Thread: Acoustic to Electric

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic to Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Roland triggers are ridiculously expensive, and generally the only real point of buying an expensive trigger is when you need dual zone capability. You can get 5 drumdial triggers for approx $70 that do the same thing, and just as efficiently. Mesh heads will work on acoustic drums, but take some of the acoustic feel away from your drumset imo. You also have to be careful about scratching up your bearing edges with mesh, so I prefer to use Remo Muff'l sound controls instead. For cymbals I use percussion plus cymbal mutes with triggers taped underneath(this is far more cost effective than buying rubber e-cymbals, and they feel better too). You can also use cut-up mousepads for muting cymbals. You then need cables(1/4"), headphones or an amp, a module, and a hi hat controller(such as an alesis realhat).

I found this under Q and A. I would like to do this. But I don’t know what kind of Module to get. I am on a very tight budget and I just want something basic, simple, but is not a piece of junk. Help please
    Thanks,
    Brad

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic to Electric

I can help but first I need to know max budget. Get back to me with that, and i'll reply back with a a/e buildlist for your kit within your means.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Right now I might be able to squeeze 200. This would be for the whole project. I could probably spend more if I stretched it out over some time. I am watching a Roland TD7 and FD8 on eBay for $100. Is that a good start?
    Brad.

User Info Menu

Hey cool man I got the same module! I'm going to assume you either have or can borrow headphones to speed this along. For this example i'm going to think along the lines of a 22bd 12/16ft 14sn. So from here we'll need -

4 pack whirlwind 1/4" instrument cables - $24
    22/12/14/16" Pearl mesh heads - $50
    Module - $100
    5pack drumdial drum triggers w/ triggertraps - $70($50 without the traps, recommended for use on cymbals)

Total = $244. This is a good start for the budget specified. When you have a larger budget you can add in mutes and triggers for your cymbals, a trigger pedal for hi-hat, and possibly an e-drum amp for live practices or getting more volume. But what's above is everything you need to set up your drums.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

How about these Modules:

Boss DR-660 Drum Machine

ELECTRONIC DIGITAL ELECTRIC DRUM MODULE E-ED001 for OSP ALEXIS AND OTHERS

ALESIS ELECTRONIC DRUM MACHINE SR-16 SR16 16-BIT DRUM MODULE...

Yamaha DTXplorer Drum Trigger Module Brain Electronic

Brad

User Info Menu

I also found a Yamaha TMX, 3 old Roland pads1 kick two toms, three dual Yamaha pads a high hat pedal and all the cables for $175. Just spoke to the guy seemed pretty cool. Does this sound like a good deal?
    Thanks,
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    How about these Modules:

Boss DR-660 Drum Machine

ELECTRONIC DIGITAL ELECTRIC DRUM MODULE E-ED001 for OSP ALEXIS AND OTHERS

ALESIS ELECTRONIC DRUM MACHINE SR-16 SR16 16-BIT DRUM MODULE...

Yamaha DTXplorer Drum Trigger Module Brain Electronic

Brad
    Because I don't have experience with the other ones, and they don't appear to be exactly what you're looking for - i'd go with the DTXplorer out of the four. I think Yamaha makes a great module, and for a good price.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
    I also found a Yamaha TMX, 3 old Roland pads1 kick two toms, three dual Yamaha pads a high hat pedal and all the cables for $175. Just spoke to the guy seemed pretty cool. Does this sound like a good deal?
    Thanks,
    Brad
    Yeah it sounds like an excellent deal. I would go look at them, check the condition of everything, make sure there's no loose bolts and faulty cables(test them out) as that is a rather suspiciously low price for all of this. However, if you end up getting it, you might as well go with a regular e-kit instead of an acoustic to electronic conversion kit. I looked it up and it appears to be geared more towards external sounds than onboard ones like a dtxplorer or td-7 has. Great amount of inputs though, that's a good feature to have. You can use your computer with it if you pick up a midi to usb cable, alongside some software such as toontrack ezdrummer or bfd.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What do you mean by external and onboard sounds? And the pads are pretty old. The Roland’s are the octagon ones from the eighties. But if they, work I don’t care
    Brad

User Info Menu

By external I mean sounds gotten from something other than the module, and using the module specifically for inputs to get those sounds. Hooking it up to a computer and using software like bfd or toontrack is an example of that. You see the software is loaded with samples, and settings of those samples can be changed to suit different tastes. The sounds are sending from the software on the computer to the module, and then the headphones let you hear them unless you have an electronic drum amp available.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments