Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confidence

User Info Menu

Default Confidence

I was in a band for 2 1/2 years and out of nowhere they let me go. Not one fight or disagreement in the whole time. Practices were good and shows went well. They said my timing was off at times, however many times I saved the band from derailing on stage because of a mistake by keeping good time. We also recorded a CD in one week (bass player was moving) and had to fix many drum parts. I recorded 5 songs in one night, no time to listen or mull over any parts. Again part of the reason they let me go, they didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money in the studio on my drum parts.
    Anyways I need to improve just like anyone else and yes I am working to improve my timing, but struggling to get my confidence back up. Had many friends tell me it was for the best and musically everyone should be looking at themselves not just the drummer and if the problems were that bad why were more shows booked? And why wasn't practice time utilized for improvements?
    Any helpful advice would be cool. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Confidence

Hi Pab, welcome to the forum. It seems like they should have communicated with you better. I've been let go from a band before. Sometimes they'll give you a reason but you find out later it had to do with something else. Either way, shake it off and move on. Have faith in your ability and if there's anything you need to work on, you can shed and make it better. Just get out there and find a new gig. No sweat!

User Info Menu

Use this experience as a way to motivate you to work hard and improve. Sounds like you have identified some areas you need to work on so turn the "negative" energy you may be feeling into positive energy to practice hard. Everyone falls. But it's how you pick yourself up that counts. Get up, brush off the dust and keep walking forward. You will get your confidence back in no time. Keep a positive attitude and outlook.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Use this experience as a way to motivate you to work hard and improve. Sounds like you have identified some areas you need to work on so turn the "negative" energy you may be feeling into positive energy to practice hard. Everyone falls. But it's how you pick yourself up that counts. Get up, brush off the dust and keep walking forward. You will get your confidence back in no time. Keep a positive attitude and outlook.
    Great post!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys you made a difference.

User Info Menu

I have been on both ends of this situation. I have been replaced in a band, more than once over the years, and have also had to remove anther member of a band several times. There are many reasons why this happens, and I have found that playing ability usually is NOT the reason that it's done.

The majority of the time it's due to "the chemistry" among the members. When you have 4,5 or even more people that spend a great deal of time together, it just has to be right. I don't drink and have been replaced because someone wasn't comfortable around me because I didn't "party" hard enough. Maybe one of the members had a "friend" that played. The same instrument as you. They want their friend. I could go on and on.

Move on. Be prepared and play to the best of your ability. Life is all about changes and look on this as a chance to be involved in something new and better.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

+ 100 on the advise of Drummer,Drumslide and Veafer who have experienced or gone through that ordeal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pab75 View Post
    They said my timing was off at times, however many times I saved the band from derailing on stage because of a mistake by keeping good time. We also recorded a CD in one week (bass player was moving) and had to fix many drum parts. I recorded 5 songs in one night, no time to listen or mull over any parts. Again part of the reason they let me go, they didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money in the studio on my drum parts.
    that is not an excuse to release someone from a band. im going to be straight up with you man, if it was going to take that much to fix the drum tracks and there was that much money and time restrictions, then you guys werent ready to record in the first place. i am very sure that that drums arent all that needed to be fixed. i am a 20+ year professional and there is no way i can get every single hit perfect without doing some kind of modification to the track. it almost sounds to me like someone wanted an A+ recording in just a couple nights for next to nothing. it just doesn't happen like that unless this is your guy's full time jobs and you do nothing else.

if thats the reason they released you, then in my opinion, you needed a new band anyways.

User Info Menu

As previously mentioned, time to pick yourself up and dust yourself off. On to the next one. Don't get bitter, and don't badmouth your former bandmates. That stuff always comes back to haunt you.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

The music business is a cruel mistress.

Just ask Pete Best, the guy Ringo replaced or John Rutsey, the guy Neil Peart replaced. Just gotta accept that those guys were at a different level in their musical development than you. For curiosity sake check them out and see whos drumming for them now.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    that is not an excuse to release someone from a band. im going to be straight up with you man, if it was going to take that much to fix the drum tracks and there was that much money and time restrictions, then you guys werent ready to record in the first place. i am very sure that that drums arent all that needed to be fixed. i am a 20+ year professional and there is no way i can get every single hit perfect without doing some kind of modification to the track. it almost sounds to me like someone wanted an A+ recording in just a couple nights for next to nothing. it just doesn't happen like that unless this is your guy's full time jobs and you do nothing else.

if thats the reason they released you, then in my opinion, you needed a new band anyways.
    This.

User Info Menu

Rutsy leaving Rush was mutual. He didnt like the touring or the musical direction.

User Info Menu

I've never been let go by a band. I've quit 2, 1 was when I went into the service, and the other to go to the band that traveled some, broke up, and the bass player and I put together a band that stayed together for about 30 years.

There were personel changes over the years, but only once was someone actually "fired".

At the same time, I've had friends of mine that were let go for 1 reason or the other, usually it's the "chemistry" crap.

As for confidence. I've always had it, but, I couldn't tell you why, or how to get it.

I think it's just faith in your ability to play, and be able to play in any situation.

Find another band, or, better yet, find someone that wants to put a band together with you. It's not easy, but, you get to pick people who share your idea of what you want to play and how you want to play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    As for confidence. I've always had it, but, I couldn't tell you why, or how to get it.

I think it's just faith in your ability to play, and be able to play in any situation.

Find another band, or, better yet, find someone that wants to put a band together with you. It's not easy, but, you get to pick people who share your idea of what you want to play and how you want to play it.
    good advice right there. it aint easy for sure, but the best thing you can do is have confidence in yourself, even if it doesnt jive with everyone else.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't take being let got by a band to heart. I've never been let got but I did choose to leave several bands and move on in my career.

Sometimes the reason a band will let someone go has nothing to do with their playing ability. One band I was in fired the bass player because he didn't look like a "rocker". He had short hair and wore glasses. He was the best bass player I ever played with and I was against letting him go, but I was out voted so they brought in the new guy. He had long hair and looked the part, he was also a very good bass player, but he was a pain in the *** to work with.

Sometimes a band will think the next guy will be an improvement, when it reality it just ends up being a pain in the arse.

User Info Menu

Just about everyone's time is off once in a while. It's often a legitimate reason for somebody getting booted from a band. However, it's also a classic excuse to give for letting somebody go for some other unspecified reason. Either way, you've got to move forward.

Some people have no problem pointing the finger at others, even when they have their own personal blindspots the size of an semi.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I've never been let go by a band. I've quit 2, 1 was when I went into the service, and the other to go to the band that traveled some, broke up, and the bass player and I put together a band that stayed together for about 30 years.

There were personel changes over the years, but only once was someone actually "fired".

At the same time, I've had friends of mine that were let go for 1 reason or the other, usually it's the "chemistry" crap.

Good post! Well said!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Good post! Well said!

Thanks Late8 (are you a pool player by chance?)

Working with musicians is not the easiest thing to do. We can argue over the dumb stuff all the time. Egos come into play all the time, yet you need a healthy one to get on stage and play in front of people.

When we put our band together, we didn't always pick the "best" guitarist, or keyboard player, whatever. We wanted people who were good (obviously) but fit with what we wanted to do and were willing to put the time into it to make it work.

I don't suffer from a lack of ego or confidence, but, where I was known as a pain in the butt was rehearsals. If you miss, you better be in the hospital.

Everyone I worked with had a lot of leeway in what they did on stage. That is why I pushed rehearsals so that you got to know how a given player does his/her stuff and you know where they are going if on a given song someone's solo or whatever changes. It's not that it happens often, but, it does happen, and you want everyone to be on the same page at all times.

User Info Menu

Yes Rick I play pool....

User Info Menu

That is why I pushed rehearsals so that you got to know how a given player does his/her stuff and you know where they are going if on a given song someone's solo or whatever changes. It's not that it happens often, but, it does happen, and you want everyone to be on the same page at all times.
    ^Folks, this is something that can't be taught from a book, or learned in drum clinics. I'm amazed at the amount of resources musicians drop on lessons but the philosophy of a working band is hardly ever mentioned by an instructor. "Street smart" is what I call this kind of knowledge and I'm glad there are drummers here who go out of their way to share this to the up and coming ones...

Bravo rick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^Folks, this is something that can't be taught from a book, or learned in drum clinics. I'm amazed at the amount of resources musicians drop on lessons but the philosophy of a working band is hardly ever mentioned by an instructor. "Street smart" is what I call this kind of knowledge and I'm glad there are drummers here who go out of their way to share this to the up and coming ones...

Bravo rick!

Thanks again Late8.

What I posted was the kind of stuff that, as you said, can't be taught, only picked up with experience.

Another thing I learned the hard way, was don't form a band with just your friends.

I know that many have made it work, but I've seen it fail more than a few times when one person isn't as good at what they do as the rest of the band, and you have to replace them. Went through that once, never did it again.

User Info Menu

Great advice guys thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pab75 View Post
    Great advice guys thanks.

As I said, musicians can be tough to deal with. Don't let what happened to you linger on.

Strange things can happen in the music business. You will get in a band for the simple fact that you want to.

While you are looking for a band, practice to songs that you might not usually play to. It will help you become a more rounded drummer. There are too many people out there that are 1 trick ponies, don't be one of them. Be adaptable, it's the best thing a drummer can be.

User Info Menu

when the musicians are ready, the music will appear

ive always stressed to fellow musicians (not to mention barflies trashing good music on the jukebox) how hard it is for a group of people to get together and actually make music.
    its not easy, if the band doesnt gel whats the point?

User Info Menu

Thanks Late8 (are you a pool player by chance?)Everyone I worked with had a lot of leeway in what they did on stage. That is why I pushed rehearsals so that you got to know how a given player does his/her stuff and you know where they are going if on a given song someone's solo or whatever changes. It's not that it happens often, but, it does happen, and you want everyone to be on the same page at all times.
    I hear that, Rick. I've been impressed with my current band's ability to do this, even going back to our first show. I don't think we've ever had a song go completely sideways at a gig.

Always listen to your band mates, but never forget who's driving the bus.
    Mmm... Saturns.