View Poll Results: What Drum Heads do you like best? (big 3)

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remo

46 45.54%
  • Evans

51 50.50%
  • Aquarian

21 20.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your favorite drum head?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whats Your favorite drum head?

Snare: Evans Genera HD batter, Hazy 300 snare side
    Toms: Evans EC2 clear batter, G1 clear reso
    Kick: Evans EQ3 clear batter, Ludwig vintage smooth white reso

User Info Menu

I usually prefer Remo across the board, but I do experiment from time to time
    recording set: Remo black suede Emperors over black suede Ambassadors on the toms, Aquarian High Energy over hazy on the snare, black suede Powerstroke 3 with center-ported flame graphic reso on the bass.
    set 2: black suede Ambassadors over clear Diplomats on the toms, black suede Emperor over hazy on the snare, Evans Emad 2 with black Pearl logo reso on the bass.
    set 3: pinstripes on the toms, Black X on the snare, Aquarian Super Kick 2 on the bass, and all stock Mapex resos.

User Info Menu

I prefer Remo. Remo Ambassador over Diplomat on the snare is awesome, I have never found a snare where this combination didn't produce a great sound, from 10" firecracker drums to deep 14" snares. Super dynamic and responsive.

Remo Vintage Emperors are awesome on toms. I am using concert toms, and these heads provide nice resonance without it being too much, and allow me to tune toms extremely low while still having tone and sustain. My 13" tom sounds lower than (or equal to) some people's floor toms!

Also, Remo's percussion heads are superior to any other synthetic items on the market. I have Fiberskyn heads on my LP Matador bongos. Tuned high, they create the classic bongo tone and sound almost exactly like skin, but feel smoother and I don't have to de-tune every time I'm done playing!

User Info Menu

I voted for both Remo and Aquarian. I use them both. All of my reso's are Ambassadors. I use the PowerStroke for my kick batter, coated Abassador on my snare, and alternate between clear pinstripes and texture coated Aquarian response 2's on my toms.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

Well, Ive changed my snare head to the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot on the Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 as well as my old circa 1984 CB700 floating head snare (built by Pearl) which now has Brass Die Cast hoops on it - sure looks good with that Maple shell~ and it just has an amazingly great tone and the power rim shot is like a big caliber pistol going off~!
    I still love the Aquarian Focus-X coated heads on the batters and Remo Emperor clear on the reso on all 3 kits I have. And I love the EMAD Coated batter and the EQ3 reso with the port. So - I mix em all together and I love the sound of my kit.

PS: Remo coated heads lose their coating so darned fast whereas Evans and Aquarian both keep their coatings for a long time - why Remo wont fix their coating problem is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 12-25-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

My gigging kit has Evans G2 over G1's on the toms, HD Dry over Hazy 300 on the snare, and EMAD on the kick.

My recording kit has Aquarian Response 2's over Clears on the toms, Aquarian Texture coated on the snare, and SuperKick / Regulator on the 22" kick.

I like them both equally, however, I find the Evans a little easier to tune. So when the Aquarians wear out, I'll be replacing them with Evans, probably EC2's.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Thankfully these companies exist! All these heads can make a starter drum kit sound great!

I'd probably go Remo for snares and toms. And Evans for the bass drum.

Snare: Remo controlled sound over tama stock
    Toms: clear ambassador over clear ambassador
    Bass: emad over aquarin

User Info Menu

For the snare, Aquarian Hi-Energy. Gives a solid, full sound with hardly any ring and is built like a tank. Mine lasted me for well over a year before it finally split along the edge. I haven't got one since then because I can't seem to find any in a shop at the moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    For the snare, Aquarian Hi-Energy. Gives a solid, full sound with hardly any ring and is built like a tank. Mine lasted me for well over a year before it finally split along the edge. I haven't got one since then because I can't seem to find any in a shop at the moment.
    That's funny, the GC's around here seem to carry almost no Aquarian heads EXCEPT the hi-Energy! Also my favorite snare head, BTW. They are available on Musician's Friend for around $18.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I'm mostly an Evans user.

My PDP has Black Chrome heads
    My Yamaha has G2 Coated
    My Orbitone has G2 Coated
    My Ludwig has G2 Clears

My sonor has Aquarian heads

User Info Menu

Evans mostly
    Clear EC2's/EC's on toms
    EC Frosted with reverse dot/Hazy 300 on snare.

User Info Menu

My favorite are Evans, but I've used Aquarian, Remo, Ludwig Silver Dots, and the old Premier Everplay heads (I'm old! lol).
    Currently, my entire kit is Evans, including all the snare drums.
    I just recently ordered a Genera HD for one of my snares, but it hasn't been delivered yet. I've used a Genera for a metal shell snare in the past and thought I'd try the Genera HD.
    Evans heads are very consistent imho.

User Info Menu

I've tried so many and still am not settled on one yet.

My favorite snare head is an Evans Genera HD Dry (I don't like a lot of ring)

Currently have some frosted EC2s over clear G1s on my gig kit............not bad, but probably going back to coated G2s over G1s

User Info Menu

I've been using and have been really happy with Evans Coated G2's. Recently, I've spoken to 3 people that rave about Remo Pinstripes. I may give those a try just to see/hear what all the fuss is about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    This is most likely a repost of a long lost thread. But, I just wanted to (re)create it to see what some of you guys are bashin' on!
    ( Just going to list the "BIG NAMES" in brands, there are tons of others, but these are the big 3 in competition!)

*Evans, Ludwig, Aquarian?

Feel free to give your input on why you like each, or why you don't like the other(s)! You can also tell us which sub-series of each you use! (ie: "Remo Pinstripes" "Evans Onyx" "Aquarian Hi-Velocity" etc...)

Have fun with it :D
    All Remo, here.

DW Collectors maple/mahogany shells (except snare).

Snare (6.5" x 14" Collectors stainless steel): Coated Ambassador X over Amb snare side (hazy)
    Toms: (14", 16" & 18") All clear Vintage Emps over DW clear resos (Remo Ambassadors)
    Bass (16" x 24"): Clear PS3 w/DW ebony reso (assume it's a Remo Ambassador, as well).

That's just good stuff!

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

As I'm fairly new to drumming, my experience is limited. I have a Yamaha Stage Custom with coated emperors as batters and clear ambassador as resonant on my toms. I have a PS3 batter and Yamaha factory reso on bass. I have Tama Starphonic Bubinga and a Tama Starclassic B/B both with Evans G1 batter and 300 hazy resonate heads. I have a DW Collectors NOB with CS batter and remo ambassador snare side. Finally I have Mapex Black Panther Blade with a coated ambassador batter and ambassador snare side resonant head. Been a Remo fan, but Evans is becoming a close second. Still experimenting.

User Info Menu

Snare: Evans Reverse Dot (batter), Ludwig WeatherMaster reso
    Toms: Ludwig WeatherMaster heavy (coated) batter, Evans EC Resonant resos
    Bass; Ludwig WeatherMaster 2-ply clear batter, Ludwig Weathermaster Smooth white reso

User Info Menu

After being a Remo guy for decades i've been won over by Aquarian. The TCP 14 and 13s are great upgrades from ambassadors. The coated dot head is also better then the Remo CS heads. I haven't heard an Aquarian that wasn't better than the competition. I'm experimenting with the New Orleans heads now. It was hard leaving Remo after so many years but Aquarian beat them out fair and square. I've tried Evans G1s, G2s, STs and St Drys and none of them did it for me. I hear that the 360s are good. i'll just have to see about them.

User Info Menu

Remo all around. Clear emperors over clear ambassadors on toms, coated PS3 over Ambassador snare side, coated PS3 batter Fiberskyn3 reso on the bass drum. I don't have anything bad to say about Aquarian, but I have zero love for Evans. Emad is an absolute piece of garbage and needs to be replaced every two or three months.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Evans Black Chrome impressed me sooo much.

User Info Menu

Who remembers the Kevlar snare heads?
    They were called Dura something, Duraline maybe?
    Back in my youth I would literally break 5 snares heads per night. So I used these for a bit, lasted great and I would wear a quarter size hole in them and it will still survive the night.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I've been using and have been really happy with Evans Coated G2's. Recently, I've spoken to 3 people that rave about Remo Pinstripes. I may give those a try just to see/hear what all the fuss is about.
    I usually hear people make fun of Pinstripes all the time, but I've never had anything but excellent results with clear Pinstripes. They always sounded good at medium-tight tuning on my cheap kits. I've tried other heads as well (ec2, Aquarian Studio X, coated Emps, G2) but I always consider clear Pins to be a "can't miss" option.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Who remembers the Kevlar snare heads?
    They were called Dura something, Duraline maybe?
    Back in my youth I would literally break 5 snares heads per night. So I used these for a bit, lasted great and I would wear a quarter size hole in them and it will still survive the night.
    I still use the Aquarians carbon Kevlar snare head

User Info Menu

Evans EMAD 2

Hydraulic Tom Clear

HD Genera Dry Batter Snare
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Depends upon the situation ,but I used to love Evans Stacatto ,but the coating was way to fragile.
    Picks up dirt ,dust (fuzzies) and when you try and clean it ,all the coating just washes away.

Using Remo Renaissance as a decent replacement,but not quite the same sound.

Remo old style Weather Kings are very iffy from a QA control in that I've gotten new ones that were crimped crooked resulting in an uneven seating on the drums bearing edge.

I really like the Attack clear heads with the built in muffle ring,but they are very hard to come by.