be had new for around $500-600 depending on where you are. Hope all of this helps.

User Info Menu

good headphones or even a good hi-fi might be a better option than a amp or a pa .....

User Info Menu

okay thanks guys! And, do i need any super technical stuff? Like interfaces and whatnot? If i want to just jam and whatnot, can I use just the kit and headphones?
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    okay thanks guys! And, do i need any super technical stuff? Like interfaces and whatnot? If i want to just jam and whatnot, can I use just the kit and headphones?
    Let me second some of what Linchpin said: the Roland TD-4 is a great place to start -- it's very compact (can sit in a 4 x 4 ft. area, including a place for your throne) and can be bought used for under $500. You won't need anything but headphones to jam, and it sounds great. (But be warned that not all headphones will produce a clear, undistorted sound.)

If your room isn't carpeted, you should invest in some foam tiles to put under it. Shop around and you can find enough to cover the needed area for around $25.
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Okay, cool! Thanks for clarifying
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Stick with yamaha or roland (as others have stated)...personally, I prefer the yamaha's (more bang for the buck)...as far as amps go..new - the simmons DA200s is alot of amp for the money and would be fine for practice as well as some gigs (if you choose to)...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    If you plan to record midi or trigger other software such as Addictive Drums you will need a midi to usb interface.
    Some E-kits have USB out so it would simply be plug and play... especially on a Mac.

User Info Menu

Okay, thats not bad. thanks
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Hay guys,

Im new to drumming (started in october) but I know a little about electric kits. You obviously want something that will take a beating, and if the budget permits then roland or yam are the 2 to go for. What i will say is roland uses more of a generic platform so that interchanging bits between roland and other manufactures works, where some yam stuff is quite specific to yamaha. Value for money though I think yam has the edge. I couldnt afford either even at second hand prices and as I am totally new I went for a generic low end alesis setup, which I have changed bits on as and when i can afford with roland bits.

In terms of recording you could go down the analog recording route but for the best results then use the midi or usb if it has it and record directly out of something like addictive drums like I do, I can give you all the information on doing this if you need it. What I end up with then is a wav file with the drums (straight out of addictive drums done in realtime, i dont use my old drum module anymore, i use a trigger IO and addictive) then you have the original track you played along too, and a video. What I do is mix all that and line it up in adobe audition if its just audio, or premier for video or something similar and spit it straight up to youtube.

Hope it helps

User Info Menu

Not trying to hijack your thread... I'm wanting to use Superior Drummer (maybe with Metal Foundry) in a live setting. I use an acoustic set (1998/9 Pearl Export Select in Amber Mist) and will be purchasing some triggers tomorrow. What is the bare minimum required for this?
    Things I have: A-Drums, iMac
    Things I'll be getting soon: Triggers (with brain/processor), Superior Drummer 2.0 (probably with Metal Foundry)
    Things I hope I don't need: Cubase 6.5, some sort of I/O hardware, an actual drummer

Anyone with experience, please speak up!
    Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

I was new to e-drums about 4-5 months ago. Fortunately, I stumbled on the Roland company. While I didn't go top end, not knowing how serious I would get, I bought the TD-11ks ($900 new) and added a 4th tom. A good place to start for headphones would be Shure or Audio-Technica (I have the latter, ATH-M50, which I got for $130 new). You could go with DW throne (the 3100 is about $80) and a DW kick pedal (the 3000 is just over $100). They won't let you down, but of course you can go higher. If you want to make a noise, get the Simmons da2000s drum monitor with 200 watts of power. I only use mine when the house is empty, but it's actually useful at other times when I am using headphones because I plug the phones into the monitor's headphone socket, which cancels the sound from the monitor itself...and low and behold I can EQ the headphone signal with the low/mid/high controls on the monitor, plus control the volume with a stick (the Simmons control knobs can be turned with a stick). Can't do that if I plug the phones into the drum module because then the module volume does not separate drum volume and headphone volume, and laptops usually have very annoying volume controls!). I also use the monitor with the headphones (crazy eh?) to get sound from the phones and the 'thump' from the monitor.
    Gradier

Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions