Thread: plastic headed sticks

User Info Menu

Default plastic headed sticks

i was wondering why many people dont play with plastic tipped sticks? is there something wrong with them or can it damage your set?

User Info Menu

Not at all. I play them a lot. But no comparison to nylon.

User Info Menu

i know i just never see them, and i play with them and i feel kinda weird sicne all i see is wooden sticks,and i just found these sticks in my attic, i dont wanna damage my cymbals or anything

what are the pros/cons?

User Info Menu

I've never heard of plastic tipped sticks...but they would probably dent your heads...and they wouldn't be to good for your cymbals either...unless you mean nylon? and I use those, but a lot of people complain about the tips breaking off really fast...but I've never had that problem
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

ya i guess t hey are nylon i just didnt know the right words for them

User Info Menu

yea lol..nylon..i dont really have a preference for nylon or wood over another. Nylon tipped sticks will do no harm to your cymbals or drum heads. The only difference between wood and nylon tip is that nylon will bring out a little more tone in your ride cymbal. Nylon will make your ride a little louder and more defined. Other than that theres not really any difference btwn wood and nylon.

User Info Menu

I use nylon for the more clearness sound of the ride and crash. also my drum skins arnt damaged because of them. well if i showed you a picture you might disagree hehe.

User Info Menu

ya i just had no idea, i found these sticks in an old piano bench in our house, have no idea whose they were or where they came from, so i didnt know if i was messing something up because all i saw were wooden sticks on everything, sorry for the noob mistake

User Info Menu

Nylon tipped sticks make a higher pitched sound compared to wood tips because they are more solid. Very good for faster progression beats.

User Info Menu

I find nylon tipped sticks also respond and rebound differently to wooden tipped sticks - I prefer them, I find they have more bounce. Also, like Diesel said, higher pitch and I also find them just a touch clearer - for the most part people can't tell the difference - but to me, it's a big difference, especially because I am the one using them.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

The only thing you have to look out for is if the nylon tip breaks off. The way the stick is shaped underneath that will dent your drumheads.

User Info Menu

That happens with the cheaper sticks with nylon heads. I havent experienced the problem with higher brand sticks. Im using wood atm though.

User Info Menu

I'm a hard hitter and I haven't found a pair of sticks I can't break.

User Info Menu

As stated above, nylon tipped sticks will give a much cleaner, clearer sound on the ride cymbal and hats. Has something to do with the density of the tip. The wood tip has more "give" to it and tends to muddy up the sound of the cymbals. The rebound is a bit more "snappy" as well. But it really comes down to preference. I like the Vic Firth Rock N sticks - but I also play the Guitar Center Stickbrick sticks (10 pr./$10) in the 5A size. I break way too many sticks to be paying $5. or so a pair.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

im thinking of buying better sticks now that I have my technique down and everything. I never thought it was a god idea to buy 12 dollars sticks if your just gonna break em in half a month. well iv had the same sticks for probably over 5 months and no breakage, i guess thats alright huh?