View Poll Results: What Drum Heads do you like best? (big 3)

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remo

46 45.54%
  • Evans

51 50.50%
  • Aquarian

21 20.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your favorite drum head?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whats Your favorite drum head?

I've only ever tried Remo, so I can't give any feedback on the other 2 brands.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Well thats fine, what heads do you use from remo?
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Currently have the stock DW/Remo heads. They're "OK", not great but not bad. I have Embassador clears on my roto toms, and they're much better than the stocks they replaced. I'll have to try coated heads next.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

oh nice, Ive used Coated Ambassador, they are pretty nice. Pretty standard. nice open sound. I'd recommend replacing the stock DW's by Remo. Only because stock heads are only useful to a point. They are just put on the drums stock because they are cheaply produced. However, they serve their purpose for a short time.
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I always seem to migrate back to Evans when I try something new to me. Currently I'm running with an EMAD / stock Remo on my kick and EC2 / G1 on my toms. I'm trying my first Aquarian products on my snare, which is a coated single ply with reverse dot / clear snare side.

One thing I noticed on the Aquarian head is the collar has sharper edges and fills up more space between the shell and hoop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    ...One comment concerning head coating: The coating material Aquarian puts on their heads is the best Ive come across in longevity.
    I very much agree on this statement!! Their coating has to be made out of Kevlar or something similar!

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    ...I'd recommend replacing the stock DW's by Remo...They are just put on the drums stock because they are cheaply produced...
    I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this statement. Unlike the stock Remo heads made in China for other kits, Remo USA makes DW heads per DW specs. My only issue is that they dent easily being an ambassador weight head.

But it's all good
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I have used alot of different heads. The reason I voted Aquarian; I have them on several snare drums and some toms, I put them on without thinking about the brand, just sort of what i happened to walk out of the music store with. Every drum that has the Aquarians just seems to sound more natural/true/consistent. My second choice are Remos. Evans is the only brand where I have been noticebly dissapointed in the sound after I put them on and used them for a while.

Also note, I used to use Remo coated black dots on all my snares. Now I like the Aquarian texture coated power dot. Evans also makes a good white dot coated snare head. So in some respects, Remo was the pioneer and the others learned from him, emulated his product and arguably made it better.
    Last edited by signia fan; 05-29-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Remo Coated Ambassador batter, Remo clear Ambassador reso's. 2" wide strip of felt for a bit of muffling. (Old school,I know) I've been using the same setup I used years ago and it still sounds great.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

My favorite heads??? Dats easy....
    In honor of my phriend roy burns
    for toms & snares are "aquarian coated super ii's"
    bassdrum is naturally a superkick ii...
    Makes my pearl rhythm traveller (20"x 8') bassdrum
    boom like a marching band drum
    wif a vater lambswool beater,and no muffling except,,,
    a strip of felt under right side of reso head,,,,,!!!!!

Thxs roy,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Very nice Phrogge
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I'm set in my ways when it comes to drum heads. Once I find something that sounds and feels good I'll use it for life.

Kick drums - Evans EQ3 heads
    Snare - Remo Coated Ambassdor
    Toms - When I want a more Rock/Metal sound I use Evans Clear EC2's Batter, G1 Clear - reso
    When I want more of a vintage tom sound I put Evans G2 coated heads on the batters and tune them a bit higher.

Note: I discovered about a year ago that using a 2 ply head on the bottoms of the floor toms gives me a deeper sound so some times I do that as well.

User Info Menu

So, do you guys think I should give the Aquarian coated batter heads a try? I'm looking to re-head in the fall when I travel back from the continent. Remember, when I get back here with them, there's no turning back. I'm stuck with them until a year after that!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    So, do you guys think I should give the Aquarian coated batter heads a try? I'm looking to re-head in the fall when I travel back from the continent. Remember, when I get back here with them, there's no turning back. I'm stuck with them until a year after that!

all the best...
    IMO, the coating Aquarian uses seems to be the most durable. If I knew had to stick with a set of heads for a year, I would take that into consideration. I moved from Remo coated Emps to Aquarian Response 2 last change and I am pleased. However, they do sound a bit different than the Emps. I say this because if you are currently playing Remo, I don't think you would be disappointed with Aquarian. The Super 2's are a 2 ply head with one ply being thinner... so it's kind of a middle ground between a single and standard double ply. Don't have any experience with the single ply coated Aquarian, but I have heard good things about those as well... same durable coating.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

My favorite snare batter head is the powerstroke 3. It kills unwanted overtone and stills give me the snap i want in my snares, suede heads for maple shelled toms because i feel it aids the toms deep sound, and ambassadors on birch toms because it compliments the sound the birch toms give without enhancing there sound in any way. then pinstripes for any other wood toms are made of. And power stroke pro for the bass, cuz i think it just the perfect head for a bass drum, snare side i like to use either the suede head when i want something a little more toned down or hazy ambassador when i want the more natural sound of the snare. and ebony head for all my toms and bass reso heads.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

nice ;D
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

MORE PEOPLE! :P *bump!*
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

At this point i have Ambassador coated on top for Toms and Ambassador Clear on bottom.
    Kick Evans EMAD2 - Trying it out on my 20" EQ3 Clear on my 22"
    Snare Evans G2 Coated and Remo Clear on bottom. This setup is on my Ludwig Acrolite. Yamaha steel I have coated Ambassador, reverse dot and clear on bottom. Lugwig Epic, Factory heads, (still new).
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Emad rocksss! I have it on home and practice kit
    Specs

Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Remo all the way! I use a Remo Coated Vintage Emperor on my snare, Clear Emperor bottom. Clear emperors on clear ambassadors for the Toms, clear Powersonic on Black Suede Reso. Ive been playing Remo my whole life. I've tried Evans, I've tried Aquarian, ive tried Attack, Remo is just the best.

User Info Menu

Evans EC2 frosted on all toms. Emad on Bass and use Ludwig med coated on snare. Tune toms to just above wrinkle and reso just a note higher. Snare pretty tight and reso even tighter
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Evan's clear EC2's/EC on toms. EC frosted with reverse dot/ hazy 300 on snare

User Info Menu

Two of my kits toms G2 over Genera Reso + Emad kick.
    Sonor Jungle - Remo Pinstripes over stock reso on toms and kick (thinking of getting clear Ambo replacement resos).
    Snares - Evans G1, G2 and Genera HD Dry over Hazy 300. Remo - Ambo and CS over Hazy Ambo. Aquarian - only one don't know name but 10 mil single ply with white power centre reverse dot with Z100 printed on it.

The only Aquarian head I have came fitted to a used snare I bought. I intended to change it as its so old its starting to go yellow! but it still sounds good so I haven't bothered. It doesn't appear to have had much use.

I am curious about Aquarian and intend to try some out in the future (maybe a tom head pack and a Superkick for the Sonor) but not many places seem to stock them in the UK and, with the exception of the sonor tom resos, at the moment all my heads are in good shape.

User Info Menu

I kinda mix it up a bit, on everything except the bassdrum I prefer to use Evans (either EC2 Clear/G1 Clear or Black Chrome/G1 Clear on the toms, and Power Center Rev. Dot/Hazy 300 or HD Dry/Hazy 300 on the snare). On the bassdrum I prefer to use Aquarian Superkick II. That is mainly because of the internal foam dampener ring, which helps a lot for me because I trigger my bassdrums a lot, and it still gives a great natural kick sound. If I had not been using triggers, I would go with EMAD, as I slightly prefer that sound (but it is impossible to use with triggers unfortunately, as it need a clear head surface to rest on). But yeah, for me this is the perfect head setup. Bassdrum reso head is usually stock or my custom logo heads.
    Last edited by Marius84; 12-22-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black (birch), 22x18"x2/10x8"/12x9"/13x10"/14x14"/16x16"
    Snares: 14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze, 13x5" Mapex Black Panther DL Cherry Bomb
    Paiste cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads

User Info Menu

Snare: Evans Reverse Dot
    Toms: Evans Coated G2
    Kick: Evans EMAD Heavyweight

User Info Menu

Having worked in a music store for years, I had the opportunity to try out heads at cost - there is a BIG markup on drumheads, so my cost was cheap enough to try lots of brands and combinations. I'll always be a Remo fan, but I have to agree with other comments about the coating on Evans heads lasting much longer and not marking up as much.

Anybody ever experiment with resonant heads? I once tried some combos to obtain maximum ring and volume on one of my sets, and installed Remo coated Ambassadors on the batter side and Remo clear Diplomats on the resonant sides. I got what I was looking for. This is a very good jazz combo, especially if you like to tune high. The only drawback was that Diplomats are so thin that they dent very easily if you are not careful how you handle the drum - just like the resonant side of the snare.

GeeDeeEmm